Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Metal Storage rack

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

OK,

I have too much crap and too little organization. I have pieces of steel and sheets of wood and steel put wherever it fits at the moment, and I need to get organized.

I am running out of wall space and still need to be able to store sheet goods so I have to keep that in mind, as well as storage for wheeled crap like the axle trolley (other thread) and welding cart, old compressor (emergency spare).

Attached is what I came up with.

Thoughs/ideas?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
Dirty Offio

Re: Metal Storage rack

Post by Dirty Offio »

Looks like it oughta do the trick. might have to build me one, lord knows I have the stuff to fill it!!

lol

Offio
When in doubt, hit the gas. It may not be the right answer, but at least it ends the suspense!!
The only substitute for Cubic Inches, is Cubic Money!
1967 F-100 swb "Varmit"
1968 F-250 4dr lwb "Beast"
1976 F-350 drw 460
1977 Club Wagon
1986 F-250 lwb
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening Eric!

That looks like yet another super creative, quality design you've come up with!

I can see how effective it would be. I really like the idea of the sloped shelves/bins! With all the little round things that like to roll off shelves, I'm surprised that I haven't seen that type of design more often.

And gosh, you're really good at using Visio!

As said by Offio, I'll bet many other guys would love to have something like that in their garage.

Have you ever considered getting set up to mass-produce any of your designs?

Robroy
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

robroy wrote:
Have you ever considered getting set up to mass-produce any of your designs?

Robroy
Robroy,

Thanks again for the compliments. I hereby license you to produce my ideas, and we can work out how many millions you can pay me later... ;)

I HAVE done that before, licensed someone to sell and build my ideas, and I have kept the whole thing in house and sold parts, and sometimes it just isn't worth it - especially with small run items. On something like this, most of the people that need one can build one out of the stuff they have, so the market is pretty small. Then when you start to look at any potential insurance and liability isues.... yowza!

That is why I post up the designs. I figure if someone uses my idea, then we both win. I can't get sued, and they get something that works for them.

BTW, I will be building this in the coming weeks (time, money and life getting in the way) so I am sure I will change the design, and I will update the drawings to incorporate the changes. I figure an evening to cut and weld the prototype, then another evening to build the rest. Also, for those without a welder, most of this can be bolted together.

Of course, now that you are gonna pay me millions, I gotta stop posting ... ;)

Have a great day!

Regards,

Eric
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

Here you go... all done.

I put a sheet of masonite on the back wall to protect the sheetrock from being gouged by the sheet goods.

I also put a scrap piece of 1/2" plywood on the wall to prevent me from pushing a piece of iron thru the sheetrock at the end of the wall.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Another project soon... Sandblaster Cabinet (Already built, just not documented)

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 71PA_Highboy on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

:clap:, You've done an excellent job! Looks like you really put a lot of time into designing your projects, any chance your an architect or an engineer? Because your plans make it seem that way.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

even worse... I am a detail oriented computer systems engineer that is trying to teach my 16 yo son how to design and build stuff ... so he can be an architect/engineer that builds stuff we can actually work on...

Thanks for the compliment!
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

8), That's pretty neat! I was thinking about getting into the architecture/engineering field as well, After taking drafting this year it's like something clicked and I realized that I really enjoyed that kind of work 8).
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's