Looking for a welder

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Montana71-F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Looking for a welder

Post by Montana71-F100 »

Caseys71 wrote:I'd like to get a TIG welder sometime too just so I can say I've learned to do it, I only know a few people that can do it and most of them have been doing it all of their lives, but it really is a lot more involved than MIG and it takes some serious time to master.
I just want to dispel the myth that TIG welding is difficult. It's exactly like oxy-acetylene welding only making a puddle is way faster. I've been using TIG since 1984 and it's been easy for me from the start. I've done stick welding but to me TIG is way easier. With TIG you can use as much or as little rod as you want at any time, you can change the heat in an instant by pressing harder or softer with the pedal and you can see the results instantly without waiting to chip flux off. I've never tried MIG but from the little I know about it, it would be the way to go for long welds on a constant thickness of metal. I'm always welding on things that are different thicknesses and love the control of TIG. I can weld sheet metal to an I beam if I want.

Sometimes welding supply stores let you try out equipment. It may be worth trying out a TIG welder.

I don't mean to tell you what to do but TIG welding has a reputation of being difficult and I hate to see anybody not consider it because it's perceived as difficult when it isn't.
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

truckguy wrote:I got this miller 200 at a auction about 2 weeks for $75. With the tank and some wire and some small parts I have $275 into it. Thats with the cost of buying the welder to.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... 0_1258.jpg

Kyle
That was a great deal, I really should check at some local auctions, how are you liking it?
Montana71-F100 wrote:
Caseys71 wrote:I'd like to get a TIG welder sometime too just so I can say I've learned to do it, I only know a few people that can do it and most of them have been doing it all of their lives, but it really is a lot more involved than MIG and it takes some serious time to master.
I just want to dispel the myth that TIG welding is difficult. It's exactly like oxy-acetylene welding only making a puddle is way faster. I've been using TIG since 1984 and it's been easy for me from the start. I've done stick welding but to me TIG is way easier. With TIG you can use as much or as little rod as you want at any time, you can change the heat in an instant by pressing harder or softer with the pedal and you can see the results instantly without waiting to chip flux off. I've never tried MIG but from the little I know about it, it would be the way to go for long welds on a constant thickness of metal. I'm always welding on things that are different thicknesses and love the control of TIG. I can weld sheet metal to an I beam if I want.

Sometimes welding supply stores let you try out equipment. It may be worth trying out a TIG welder.

I don't mean to tell you what to do but TIG welding has a reputation of being difficult and I hate to see anybody not consider it because it's perceived as difficult when it isn't.
Thanks for the information, I really wasn't aware of how easy it was, I have got to do a little bit of stick welding with my dad, it's not too bad. I just never considered TIG because most people say it's difficult just as you've stated, and the equipment is generally more expensive than MIG. I may look into going to the welding supply store and try out a welder or two. That or try out one of my Dad's friends' welders, He has been a good friend of the family for years, and I've always admired his fab-work, He has about every piece of welding equipment I've ever even heard of.
Cartman wrote:Check craigslist.. I picked up a barely used lincoln SP135+ for $300 last winter
That sounds like a pretty good deal you got there as well. I've been checking craigslist every few days to see if any good deals popped up I've came across a few just haven't really made a solid decision yet.
Thanks again you guys for the information and the reccomendations.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

I do a little tig welding in the shop on different metals and tig is a clean, easy to control weld.when i wanted to learn how to tig weld i was working with welders and asked if i could tig with there help and it didnt take long to get the hang of it.If your good with your hands it would be easy for you to learn how to tig if your dads friend would watch and teach you how to weld.As in everything the more you do it the better you will be at it.This is just my opinion, welders make good money.Might be something that you get good at then you would have a skill that you can put some extra money in your pocket for fixing up your truck.
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

:yt: sounds about right, I'm really surprised at how easy some people say it is to get started, I'm thinking maybe the hardest part is getting good at it. I really do want to try it sometime not sure when i will get to but it would definitely be a good learning experience for me. Your also right at welders making good money, especially those in the auto-body. Sometimes people would just rather pay someone that knows what they are doing and get it done, while guys like me wanna learn how to do it themselves, and have money to go somewhere else on my project just as you stated, that and I'll be able to say "Hey I welded that up back in the 9th grade and it's still holding!"
Casey
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

If you decide to go the used route with auctions or craigslist, be careful of the power. Some machines are 3 phase only and I have seen sellers say they are 230 volt, but its 230 3 phase, not single phase which what's available in most residential places. Good luck with your search!
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

Thanks for the advice, for the most part I've been looking at 110 welders however I have checked out a few 230 welders, and thanks for the pointer.
Casey
truckguy

Post by truckguy »

Caseys71 wrote:That was a great deal, I really should check at some local auctions, how are you liking it?
I love it. It is a sweet welder.
Kyle
Image ImageImage
1986 F-150 300
1972 f-250 360 PS,PB
1970 F-350 360 PB
1969 f-250 390 CS,ranger, PS,PDB,AC
1968 F-350 360 PB
1968 f-250 360 PB
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/truckguy_02/
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

truckguy wrote:
Caseys71 wrote:That was a great deal, I really should check at some local auctions, how are you liking it?
I love it. It is a sweet welder.
Kyle
That's good to know, I wish I could find one of those bad boys in my price range. But we've been checking everywhere and I still haven't made a decision yet, but before I do I'll be sure to let you guys see some of my choices to help me figure this out :thup: .
Casey
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/tls/1488984987.html What do you guys think about this welder? $200 with the tank is a great price might even be able to talk him down a bit more, and it's a Mac welder so consumables and parts shouldn't be an issue. I plan on giving him a call, sometime this week, Me and my dad might even ride by there and get it this weekend, Only downfall is that it's about 2 hrs. away :doh:,But its a nice scenic drive 8), Any suggestions would be helpful, you guys have been great at giving me suggestions so far and I thank you for that :thup:, and don't think that your suggestions haven't been put into thought either as I've checked out each and every welder you guys have recommended, I'm just having trouble choosing the perfect welder. Thanks, again guys :fr: .
Casey
stephen44
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by stephen44 »

I'd find out about the tank and check you can get it refilled where you are - when I found 'one' of these - my local welder supplier would not refill the tank - it was too old or wrong safety stamp or something

so be sure - else it is not such a bargain.

Stephen
thanks

Stephen
(1967 F100, FE352, 2wd, 3 on the tree, flareside)
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

Thanks for the tip, I would have never thought of that.
Casey
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

I believe that Mac machine is actually a miller. (If I get time at work tomorrow I will check to see if we have any info on it) If you can get the tank filled, and the machine welds ok, go for it.
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

oldschoolrods wrote:I believe that Mac machine is actually a miller. (If I get time at work tomorrow I will check to see if we have any info on it) If you can get the tank filled, and the machine welds ok, go for it.
So Miller produced these for the Mac to put their name on it? That's interesting. Any info you have on it would be great I've been reading a bit here and there on them. I plan on giving him a call tomorrow, so I can get some more info but it does look like a pretty good deal.
Thanks for the help guys and I'll be sure to keep you updated.
Casey
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

:woohoo:, Talked to him today & he runs a truck shop, he asked me what I'd be using it for and he seemed to like the idea of me restoring an old bump. He told me the tank was just about full, that it had an almost full spool of .023 already spooled up. Also the tank he said was less than a year old so refilling it shouldn't be a problem at the National Welders in town. We plan on driving out their Saturday afternoon and hopefully sealing the deal.... :D
Casey
truckguy

Post by truckguy »

Cool I hope you get it. For a tank like that around here new and filled would cost $225 :eek:. Looks like a deal. :thup:
Kyle
Image ImageImage
1986 F-150 300
1972 f-250 360 PS,PB
1970 F-350 360 PB
1969 f-250 390 CS,ranger, PS,PDB,AC
1968 F-350 360 PB
1968 f-250 360 PB
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/truckguy_02/