Another newbie...

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

71mishmash

Another newbie...

Post by 71mishmash »

Hi guys, I’ve been harvesting info all over the net for my project and decided that enough was enough and joined.
So last summer I purchased an F250 with a mishmash of parts. It started off as a father son project and a local guy who restores the highboys had it on CL. It’s a 71 chassis, with a 1965 390 4 speed and a 68 F100 body that was off of a 2wd automatic truck. The original body was too far gone to be saved. As of now, I’ve swapped in a disc front axle, it gets a 460 swap the first week in June. It will also sport a set of west coast mirrors soon and some powder coated stock rims. I'm setting it up to tow a large trailer. It has the original Harbor Blue and white paint and for the most part no major rust in those vital areas (floor and body mount areas). I have added a few parts, a new radio (classic car stereo with orig knobs) and speaker set up. Fixed some dash cluster issues, reupholstered the seat, fixed the hubs, cleaned and coated the inside of the gas tank and a bunch of little stuff.
The truck is mainly stock with a few additions that were not orig. (reproduction/NOS parts from Dennis Carpenter/LMC truck and others). It does not have PS or AC, but sports only one fan belt and a whole lot of open real-estate under the hood.
I’ve had a blast piddling with it over the last year and really enjoy puzzling things out…obviously with help from those much more knowledgeable than I, who are on this site!
I think my plan is to get the truck to a good jump off point, fixing the little stuff like restoring and sealing the heater box, door rattle kits, and a bunch of little stuff. Once that stuff is done I’d like to blow it apart for the body work and paint. I’m thinking that I like the original color and would go back with that but maybe add a bit of flair with some metallic flake or pearlescence to add some depth and uniqueness…jury is still out on that. I’ve contemplated leaving the original “patina” but haven’t made up my mind on that either as I don't want to let it degrade further.

I'm a retired AF/Army vet with 25 yrs and live in the Colorado. I got hooked with a Highboy my dad bought new in 1976. We drove that thing all over and used it as a truck is intended. He restored it but it was a total loss after an accident. So, in a nut shell that's me and the truck.
I am driving it like crazy and just love it. I really appreciate the experience on this site and look forward to learning more from you all.
Respectfully,
Sean
lamogo33

Re: Another newbie...

Post by lamogo33 »

Hello and welcome to the website. I'm new around here too. I'm sure you'll find plenty of help and suggestions while here. I'm just glad you like driving your truck. I have quite a few classics and I have been waiting for warmer weather to pull them out. I also own a 69 F350 DRW that I'd be driving now if my tabs would arrive. Hopefully by the end of this week.

As far as mechanical stuff I can't help much, but any questions on paint and body work I might be able to do. See ya and again, welcome.
1928 Model A Sedan
1952 Ford Tudor Sedan (Mainline)*
1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB w/a 454*

* = Daily Driver
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

:wel: glad you are here. Sounds like a sweet looking rig. Get into the forums and see if you can post some pics because i would love to see it. Look forward to catching you here, and welcome again. :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:yt: :wel: from NY
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts.
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Welcome aboard from a retired Navy Chief, from Northern Ca. Thank you for serving all those years.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Welcome from Michigan. Can't wait for pictures
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
71mishmash

Post by 71mishmash »

Finally got around to a few pics.

Mancar1, thank you for your service as well!
Hope all is well out there. Happy late 4th!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.