eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Gasoline/oxygen cutting torch

Post by eggman918 »

try one that has been cleaned so much it is no good for acetylene :2cents:
that will be closer...but still a bit small :hmm:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

its not my torch setup.
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

I don't believe that propane gives a better cut then acetylene. If you know what your doing you can get some damn fine cuts with acetylene. If you want better, get a plasma cutter.

FWIW my torch setup for oxy/acet. ran around $550.
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
Heathcliff68f100

Post by Heathcliff68f100 »

550 is the useal price to pay for a good torchset, so, before you try the oxygasoline, skip the troubble and goon and buy oxy acetyline
1989 dodge b250 van, 239 v6 blown a904 tranny RIP
1968 ford f100 lwb l6 240 c6 tranny
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

what all does 550.00 get you? the head lines and gauges? no bottles or a cart even? mayeb vicotr stuff costs tha tmuch i dont know. i have seen used sets and new chinese stuff for 99.00 no bottles cart or gas . just head lines and regulators. i think it has the regulators in the kit. i never really looked.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

I bought a craftsman torch kit years ago ,it was made by Harris which is a good brand.Used gauges will most likely need a rebuild,the soft parts dont like to sit.
bottles are sold/leased separately I like Praxair ,they are easy to deal with if you buy they exchange cyl's so you are in and out in no time :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

Propane isn't as hot so it takes longer to warm up the iron to get the iron burning.
A little research could answer the question as to how hot gasoline is compared to
acetylene, propane and {MAPP}-gas being burning by pure oxygen.

After it's "hot enough" and the oxygen hits it, it's just the oxygen doing all the cutting.

A "track welder" at work would show that to new guys ever' chance he got. :) While
cutting a rail with a torch, he'd turn off the acetylene and then finish it up without
stopping. While the -iron- is burning it holds its the heat etc. Ever try to cut rubber
with a torch? LOL :)

Alvin in AZ
ps- Hello Fred French! How's it hangin'? :)
Last edited by Alvin in AZ on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

Steve

Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

eggman918 wrote:check out this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxy-fuel_w ... nd_cutting
Cool one. :)

Too bad they don't list the temperatures for anything other than acetylene.
My books don't have those numbers either. :/

I thought of hydrogen but didn't mention it and just plain ol' forgot about butane. :)

Propylene was a new one on me! :)
It didn't say but I'd bet a dollar it burns just a little bit hotter than propane for the
same reason acetylene pretty much has the rest beat, carbon to carbon bonds.

If they could have found a substitute for acetylene, you know doggone well they'd
be using it! LOL :) Acetylene is a pain compared to MAPP and propane.

Alvin in AZ
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

Alvin in AZ wrote:
eggman918 wrote:check out this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxy-fuel_w ... nd_cutting
Cool one. :)

Too bad they don't list the temperatures for anything other than acetylene.
My books don't have those numbers either. :/

I thought of hydrogen but didn't mention it and just plain ol' forgot about butane. :)

Propylene was a new one on me! :)
It didn't say but I'd bet a dollar it burns just a little bit hotter than propane for the
same reason acetylene pretty much has the rest beat, carbon to carbon bonds.

If they could have found a substitute for acetylene, you know doggone well they'd
be using it! LOL :) Acetylene is a pain compared to MAPP and propane.

Alvin in AZ
No doubt any fuel that is unstable at pressure would have been replaced by now if possible/economical :2cents:
Maybe LNG someday :hmm:
Steve

Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

eggman918 wrote: Maybe LNG someday
Cool idea. :)
Wouldn't doubt that's already being used by somebody somewhere for cutting up scrap. :)
It's not going to burn as hot as butane or propane tho, if I understand it right, but hot
enough to get the "cut" started tho, I'd bet. :)

-----------------------------

Everyday I went by, those two guys were out cutting up a bunch of wrecked ore cars after a
derailment. It was an odd situation tho, the cars were owned by Kennecott not a railroad.
And they were too big to be hauled out by rail! They were hauled in by truck way back when.
The tunnels leading to the area were too small and too costly to widen. Weird huh? :)

Anyway, those two guys had a big ol' bottle of liquid oxygen and looked to me like ganged
acetylene bottles on a fork lift skid. Took then 6 months working like crazy to cut all that
scrap up! No kidding worked hard, figured they had personally contracted out the job by
buying the scrap where it laid or something. Didn't stop and talk to them, they just looked
to dangged busy to bother, not your typical "employee" look about them. ;)

All that was because the "bean counters" (MBA's) decided the "track walker" and the "helper"
were -too- expensive! :( Wide gauge, train fell through and took out a closed deck bridge
on a long curve. $$$$ Shut the smelter down for a week and got blamed on a broken rail!
So the bean counter's heads didn't roll. Sucks huh? @#$%^ @#$%^& @#$$%^ LOL :)

Alvin in AZ
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

The liquid oxygen bottle is how you can tell that it is a professional "Junkie",those bottles hold a LOT of gas :2cents:
the gang of acetylene bottles is needed for large tip's, the acetylene is dissolved in acetone and you can only draw a limited volume at a time from a given size bottle :wink:
Steve