parts washer pricing

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

parts washer pricing

Post by fordman »

im going to a auction in the morning. there is a parts washer there i am goignt o try and buy. its the kind that is a large tank on top of a 30 gallon barrell. whats it worth? 50 or more i would guess. how high would be a relistic price?
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: parts washer pricing

Post by TNIceWolf »

I paid a hundred bucks for a 20 gallon washer with pump ....trays....and stand about nine years ago new. Fair warning ....it isnt the washer thats expensive its the solvent. I had to buy 15 gallons from TSC about six months ago at a cost of 8 dollars a gallon.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

:yt: Most places I've seen them they run in the $100 range, like TNiceWolf said the solvents are expensive. The Purple Power at Advance is around $5-6 a gallon I've heard good things about it but don't have a parts washer so I couldn't really tell you how good it works.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

well i showed up and i didnt even really get a chance to bid. althought it was a bigger and better oen than what i thought i saw from the road. it was a snap on. it had maybe a 40-50 gallon barrel as the tank for it. the owner was there and said it wokred and he had bought it new. it sold for 130.00 i think my uncle bought it. thats the reason i didnt bid. i didnt want to bid against my uncle. that is always the luck down there at that auction. i always seem to be bidding against him even by accident.
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

Look at the bright side, you could always go down to your uncles place and test drive the parts washer for him :D . That sounds like someone got a pretty good deal though, and I know what you mean about that bad luck we usually have the same luck at any kind of auction for that matter.
Casey
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

well his new tank is way bigger than my dads tank. and i doubt it would be easier to do it at his shop than my dads though.
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

I see what your saying. I wish we had a parts washer ,for the most part I just let my parts soak on solvents and everything else is good old fashioned elbow grease :D . You may be able to slip some small parts in there and try it out next time your at your uncles though :wink: , just a thought to consider.
Casey
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

for hugh greasy messes i take the parts tothe car wash. that gets most of it off. then i bringit home and scrap off more. then. i take a parts washer pan and gas the parts. then i use a brass wire brush and buff it of clean off any hard baked on or painted over dirt. you wouldnt beleive how many people paint over grease to get a paint job overhaul to thier engine.
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

fordman wrote: for hugh greasy messes i take the parts tothe car wash. that gets most of it off.
then i bringit home and scrap off more. then. i take a parts washer pan and gas the parts.
then i use a brass wire brush and buff it of clean off any hard baked on or painted over dirt.
Cool! :)

That was exactly what I was wondering. :)

Cleaning the two transmissions lately turned out to be a real time consuming chore. :/
Since they are aluminum didn't want to use lye on them, ended up using used brake fluid.
Paint it on one day and most of the stuff washes off the next with a garden hose.

But better would be to go to the car wash then bring it home and after it dries off good,
go at it with the used brake fluid? :)

Alvin in AZ