Got my 1st Bump

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

RottenAppleRed

Got my 1st Bump

Post by RottenAppleRed »

I'll start off with an introduction...my name is Nate, I'm 40 & I've been a Ford addict since the age of 12. It started with my parents snagging a '70 Cougar XR7. It was promised to be my 1st car, but it was a bit too far gone for our abilities or budget by the time I was driving age. My 1st official car came at the age of 18 and was none other than a '70 Cougar XR7 with an M code Cleveland 4V and auto trans. I borrowed my parents' '72 Impala to drive while I built the Cleveland at the automotive machine shop I was employed at. That thing was a force to be reckoned with on the street.

Life got in the way, along with a new interest in oil cooled GSXRs and I locked the Cougar up in the garage. After 11 years without action, I drug it out and fired it up for a few runs before a complete tear down for much deserved body work. The project has been dragging along and I started looking for a '67-'72 F100 to cruise around the car scene. After a year and a half of looking for the right one, I caught a craigslist ad for a '72 LWB Custom 25 minutes from home. It was a one owner farm truck that was kept in a concrete floored barn. It does have some typical Indiana blemishes for a truck that is 45 years old.

My plans are unclear as of now, but I originally wanted a Bumpside as a mascot for a graphics/printshop that I run. I make stickers, banners, signs, wraps, etc. I wanted to 2 tone flat wrap the truck as an option for hot rodders to look into. My wife thinks I should just fix the suspect rotten spots, speed patina the repairs and clear the whole truck as is. It still has the original paint, which is Candy Apple Red and has aged well. When I told my buddy the Ford name for the factory color, he said "more like rotten apple red"...hence the truck's official name Rotten Apple Red.

I have plans to lower the truck with drop beams, hangers and shackles. A disc brake conversion and 20" steelies are in order as well. I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go with the drivetrain...it is has the factory 302, 3 on the tree, but will likely get one of my Cleveland setups. The interior doesn't need much...maybe a reupholstered bench and some gauge updates.

Thanks for indulging my long winded 1st post. I look forward to gaining some bump knowledge. Take care.
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Got my 1st Bump

Post by 67mann »

:wel: from NY
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:wel: from Georgia!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts.
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

Here are some pics from the ad.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Welcome aboard from Northern Ca.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Welcome from Michigan! Good looking truck.
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Nate , :wel: to the best site period.

Pull up a chair and stay awhile. :fr:

Hope you like it here :pray:

I like the Clevelands.
I put a 4v Cleveland in a short bed 72 .
You can make that Cleveland very fast. :cuss:

Good luck with your truck.
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

:wel: from MA. Awesome looking truck! Have you considered the IFS swap from a Crown Vic to lower the front end, get your disc brakes, and improve handling all in one shot? There are a few threads around here of people doing just that, so plenty of experience to draw from before diving in.

-Joe
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

crazyhorse wrote:Mr Nate , :wel: to the best site period.

Pull up a chair and stay awhile. :fr:

Hope you like it here :pray:

I like the Clevelands.
I put a 4v Cleveland in a short bed 72 .
You can make that Cleveland very fast. :cuss:

Good luck with your truck.
I bought the truck last Monday, met my buddy to load it on the trailer, then immediately flew to Phoenix. I took the iPad and have been all over this site during every minute of free time I have. This seems like the kind of place I'll fit in.

Priar to going back to my wood roots and being able to earn a living with my talent, I was an automotive machinist for 8 years...specializing in cylinder heads. The temporary Cleveland I may be running this summer is the one out of my '70 Cougar. I might as well put it to use while I wait on the car's bodywork. My Cleveland setup made 462 HP at the flywheel. It ought to scoot the pickup down the road. The finished plan is to have a sturdy bottom end with open chamber heads and a Pro M mass air setup, force fed with a TorqStorm supercharger.
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

MadJoe wrote::wel: from MA. Awesome looking truck! Have you considered the IFS swap from a Crown Vic to lower the front end, get your disc brakes, and improve handling all in one shot? There are a few threads around here of people doing just that, so plenty of experience to draw from before diving in.

-Joe
I sure have and with a buddy that durbies Crown Vics, I shouldn't have any problem getting my hands on one. My homework on wheel fitment will be extensive as I weigh the suspension options. Whatever I do, I want it to be low on the time consumption scale. The summer is my busy season for work and it is a must that I start cruising this truck soon...before I lose my mind, not having my '70 Cougar back. I would love to do as much of the mods with salvage parts and custom fab, not drop in kits that eat up the whole budget.
ok68crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ok68crewcab »

Welcome. Enjoy your new project.
:fr:
2 Blessed 2 Be Stressed
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

:wel: from Alberta, Canada!
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070