The Time Machine

Show us your rides or projects!

Moderator: FORDification

bumpside

Re: The Time Machine

Post by bumpside »

Verry cool 8) :thup: :thup:
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Finally, an update to report. I had a little garage party with my friends yesterday in order to tear down my Cleveland. We knocked it out in short order and got the block, crank, rods, and heads all pressure washed since those are the only parts I'll be reusing. Everything looked pretty good inside other than a little rust from sitting up for sooooo long. Now I just have to take it all to the machine shop and order all my parts. To be continued........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
"Where there's a wheel, there's a way!"
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Sold: '77 F100, '72 Gran Torino, '76 El Camino with 454 & TH400
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

man, i have to say that you have a good looking truck. my daughter and i love the color. it is the origianal color of my 67' that i'm working on. i will be keeping up on your project. it is almost identical to what i want to do with our truck. good work. :thup:
1971 Sport Custom SWB: 360/C6 3.00
1965 Ford Falcon 4Dr: Inline 170 3sp
carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Can we see a side shot or front/side shot with the new wheels and tires?
67 F100 sc/sb 07 Crown Vic IFS, 94 Lincoln Mark 8 IRS, isuzu 3.9L diesel w/ HY35 & HX 52 compound turbos and 370cc custom injection pump,T56 6spd trans, 18" 07 dodge magnumm wheels, old air products A/C (for a 66 mustang LOL). 32 mpg's so far, around town
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Thanks hotrod ford! Yes, the color really grows on you. It'll still be this color when I repaint it, only it'll be shiny! :D

carcrafter22- I'd love nothing more than to have pics of the new wheels installed, but I haven't picked up the front ones from my friends machine shop yet. Then they still have to be painted, mounted, and installed. Oh, and I still have my driver's fender and hood off the truck. I'm sooooo looking forward to winter when I should have much more time on my hands to make some progress on the truck. Between work, farm work, yard work, a breakdown on the daily driver last week, and the a/c going out on the daily driver this week, I'm amazed I was able to find time to get my friends together so we could all tear that engine down. Don't worry though, my first action after installing the new wheels and taking pics will be to post them immediately! I know, it's torture for me too! :cry:
Jason
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

carcrafter22

Post by carcrafter22 »

Well take your time it will all come together soon enough I'm sure, I like it so far.
67 F100 sc/sb 07 Crown Vic IFS, 94 Lincoln Mark 8 IRS, isuzu 3.9L diesel w/ HY35 & HX 52 compound turbos and 370cc custom injection pump,T56 6spd trans, 18" 07 dodge magnumm wheels, old air products A/C (for a 66 mustang LOL). 32 mpg's so far, around town
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Finally, another update to report! The Cleveland block made it back from the machine shop several weeks ago, followed by the crank, rods, flywheel, and damper last week. The block had to go .030" over to clear up ring ridge and taper issues. I had hoped it would only need .010", but what can you do? The crank was able to go .010/.010", so that was a nice surprise. I had the rods reconditioned, as well as a full balance job on the entire rotating assembly. The damper is a Fluidampr, and the flywheel is a ZOOM 13-pound aluminum unit versus a steel 40-pound unit. I figured to go with the aluminum version since it was only $30 more than a performance steel one. Also, the truck is fairly light and I don't plan on towing anything with it. As my machinist said, "That mother's gonna revv!" With that info, it's good to know that I sprung for the ARP rod & main bolts! I got around to assembling the short block last Saturday. Next up is to stab and degree the Performer RPM cam and button up the front and bottom end. I need to drop the heads off at the machine shop and place the second half of my parts order from Summit for all the top end goodies. I think I broke my own record for "most money spent on a single order from Summit" when I ordered all those parts for the bottom end! Sometimes breaking records is NOT a good thing!!! :$$: At least the second order will be a little smaller than the first one was. To be continued........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Man its lookin' AWSOME. The wheels look nasty good! Is you Cleveland a 2bbl or a 4bbl. ??
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Thanks! :thup:

It's originally a 2V, but will now be running a Performer RPM Air Gap manifold with a spread-bore to square bore adapter and a JET Stage 2 Quadrajet on top. I think it'll be a nice combo. I always wondered about a Quadrajet on a Ford..... I guess we'll see how she runs. I LOVE my Quadrajet on my 454! :D
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Awsome. I have a 2bbl Cleveland in the shop, waiting on me to rebuild it & find a suitable vehicle. They are great motors from what i gather.

The quadrajet is a love hate carb. Either you love them or you hate them. I had one on an old 66 chebby 1/2 ton years back & it liked to hang up at WOT, no matter how many return springs I put on it !!
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Yeah, Quadrajets get a bad rap usually due to bad tuning, but they have great potential and I've had nothing but good luck with them. :thup:

The only bummer about the Cleveland is that it's getting kind of "oddball" as time goes on. Therefore, parts are a little more expensive, meaning that you could probably build a comparable big block for about the same money. It seems like everyone is dropping in a crate 347 or a crate Windsor, etc, but a Cleveland is just something a little different. I feel like my truck kind of stands out with its color, so it might as well stand out with its engine and tranny too. 8)
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

ivansgreat

Post by ivansgreat »

69timemachine, I've got my 302 down right now and was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling what the machine shop charged you for the work they did. I'll understand if you don't want to comment. thanks
Ivan

1968 F100 2wd
ivansgreat

Post by ivansgreat »

Wow, thanks so much for the in depth response. I'm not very mechanically inclined and your info is much appreciated.
Ivan

1968 F100 2wd
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Well, I degreed the cam and then managed to finish assembling the rest of the short block over the weekend. I painted the components that were going to be tough to get good coverage on before I assembled them. Once I get the heads back from the machine shop, then the entire engine (minus the intake and valve covers) will get a coating of blue paint. The finished product should look quite stunning! :D

I also spent about one hour per head cleaning up the entry of the intake port and the exit of the exhaust port for better flow. No harm in a little gasket-matching...that's free horsepower! The new Edelbrock intake gaskets were about 1/8" larger than the ports all the way around the port. So after confirming that they were 2V gaskets, it was time to bust out the die grinder. Once I get the new intake, I can check to make sure that its ports match as well, then this thing ought to flow some air and fuel! :hd:
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

austin
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by austin »

wow what a great project i love da wheels and that 351 throws it onto the great list of bumpsides i love