Indy Mustang

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Indy Mustang

Post by FORDification »

Just thought I'd revive a really old thread from over at the old forums where we were discussing Indy Mustang. They're a company who sells "rebuilt" Ford engines, but apparently they do a really crappy job and have really PO'd a LOT of people with their shoddy work. (Read THIS THREAD at Corral Forums, a Mustang messageboard. Be prepared to spend a few minutes reading...there are 6 pages worth of posts in that thread.)

Anyway, I haven't see them around on E-bay for a long time, but just noticed tonight they're back to selling engines there again. Here's a link to an auction of their's for a 390:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33615

They're also selling engines under the E-bay username "ke-racer".

For anyone here who's thinking about purchasing a rebuilt engine and are looking around online for a good deal, if you run across this company, it sounds to me like you'd be better off looking elsewhere. I just figured I'd revive this subject as an advance warning for all the new and future members here....just doing my part to watch out for you guys.

If you check them out with the Better Business Bureau, here's what they say:
Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unanswered complaints.
Complaints filed with the Bureau show a pattern of of the following: delay in repairs being made, delay receiving ordered parts and no return phone calls from the company.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
junkyardjeff

re: Indy Mustang

Post by junkyardjeff »

The 351-w they built for me seems to be good,its only been driven a couple of miles but its got good oil pressure and did not get hot while breaking in. He took forever in getting it done and when I seen the shop I wondered if I made a big mistake but so far so good and I probably wont go back for another motor due to the time they take and cleanliness of the shop. This motor is in my 55 sunliner and I hope to have it on the road sometimes in late summer and I will find out how good it is but its out of warrenty so if it blows I will have to start over or I will put a 390 in it.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hmmmm.....well, keep us informed. From what I understand their track record pretty much sucks, so don't be surprised. It might be a good idea to even start planning ahead for the replacement engine now.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
junkyardjeff

Post by junkyardjeff »

I clicked on the link to the motor they had on ebay and it said their motors were built by people who knows ford motors,when I was in conversations about how I wanted my motor built jim said his motor builder at the time would rather build chevy motors and that had me a little concerned but I was in too far to turn back. That shop makes sanford and son look real good as it was a BIG mess,I am going to drive my 55 awhile before painting so if the motor blows I wont scratch it up. He took my money in january and I got my motor in late june or early july but since I did was not ready for the motor I was not overly concerned as it was still a couple of months before it went in and reading all the posts of the mustang group I am suprised he still is in buisness and the fire marshall has not shut it down. Jeff
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well, it seems that 'indymustang' is no longer a registered user, but they're now listing under a new Ebay username: montgomery5781

Just wanted to alert forum members again who were considering buying an engine online....beware of these folks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33615
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Thanks for the heads up, Keith! :thup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
67F250CS
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67F250CS »

Geez. For 3800 anyone could build a killer motor and have it installed.
1967 F250 Camper Special
10MPG with key off, in neutral and going downhill!
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Is there anyone in the group that would be willing to build engines and ship them to other members in the same manner as those being sold online? It's just an idea that would give members another source for an engine if they didn't want to do it themselves or have someone local they wanted to use. I have no idea what the final cost would be for this or if anyone is setup to provide this service. :D Just a thought.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
junkyardjeff

Post by junkyardjeff »

Indy mustang is no longer in business,I checked his website the other day and nothing came up and I did a little searching and found out that someone ended up with his stuff and called it indy mustang unlimited but again nothing. I was bored so thats how I found out. Jeff
junkyardjeff

Post by junkyardjeff »

I want to report my indy mustang motor is doing well,I have put on about 75 miles on it so far and it held togather and no strange noises so time will tell. Jeff
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

Not entirely off topic:
It was reading things like that, and talking to you all and others that finally led me to check out the best local shop (not always an option) and let them have a crack. Mine has taken longer than I thought, however I can stop by anytime, talk to the owner, actually walk into the shop and see my motor, make running changes (which is why it takes longer) AND...he has not required any up front funds. I walk in this Tuesday to hand over the plastic if I'm satisfied. Something about having to face your customers gives me a bit more peace of mind. My :2cents:

Tom
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
junkyardjeff

Post by junkyardjeff »

My motor is still going and have put about 3000 miles on it,I still need to put in a correct 351 cam but otherwise its ran good.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: Indy Mustang

Post by flyboy2610 »

junkyardjeff wrote:My motor is still going and have put about 3000 miles on it,I still need to put in a correct 351 cam but otherwise its ran good.
And some still refuse to believe in miracles! :lol:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
junkyardjeff

Re: Indy Mustang

Post by junkyardjeff »

The motor is still going but I am finally ready to put a correct cam in it and a better set of heads,watch after I do this and it will blow up and then if it does I will put another Y block or a FE in it.
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Indy Mustang

Post by ezernut9mm »

junkyardjeff wrote:The motor is still going but I am finally ready to put a correct cam in it and a better set of heads,watch after I do this and it will blow up and then if it does I will put another Y block or a FE in it.
i'm glad you are updating this thread. too often these things get forgotten and we never get to hear the outcome. so how many miles on it so far?
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage