air tank volume

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

air tank volume

Post by fordman »

i now have a 1/2 drive impact. and a 22 gal compressor. both are brand new almost. the impact wont break loose alot of bolts that i need broek loose. it is because i dont have enough air or volume of air to get the full use of the impact. i know i really need a larger compressor to do the real job. but money isnt free and niether is a larger compressor. but i do have other tanks around here i could use as add ons. or aux / extra tanks to hold more air.

would using those extra tanks to hold more air do what i am wanting? or would they just hold more air for longer duration. rather than giving me more volume?
Sam I Am

Re: air tank volume

Post by Sam I Am »

Check the rated torque of your impact, it may not be strong enough to do what you want. If it is rated high enough to do it, you may need to turn the adjuster knob to a higher setting.
As long as your compressor builds up enough pressure, your tank doesn't leak, and you have the proper sized air hose diameter, your impact will do it's job for several seconds at least until the tank pressure drops. I've used impacts with a lot smaller tanks than you are using and usually the limitation is the tool itself, not the tank or compressor.
Back when I was doing mechanic work, Mac made the best impact wrench. I haven't shopped for them lately, so I can't recommend what to buy now, just check the torque rating and make sure it is higher than what you need it to do.
Also, it is a good idea to clean the threads with a wire brush before you try to twist off a nut. And using Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster really helps if it is rusty.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

its not the impact. its a brand new snapon mg725. it works great on larger tank compressors. maybe my compressor isnt kicking back on soon enough.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Get some bigger couplings that flow more volume. (Milton 1009 series ?)
The school where I worked had the air regulated down to 100 -120 psi for safety , and with the high flow fittings we had no problem. Also get at least a 3/8" air line 1/4" doesn't cut it. :2cents:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i have my air settigns about 100 i think . i am pretty sure i have the 3/8 line. i have the milton M style couplers.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

100 psi is a little low I like at least 120.
I looked on the Milton site and the M style flow 40 scfm.

The P style I use flow 68 scfm and they have others that flow more yet.

Try a little more psi and see if that helps .
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i'll turn it up this weekend. but i may only be turning up the tank pressure but not the holding capasity. or will thr stock swithc on the compressor turn up line pressure? i guess it might if the kick on pressure is at 120 instead of 100.
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

Careful you dont go over the tanks rated limit fordman. Having a tank blow out really sucks......trust me. Had one blow awhile back and I didnt really care for the experience much!
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i'll have to see what it will take. its only a year old now.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

Fordman what's your compressor rated at CFM wise?
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

idk i havent used the impact since this post. i've only aired up some tires so i havent even looked at it.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

I'd be willing to bet the CFM is a little too low to use the impact at its best, its not so much the tank size, its the volume the pump can put out. Tank size will just give you more time between cycles. According to snap-on's website you need 5 CFM at 90 psi
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrsnicks »

Semi-related.... Has anyone thought about, or actually added a 2nd tank to their air compressor?

I found this on craigslist
tank.jpg
And was wondering how it would work adding it to my existing 60 gallon air compressor/tank setup.

Patrick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i dont know but i would try it if it were me. mine is too small i think.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Adding a second tank IMO is just a waste (unless you've got a 2-stage pump). You're really not gaining anything except more reserve until the pump has to cycle again. But once the pump does start up, it's going to have to run longer to bring the pressure back up to the preset PSI to two tanks instead of just one...which could lead to the pump overheating.

If you want to do any upgrades to a single-stage compressed air system, go with a bigger pump with a longer duty cycle, preferably a 2-stage pump. And/or get a good dryer. IMO that's where you'll see the most noticeable improvement.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!