What are some aggressive, low cost abrasives for blasting?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: What are some aggressive, low cost abrasives for blasting?

Post by robroy »

Good evening ShortStack, thanks for replying!
shortstack wrote:I'm not sure if this would work on thick rust or if it is just for general blasting use, but i have seen guys use walnut shells. Supposed to be very gentle on thin metal... If you had a source around town i would think it would be very inexpensive.
I'll bet you're right! I have seen that material mentioned in various catalogs before, and I'm sure it's excellent where something gentle's required.

For the rough blasting I've always done (heavy suspension and frame parts, mainly), that Black Diamond stuff is still the winner!

Thanks again for replying ShortStack!
Robroy
bluemoose

Post by bluemoose »

Robroy,

If you have a spot for it you can buy a motorcycle shelter from shelterlogic, or rhino. They are less than $200. Set up a fan in one end, a tarp on the floor and blast away. Just sweep up afterward and sift the reclaimed material. If you are doing a lo of blasting, it'll save you some money. Plus you can sell the shelter or use it for storage when you are done. :2cents:

Moose
stephen44
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by stephen44 »

and if you use replacement screen door material - it is just the right size to act as the sieve
i found i can sieve 2 times and then replace. - i keep the 2nd & 3rd sifts - for doing areas that might warp if to much abrasive used and it heats up.(body panels at 45 degrees etc)

makes it very economical

- Stephen
thanks

Stephen
(1967 F100, FE352, 2wd, 3 on the tree, flareside)