Looking for a welder

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Looking for a welder

Post by Caseys71 »

Me and my dad plan on going to look at welders sometime this weekend. I already have some features that I would like to have in mind: Ability to weld Flux Cored or Mig, 110 Volt, Fairly reasonably price preferably in the <$350 range I plan on doing a bit of body work with it starting with my floor pans, I want one with both MIG and Flux capabilities because I will do a majority of my welding outdoors. I think we may go check out a pawn shop or two and see if we can find a good deal in there, I was thinking maybe I could find one on sale yesterday since it was Black Friday and all right? WRONG :lol: It was 4 in the morning and we had just waited for Belk to open we rode over to sears and picked up a new grinder, figured I'd check out the welders and they were probably the only thing in the store not on sale :cry: , Anyways do you guys have any recommendations of brands to look for or brands to stay away from, Basically I just don't want a Harbor Freight welder, especially since this is my first time welding and their welders have barely any settings and most people complain that they're to hard to dial in. Thanks for any help you guys
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Looking for a welder

Post by flyboy2610 »

I have a Lincoln MigPak 10 welder. It is 110V, can do flux or MIG. I really like it.
Home Depot has a 110V Lincoln. I don't know that you'll get one for less than $350, though. Probably closer to $500. Miller is a good brand as well. Hobart is OK, they are Miller's lower cost brand. Clarke I've heard both good and bad about.
This is the one I have. It came complete with everything but the bottle of shielding gas:
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lek6923.html

Get yourself an auto darkening helmet. It's kind of bothersome having to lift the shield and lower it all the time. I like being able to position the gun and start to weld.
One of the guys at work got one from Harbor Freight for $45. So far it works OK. It has adjustable shade, sensitivity, and delay from dark to light. But for $45, we'll see how long it lasts! :lol:
Good luck! Remember, you get what you pay for. :thup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

I really like the welder that you showed me, right now I think I'm on the fence between a few welders, but this one really sticks out at me :drool: .http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ord=welder This welder is a Lincoln which I've heard good things about, has the ability to run gas later on, is fairly small, and is a 110 welder just like I want. Great price as well. What do you guys think? I plan on looking at it tommorow and possibly purchasing it, I've been looking at welders for about a month and this seems to be the best thing in the price range I'd like to stay in. :yip:
Casey
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

I have a 220 Lincoln pro mig 180 set up for MIG myself. Its quite a bit bigger than what you are wanting, but I can vouch for Lincoln welders. For a small welder, it will lay a bead with the best of them.

Welders are just like cell phones. 20 years ago cell phones were HUGE. So were welders. The old Miller MIG's at my welding school were the size of a Volkswagon !!
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
1971fordcustom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1971fordcustom »

Good luck welding really really thin steel with flux! Get a 220V Mig.

www.weldingweb.com
http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/f ... y.php?f=14
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb31 ... d%20F-100/

1971 F-100 Explorer Special custom
1971 F-350 Flatbed
1966 Ford Galaxie!
1966 Ford F-250 4x4
1960 Ford F-750 FireTruck
1960 Gmc 6000 FireTruck
1962 IH R-185 Firetruck
1959 Ford Custom 300
1940 Ford Truck
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

A lot of guys can weld really well with flux core. I never cared for it myslef. I have always ran MIG with 90/10 gas, so that is what im use to using.

My welding instructor, a man with 30+ years in the industry, refered to flux core as "the hot glue of welding processes".
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

1971fordcustom wrote:Good luck welding really really thin steel with flux! Get a 220V Mig.
He's getting a 110V MIG. Flux core was never designed to be used on thin sheet metal. Gotta use the proper process.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
stephen44
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by stephen44 »

I use a hobart 140 with 0.023" Esab® All-State Easy Grind Carbon Steel MIG Welding Wire - seems to do good on sheet metal - I weld using 75/25 gas.

hope this helps

Stephen
thanks

Stephen
(1967 F100, FE352, 2wd, 3 on the tree, flareside)
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

papabug71 wrote:A lot of guys can weld really well with flux core. I never cared for it myslef. I have always ran MIG with 90/10 gas, so that is what im use to using.
My welding instructor, a man with 30+ years in the industry, refered to flux core as "the hot glue of welding processes".
I agree 100%!! I tried welding with flux core and it is just nasty in comparison. It is hotter, a ton more splatter, and just dosen't lay down nice at all. Shiled gas is the way to go and lays down very nicely. It is seriously a night and day difference.
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
Montana71-F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Montana71-F100 »

Heliarc is more expensive but you can weld amost anything with it including the frame, thin sheet metal and the aluminum grill. It can also weld stainless steel, copper and bronze. It's great for brazing. Mine can do stick welding too but I never do stick welding. It's an old Miller Dialarc 250. They came out with square wave welders since I bought mine in 1984, which gives more control when welding AC for aluminum. I've never used a wire welder so I can't compare but I really like my heliarc. You may be able to find a used one. If money is tight, I'm sure a wire welder would be great though.
1971fordcustom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1971fordcustom »

flyboy2610 wrote:
1971fordcustom wrote:Good luck welding really really thin steel with flux! Get a 220V Mig.
He's getting a 110V MIG. Flux core was never designed to be used on thin sheet metal. Gotta use the proper process.
Ya I know thats why I said good luck, Floor boards! NOW I do have to say my buddy down the road is a welder on a oilrigs and he took my lil 110 Flux/Gas welder and did some body work on his truck with the flux! :eek: He said just got to know what ya doing and when it starts to trun red stop and let it cool down! I have a HF 220V stick welder and it does great on the big stuff. I really want a TIG Welder!!
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb31 ... d%20F-100/

1971 F-100 Explorer Special custom
1971 F-350 Flatbed
1966 Ford Galaxie!
1966 Ford F-250 4x4
1960 Ford F-750 FireTruck
1960 Gmc 6000 FireTruck
1962 IH R-185 Firetruck
1959 Ford Custom 300
1940 Ford Truck
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

I have a 220 Lincoln pro mig 180 set up for MIG myself. Its quite a bit bigger than what you are wanting, but I can vouch for Lincoln welders. For a small welder, it will lay a bead with the best of them.

Welders are just like cell phones. 20 years ago cell phones were HUGE. So were welders. The old Miller MIG's at my welding school were the size of a Volkswagon !!
I checked them out they do look like good welders but too big for what I want. I have heard good things about lincoln welders from everyone I've talked to so far so I think I'd like to get a Lincoln. As big as a VW? Those things must be capable of some pretty serious welding.
Good luck welding really really thin steel with flux! Get a 220V Mig.

www.weldingweb.com
http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/f ... y.php?f=14
I think I worded my first post kind of wrong I don't intend to do any flux core on sheet metal as I've heard bad things about it however I may try it out as that'll probably be the thing I spend most of my time doing once I get one, just practicing different things. The only reason I want a Flux Core welder capable of MIG is because I will be doing most of my welding outside and I've heard that MIG does you no good outside in the wind, exactly why I'm going to try flux on some scrap to get a feel for everything.
A lot of guys can weld really well with flux core. I never cared for it myslef. I have always ran MIG with 90/10 gas, so that is what im use to using.

I heard many different opinions on flux core, some people love it and others tell me to never even mess with it as it's not worth the time, I have seen some pretty impressive flux welds so I'm not for or against one until I really get a feel for it myself, the only welding my dad does is arc-welding as he's a contractor but the process is a bit different with a wire feed, but I think he's tried mig or flux-core at some point he told me he'd help me out as much as he could which he has been doing with every project I have. I'm not sure which would be better for me since I will be doing most of my welding outside which is exactly why I prefer to try both.

I get what your saying, but on the other hand I've heard good things about flux-core on sheet-metal given the right conditions(sheet metal being prepped properly, windy outside, and just being more comfortable with the flux-core), also I understand that most of the problem is clean up due to all of the splatter and the fact that you can't lay as clean of a bead as easily as you can with MIG, I understand that and truly believe it but I also think that given the proper conditions Flux can be just as good.
I use a hobart 140 with 0.023" Esab® All-State Easy Grind Carbon Steel MIG Welding Wire - seems to do good on sheet metal - I weld using 75/25 gas.

hope this helps

Stephen
Thanks Stephen, I was actually looking at this welder, I really do like it and it seems to be in a fairly comfortable price range, it's also capable of everything I want it to be capable of doing. I just wasn't sure on the Hobart brand I've heard really good things and bad things as well :hmm:
papabug71 wrote:A lot of guys can weld really well with flux core. I never cared for it myslef. I have always ran MIG with 90/10 gas, so that is what im use to using.

I agree 100%!! I tried welding with flux core and it is just nasty in comparison. It is hotter, a ton more splatter, and just dosen't lay down nice at all. Shiled gas is the way to go and lays down very nicely. It is seriously a night and day difference.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind
Heliarc is more expensive but you can weld amost anything with it including the frame, thin sheet metal and the aluminum grill. It can also weld stainless steel, copper and bronze. It's great for brazing. Mine can do stick welding too but I never do stick welding. It's an old Miller Dialarc 250. They came out with square wave welders since I bought mine in 1984, which gives more control when welding AC for aluminum. I've never used a wire welder so I can't compare but I really like my heliarc. You may be able to find a used one. If money is tight, I'm sure a wire welder would be great though.
I appreciate the help but I think it's too much of a welder for me I really like the versatility of it though and would probably consider it but it's too much of a welder and not really in the budget although the prices aren't that bad I found a few on the net and the price isn't bad if you plan on doing that much welding.
flyboy2610 wrote:

Ya I know thats why I said good luck, Floor boards! NOW I do have to say my buddy down the road is a welder on a oilrigs and he took my lil 110 Flux/Gas welder and did some body work on his truck with the flux! :eek: He said just got to know what ya doing and when it starts to trun red stop and let it cool down! I have a HF 220V stick welder and it does great on the big stuff. I really want a TIG Welder!!
Yea I'm suprised at how many people can do so good with flux when everyone usually has something bad to say about it, the only thing I don't like about it is the splatter and the fact that you usually have pinholes in your weld which isn't good if it's structural. I'd like to get a TIG welder sometime too just so I can say I've learned to do it, I only know a few people that can do it and most of them have been doing it all of their lives, but it really is a lot more involved than MIG and it takes some serious time to master.

Thanks for the help you guys I looked at the welder in Sears today, I thought about it and my dad talked me into waiting on it a little while to see if I see another one I want or maybe I'll find a nice deal on Craigslist
Casey
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

Double Post
Casey
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Check craigslist.. I picked up a barely used lincoln SP135+ for $300 last winter
truckguy

Post by truckguy »

I got this miller 200 at a auction about 2 weeks for $75. With the tank and some wire and some small parts I have $275 into it. Thats with the cost of buying the welder to.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... 0_1258.jpg

Kyle
Image ImageImage
1986 F-150 300
1972 f-250 360 PS,PB
1970 F-350 360 PB
1969 f-250 390 CS,ranger, PS,PDB,AC
1968 F-350 360 PB
1968 f-250 360 PB
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/truckguy_02/