Hi Folks- new guy, old truck.

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

the elder rocker

Hi Folks- new guy, old truck.

Post by the elder rocker »

Hi Folks-
Well, I had a '67 F100 Custom Cab short wide bed follow me home. Not too sharp on the Ford products but I couldn't pass this one. It's factory red (mostly!) with a '66 mercury 390 under the hood and a Granny low 4-speed. It's rough, it needs parts and it's been sitting for 20 years outdoors. Worked hard before that. My kind of truck! After unsticking the front drums it drove onto the trailer! (Liberal application of a 3-pound Dearborn screwdriver!)Not a sign of a brake but no guts, no glory! Besides, pulling that beater on to the trailer with a come-a-long in 100 degree weather didn't sound good at all! I have made some headway with a brake refurb and some carb and suspension work. It now runs, drives stops and steers. Only just on some of that. I'm sure I will have questions since most of my experience is with Bowties and British cars. Thanks in advance for any advice and patience!
Best regards,
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS
lamogo33

Re: Hi Folks- new guy, old truck.

Post by lamogo33 »

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear your enthusiasm about your new purchase. I had a 69 F350 I pulled from a field and had a few questions. Like you I'm from the Chevy farm and came looking here. Typically found my answer. I recently sold my truck but still kinda lurk here. Enjoy your time!
1928 Model A Sedan
1952 Ford Tudor Sedan (Mainline)*
1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB w/a 454*

* = Daily Driver
the elder rocker

Giving this a shot! Been fiddling with the old slug.
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

:wel: from California! Looks like your making some nice progress, enjoy! :fr:
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Welcome aboard from Gerber, Ca.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Welcome from Michigan! Sweet truck what are your plans with it?
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
the elder rocker

Hey Kyle-
At the moment I plan to get it complete, running and driving well and then get back to a '70 Spitfire that I need to finish body, paint and final fettling on. There's also an Austin Healey that has stalled because I got really tired of tap tap tapping on the body aluminum to get the old wreck back into shape. Welding in new panels and structure took forever. Then the '72 El Camino needs final smoothing and paint. See a pattern here? I can do body work but find it a drudge. The poor old truck sat neglected for a long time and though I'm not a Ford guy I couldn't pass on it. I really dig old shortbeds! Bringing them back to life is really satisfying to me. Not going to start on body work yet!
Thanks for the encouragement!
Regards,
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS
the elder rocker

Hi Folks-
Well, here we go! A snowball in September! AKA mission creep! AKA sinceuwas! I bought a parts truck for the '67. Fairly straight '67 Ranger LWB with almost all the parts to install the missing bits and many upgrade/nicer/straighter/higher spec pieces. 352-auto truck. Couldn't pass it up. I was just gonna get this thing running/driving and stop there while I finished other stuff! Should have known better! I got it bad! Help me!!!! :roll:
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

That's how it always goes :lol:
Kyle
the elder rocker

Ain't that so! One thing- I can fix around and do mechanical stuff but until I get some stuff shot, sanded and polished out I can't get to the bodywork on the Ford! No room indoors! Is this a victory?!? What a twisted outlook us car guys have!!! I do keep looking over at the Hobart--then the F100- then the Hobart.................... I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the elder rocker

The parts truck. Lots of good stuff here!
Has anyone ever seen mirrors like those? They have "fomoco" cast into the inside??!!??
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

That's a very nice parts truck! Looks way better than the one I started with.
Kyle
the elder rocker

Thanks Kyle- Looks good in the pictures, but the rust is deep on this one. No title, 352 is missing carb, dizzy and some odd parts. other than that it's a gold mine for the shortbed. Shocks, manifolds/exhaust, door panel parts that were missing and especially the door actuators and window regulators. On the red SWB it was using the 5WR option for handles- you know , a 5" wire cutting Vise Grip! All 4 were rounded off beyond repair! Just 1 vise grip to operate them all! At least they could have had 4 of 'em and painted 'em nicely! Sheesh! Now the shortbed has all it's door and window handles. Well, I'm missing 1 door handle, but an extra window crank is doing the job for now. Always something. The chrome bumper will dress up the front and the grille and h/l doors are in waaaaay better shape than the ones I have, hood hinges aren't bowlegged, hood letters are there(except the "d", go figure), e brake cables are good, heater core, fancy switches that turn on the dome light when you open the doors, full gauges and even a glove box light! The list goes on and on......
I do have one question though---- is it poor form to add some Ranger trim pieces to bling the Custom Cab up a bit? Everybody has a little pimp in 'em , you know. Just don't know if that's frowned upon by the Ford element.
Still don't know anything about those outside mirrors. They are a strange size and shape but they have "FOMOCO" cast in on the hidden side. Awfully big heads for a car mirror, tall stalks too. If anyone knows about them please let me know.
Thanks again. I dig this forum!
Mike

EDIT- I found out what the mirrors are! They are off of about the same year------drumroll-------Econoline!
the elder rocker

Hi Folks-
Had a good Saturday night and Sunday thrashing on the Fords. I can say that now I am initiated! I know that the new guy must pay his dues but someone could have warned me about the F100's--------
I learned that-
1- It's easier to pull the engine than pull the exhaust manifolds in situ. Got 'em off in one piece, but it was a grunt, sweat, broken bolt, blue wrench extravaganza!
2- The factory started with a grille then built a truck around it! Jeepers! How many bolts does it REALLY take to hold a grille on to a truck! And how many places do you REALLY have to hide them in??!!?? Might have been easier to pull the front clip!

And now the FINE PRINT- The above commentary is a tongue in cheek commentary on the rusty old stuff that we know and love. Any comments are in jest. I know it's always hardest the first time you do anything!
On a lighter note- The old shortbed is starting to look kinda handsome- a day well spent!

Mike Burgess
Albert, KS
An old car isn't yours 'till you bleed on it!