Newbie from Oklahoma

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

DieselS10

Newbie from Oklahoma

Post by DieselS10 »

Hello guys!

A little background, my first truck was a '74 4wd F100 that I bought when I was 14, second was a '54 F250 that I bought that same year because I wanted a '53-'56 4wd, so I went to work. Got the old body on the new chassis, but at 15 it didn't ever turn out like I wanted so I sold it and bought an '85 4wd S10 at 16 in 1990. Now that little S10 has 1 ton axles, air ride, twin transfer cases, 37" tires, a 2005 Duramax/Allison and I stretched the frame to add an extended cab with the long bed chassis.

It's a great little truck, I drive it everyday and it does everything I need to to, but my kids sure don't like the little jump seats in the rear. I'll never sell it and will likely continue to drive it daily, but it's time for a second truck.

Friday I am going to look at a '69 crew cab motorhome, that I looked at about 15 years ago, that they finally decided sell and have actually priced it. It's had the back of the cab cut out, so I'll have to replace it, but having done body work for 25 years it won't be a problem. It will be a crew cab long bed with a normal bed and I'm thinking about stretching the cab to accommodate front doors for the rears doors, but I haven't decided yet. I have also been saving drive train components for about a year for this build and by this weekend should have the last piece. They are, a 1995 12 valve Cummins with 140k miles, an NV4500 transmission, a 241DHD transfer case, a '79 SRW F350 Dana 60 for the front and a Disc brake Dana 80 rear axle from a cab & chassis Dodge. Oh and the Cummins is from a FORD school bus with the Ford ID plate, lol, that'll shut the Dodge guys up. I will 4 link both axles with medium duty air bags at all for corners also fit a plush ride and great load capacity like on the S10. Sorry for the novel, lol.
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Re: Newbie from Oklahoma

Post by Mancar1 »

Welcome aboard from Gerber, Ca.
Keep on Trucking.......John
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts.
Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

Sounds Awesome! Welcome from a fellow Oklahoman! What part of the state are you from? Your climbing pics kind of looks like some parts of the Osage county near here. The 69 crew cab sounds like a sweet project. I have been wanting to do something similar for some time. Just can't find a 67-72 crew cab. You'll have to keep us updated with lots of pics and more novel. ;) Any way, welcome!
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)
DieselS10

Post by DieselS10 »

Thanks guys! Wilfred, I'm in Chelsea, NE of Tulsa about 40 miles. The pic in the rocks was taken in Disney, OK, on the south end of Grand Lake. One more day and I get to go look it over and seal the deal!
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

:wel: Colorado!
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
DieselS10

Post by DieselS10 »

I got to go see it today! Turns out it's a Feb of '67 model. It's in very good condition for a 49 year old truck from this area. Almost no rust, there is a little spot in front of the hood emblem on the drivers side, and the very bottom rear corner of the driver's rear door has a little bubble under paint. It also has an awesome grill guard that mounts to the bumper that's in gear shape. No dents were obvious, under dash A/C, power brakes and it's showing 62,080 on the odometer. Now the bad, lol. The rear of the cab and the rear center of the roof was cut out for access to the motorhome, but I knew that going in. That just makes my wanting to make the cab more spacious easier to do.

I'm going to bring them the cash for it Monday and then bring it home!
Darren

Post by Darren »

I thought that looked like the Grand River Dam spillway. I've seen a lot of crawlers there. If you pass on that crew, let me know. I'm on the OK/AR state line not far from you.
"Do it now, or wish forever that you had."
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

:wel: from California! Cool find, I look forward to seeing progress on your build! :fr:
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
DieselS10

Post by DieselS10 »

Thanks Popeye! Sorry Darren, but picked it up today, along with another '68 for the back of the cab and bed.

Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

An F350 motorhome? Awesome - didn't know such a beast existed. Looks like you have the sliding rear glass doors like mine, and that cab over sleeping compartment is huge. Is the camper solidly fixed to the back of the cab around the walk through?
Look forward to seeing the build :thup:

1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
DieselS10

Post by DieselS10 »

This one is an F250, I was in it about 15 years ago and forgot about it until a friend recently happened on to it and told me about it. The front area over the cab is right at 7' and I'd sagging pretty bad. It's trimmed out quite well around the cab cut out. It's a shame it's so dilapidated, but it'll make a great pickup.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Still very cool - I bet that was a lot of fun to take trips in back in the day.
I saw the sag - mine's a regular cab and the much shorter forward section is doing the same. You may be luckier than me when it's time to close off the walk through because I had pretty serious distortion. The camper box was screwed to the roof and rear sheet metal, and welded to the frame rails. Every time the chassis flexed, it put stress on the back of the cab. To make things worse, the framing had settled just enough after 45 years to put much of the weight of the camper box on the cab, distorting the roof and and compressing the passenger rear corner. Fixable, but no fun. If I had to do it again, I'd either get another cab, or replace all of the back of the cab and the entire roof from a couple of inches above the drip rail to get around the distortion.
With any luck, yours will be an easier fix. I'm looking forward to seeing the old girl's transformation. With the skills and parts you already have, it should be one hell of a ride.
I may be biased, but she would look awful good with that wheelbase and dual rear wheels.... :wink:
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
DieselS10

Post by DieselS10 »

It does appear that it'll be just as you described, the camper is all welded and it looks to be leaning on the cab. Hopefully it isn't too much trouble. From my calculations the current wheelbase of 174" is 3/4" to short, lol. I can easily make that up when I 4 link both ends. No duals though, just a single wheel 1 ton. It'll likely get setup with the sweet spot in the air bags set at around 4"s of lift and get 35" tires, unless Cooper actually makes the STT Pro's in a 40" like they are claiming. If that actually happens I'll probably order the 40's for the S10 and put the 37's that are one the S10 on the crew since they are new.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I can't wait to see how this beast turns out (and you've inspired me to get my butt back in gear - my build has been in limbo for a couple of months) :thup: