Longtime lurker and bumpside owner

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

MTM

Longtime lurker and bumpside owner

Post by MTM »

Hello, my name is Mitch. I live on a small farm with my family in Snohomish, Wa USA, north of Seattle for those who are unfamiliar with the area. I have been visiting this site since pretty much the beginning. I have owned my 69 Ford F100 4x4 since I started driving. It is a great truck that I intend to own forever. It has been very reliable, though I need to do a full brake job, steering box and some rust repair to get it back in shape.

The truck was in nice driver condition 18 years ago, but unfortunately the PO didn't quite stop much of the rust before painting. Luckily it is white and therefore forgiving to repaint, which I plan to do a piece at a time as I get the rust neutralized and sealed. I cut out and replaced the front cab mounts long ago. I have replaced alternators, regulators, shocks, belts, hoses, batteries, bulbs, carb rebuilds, ignition switches, headlight switch etc. Other than that it has rarely needed anything.

The PO converted the truck to power steering and. power brakes which is definitely nice. Drum brakes are fine, on the 4x4s at least, when you have vacuum assist no matter what people say. The power steering is strong and easy to maneuver but is a little too powerful, and lacks feel to me, but I put a smaller diameter aftermarket steering wheel in long ago which helps to stiffen it up.

The truck has an original 360 which was supposedly "overhauled" 25 years ago. I have no Idea what they did to It but they did paint the engine up real nice. The engine is stock other than a Mallory A6 CDI and Pertonix points eliminator kit. The base timing is set more advanced than stock 10-12 if i remember correctly and it has dual exhaust out the back. It runs great and gets great mileage for what it is. I average 13-14 most of the time and can get into 15mpg range if I drive it correctly. I have been told it wasn't possible to get those numbers, but I have calculated it and adjusted for larger tires enough times that I know that I am very close on those numbers. When I first started driving it everybody told me that 360s were slow. I believed it and didn't care too much. When my carb to cab linkage broke I finally discovered that they aren't nearly as slow if you set the throttle to fully open! For about the first 10 years that I owned the truck it was at 3/4 throttle when on the floor, I felt stupid for never checking that, but I guess I had heard that they were low compression and slow so I thought it was normal. I do check every vehicle I ever own for that now, haha.

Our other bumpside is a 69 F250 CS. It has dual tanks, a big heavy step bumper and a gun rack. The truck is all stock other than the fact that it had a 460 swapped into it. The engine is gone but I have a 460 out of a rusty 4x4 Econoline that I am going to use as a donor for my 4x4 Econoline camping rig. The truck just needs an engine and a radiator.

I have visited all of the Ford truck sites, but this one is by far the best, and most relevant. I look forward to being able to interact here instead of just reading.
MadJoe

Re: Longtime lurker and bumpside owner

Post by MadJoe »

:wel: from MA!

-Joe
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

:wel: from San Diego.

I remember my in laws were contemplating a move to Snohomish a few years ago. They visited quite a few times, and even had the local paper delivered down here. Looked like a beautiful place. Any pics of your trucks?
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts.
MTM

Post by MTM »

No pics of trucks right now, but I will add some soon. ai do have a few of my 68 LTD that I will attempt to post since is only half off topic since it is an Fe car. We refreshed the engine last summer and It runs great. It is my daily driver most of the time.
MTM

Post by MTM »

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Welcome aboard from Gerber, Ca.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Nice looking engine. I'm guessing you have an oil leak, and I may know why :wink:
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
MTM

Post by MTM »

No oil leak that I have noticed, why?
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

The motor is upside down :lol:

Sorry...couldn't resist
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:lolprev: :wel: from NY
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/