Why am I so bad at soldering?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Why am I so bad at soldering?

Post by dcbullet »

I have read several guides on the internet on soldering but I still can't seem to get it right. From what I understand, I shouldn't touch the solder to the iron to melt, rather I should heat up the wire and touch the solder to the wire for it to melt.

But even if I leave the iron on the wire for a long time, it never gets hot enough to melt the solder! :cry:

What I end up doing is melting a blob of solder on the wire and then smoothing it out with the iron.

Any tips? What I'm typically soldering together are two wires that have been cut.

Thanks in advance.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Why am I so bad at soldering?

Post by oldschoolrods »

I usually put some flux on the wire to be solderd and heat that up, then touch the solder off the iron there, if i get a blob i just smooth it out like you said. Make sure your wire is clean, solder wont take if its dirty, thats where the flux comes in handy.
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Hey don't feel bad. I always have the same problem. Maybe we need better soldering irons or something. My cure is to use the little blazo torch. Yeah I know it burns up a little of the insulation but just cut the heat shrink a little longer.
I know I don't follow my own advice to solder everything but I mostly use crimp butt splice connectors and I really do not have any trouble with them. Just make sure no moisture can get in and they aren't dangleing.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
ttyR2

Post by ttyR2 »

dcbullet, get some soldering iron tip cleaner from Radio Shack, get the iron good and hot, and then rub it in the cleaner a bit. Then wipe it off with a damp (not wet) sponge to clean the oxide off. After that, while it's hot, touch a little solder to the tip to coat it, just so it's silver (this is called 'tinning' the tip). By doing that, the tip will conduct heat A LOT better than if it was just bare copper. Practice on wires at your workbench. Strip about 1/2" off the end of a couple of stranded copper wires, twist them together, and fire up your iron. Make sure the tip is "tinned" and then touch it to the wires. The more of the tip that touches, the better, meaning that touching the very point won't transfer much heat. Then...after a couple of seconds, try touching the solder to the wires themselves. If everything is right, the solder will melt and flow nicely into the wires. Ideally, you want the wires coated just till you can't quite see the strands in the wire.

It takes practice, but once you're good at it, you can impress yer buds!

One other minor point, people frequently damage electronics and other components by using a soldering iron that's too small. By using one that's small, you heatsoak the wires much longer than if you used a larger iron that heats the wire fast, and lets you get done with soldering quicker. I've soldered rather delicate wires and electronics using an old Weller 100/140 (dual temp) soldering gun I have, tho the Hakko variable temp iron I have is better for the small stuff :D
Jeremy
1971 Ford F250 CS, SC, 2X4, 390, C6
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

I've never had too much luck myself using those electric soldering guns. I've use my mapp gas with the adjustable torch. It just gets a bit hairy when trying to solder near other "stuff". I just use a longer piece of shrink tube like willowbilly. I also use rosin core solder for wires.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Thanks for the tips guys. Gotta try out the flux and practice some more.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

My experience is that they don't make soldering tips as good as they used to. They oxidize too fast and burn off the plating. Try what Jeremy said, wipe the tip with a damp sponge, let it heat back up a second and then tin the tip with a little solder. Take the tinned tip (don't wait too long) and hold it against the wire. Touch a little more solder where the tip contacts the wire and you'll start to see the solder flow from the tip to the wire, that's when you apply more solder to the wire and the wire will wick it all up. Remove the iron and don't move the wire until the solder solidifies.

You think soldering is hard now, wait until they outlaw lead! I'm stocking up on rolls of 60/40.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

I picked up some of the tip cleaner from Radio Shack. The stuff I found is called Tip Tinner and Cleaner and seems to do both well. You get a little tin of it for about $8. I tried it and it worked very well. My thanks to Jeremy.
jor
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

I just got a new toy for this. I broke down and had to try out that new "Cold heat" that you have seen on tv. It is great as long as you are just putting one wire to a circuit board or a wire to a wire. Also make sure that you are either using flux or solder that has a flux core, that helps a bunch. Good luck to ya, it only took me 10 years to get it down, ( did not know about flux :hmm: ).
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

1st how many watts that your tool? if you are trying to solder with a pencil stick good luck there for electronic repairs mostly.I recommend a solder gun.

2nd is your tip clean if not, use some sand paper or a file to clean it up.

3rd try using so smaller diameter solder. I don't use flux my thoughts are thats more for copper pluming work.

4th spay your wires and join turning one end clock wise one & one counter clock wise. Nice and tight . (remember to put the heat shrink on the wire first)

5th heat from under wire when the plastic wire coating just starts to shrink you are ready to solder.

6th There is a nother way to get around soldering. get some heat shrink wrap strip and your wires put on the shrink wrap 2" longer than repair then spray the wires and join with a tight twist. center the wrap over repair and heat with a cigarette lighter. these repairs are strong and you don't have to worry about bad solder repairs. also they stand up to vibration better for the wire doesn't break at the end of the solder joint.
Last edited by Leadfoot on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT ?
Big D's 69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Big D's 69 »

Man I just learned some things that I didn't know. My Dad always laughed at my solder jobs. I'm gonna practice up and show him. He is a master at it. I wouldn't even consider myself a rookie at it.
1969 Ford F-100. 302 4 barrel, C4 auto, 9in 3.50 open rear, headers, power steering, Turq/wht, Under restoration. In other words, in a million pieces!!!

There is no Replacement for Displacment!!!

My Photo Gallery: http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=655
BillBear

Re: Why am I so bad at soldering?

Post by BillBear »

The key phrase "flux is your friend!" The second thing you need to know is the ideal melting temp of your solder. For wires most people select a soldering iron with a real thin tip but those are the worst, and can't hold enough heat. Most solder now is the non-lead type and requires a little more heat than the old lead solder. I now use between 750 and 850 degree heat depending on the size of the wire. Flux should be applied to both the wire and whatever you are soldering it to. Then tin each with solder. The best joint requires the solder the tip, the wire, and the solder should be at the same temperature for a good joint. If you apply the soldering iron first to the wire then apply the solder to the tip and the wire. It also always helps to have a small amount of solder on the tip to help the solder flow to the wire before applying the tip to the wire, this also works when you are removing a soldered wire apply a small amount of solder to the tip this will make the solder flow easier and quicker ,making desoldering go like magic.
Bill
Rockwood Tn
63 F-100 unibody SWB Custom Cab
69 F-100 460 LWB Ranger
2008 Taurus X
2010 Mustang GT Blue baby (grabber Blue)
quantumleap
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by quantumleap »

dont forget a flux brush for application....keep the flux out of the eyes and cuts too btw...flux helps the solder adhere and spread evenly, the brush is also good for "flicking" any excess boogers....
Daniel--67' reg cab black shortbed/fe/4spd/ford 9
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

I use to suck bad at soldering. One night I was in the shop & decided to teach myself. Needless to say, im pretty dang good at it now.

Just keep practicing. It takes awhile to get the hang of it. & dont use anything but rosin core solder. The lead free stuff is garbage. :thup
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--