ARP black moly bolt kit - Thumbs Down

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

mnkeeking

ARP black moly bolt kit - Thumbs Down

Post by mnkeeking »

I bought an ARP black moly bolt kit from JEGS for my 460 rebuild. I can't recommend this bolt kit (the general one, pan bolts, intake bolts, water pump bolts, etc) as the bolts rust very quickly, some of the bolts were the wrong size, and the kit was $150. When I called ARP to ask if they would make good, they said they would. I was advised to finish my build and make a note of wrong bolts, their thread counts and all other bolt information, and send the unusable bolts back and THEN they'd send me what I needed. Now this bolt kit was made, allegedly, specifically for a Ford 460, but a 460 oil pan has 19 bolts - they sold me 18 in the kit. When I buy a pre-made kit specifically for my engine I do not want to screw around figuring out thread counts, paying MORE money to return the ones that were bogus and hopefully get what I need in return. I have since determined that I would have spent HALF what I did on their bolt kit had I gone down to the hardware store and picked out exactly what I needed.

Hope this helps someone,
Joe
'68 F100 Flareside 460/C6
KnockKnock

Re: ARP black moly bolt kit - Thumbs Down

Post by KnockKnock »

That sucks. I've always heard good things about ARP, but I guess you can't put it past them using you for some free R&D. :nono:
A GM-convert that doesn't believe in bail-outs.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I bought these guys stainless kit for my 351w build. Haven't actually used it yet so I don't know if it's all there or not. But stainless for $50 it's worth it. Here's their big block kit for $43.95. http://alloyboltz.com/catalog/product_i ... hobvh9ocm2
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
mnkeeking

Post by mnkeeking »

Just gotsta rub it in, eh, Sarge? I apparently can't even do math, I'm such a grunt. As Sarge points out, coulda' saved 2/3 if I'd done more homework. The kit you linked looks good, Sarge, and when I rebuild the 460 I just pulled I'll try those out.

Take care,
Joe
'68 F100 Flareside 460/C6
kato_pup_dog1977

Post by kato_pup_dog1977 »

I buy the stainless bolts I want, gently grind the digits off the top, lap them on fine wet/dry sand paper and buff to a mirror shine. A little silicone on the threads during installation prevents galling. Leaves a very simple and pretty detail everyone notices.
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Sargentrs, thank you for that link. :thup:

Seems like a reasonable price.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:fr: :D
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

I bought the same kit only for a 390. Well, I didn't intentionally buy the same kit I bought one for a 390 and they sent me their generic kit for all Ford big blocks with a note saying that they realize that there may be differences and compromises have to be made for manufacturing purposes. They very nicely give a phone number to call so you can get the right stuff. Maybe I'm too picky, but honestly, for the price they charge I shouldn't have to call anyone to get what I THOUGHT I'd bought. I seriously doubt they'll be getting my money again.