1969 F100 Ranger Longbed

Show us your rides or projects!

Moderator: FORDification

donutcat

1969 F100 Ranger Longbed

Post by donutcat »

Figured I'd been floating around long enough looking at other people's work to post some of my own. First up is my truck as I received it just over a year ago on Christmas 2014.
It actually didn't have the toolbox at first, but seeing as I'd be driving it to class and work, it was deemed pretty much necessary for bags and my tools. We also decided almost immediately that the wimpy stock mirrors needed to go for something I could see out of, like the mirrors on my granddad's 82ish Bronco. We also subbed out the tiny 27" tires for some 32's that would make all my highway traveling to and from school a little easier on the engine. You can see the mirrors and "new" wheels in the next pic where I'm in the middle of doing the front brakes as well as removing exhaust manifolds for exhaust upgrade during this past summer.
I actually got most of the manifold bolts out, only breaking the rear two on the driver's side in the process. Thank Harbor Freight for a cheap 90degree air drill.
Only took several hours of laying underneath and pushing up at a weird angle while tons of metal shavings fell in my hair and beard.
Got a good picture here of before new front wheels, as well as my granddad's red 1969 Ranger LWB and my little brother's 1974 F100 SWB.

Best pic of the interior I've currently got is this one with my ammo can cupholder/sub enclosure to go with the speakers I put in the back corners of the cab

My most recent picture that shows how it currently looks on the outside

Got a few bonus pictures of the engine bay including the top of the heads when we were doing the intake seals and my new Mallory distributor

Current important specs:
360FE
Ford 3speed toploader
3.25:1 rear end with 28 spline axles, possibly being replaced with 3:1 31 spline rear end from the 1972 project truck over next summer
Power steering, no power brakes, no AC
True dual Purple Hornies exhaust with Flowtech headers, exits just at the back end of the cab, sounds amazing

What I've done so far since I got it:
Changed mirrors
Added toolbox
Added tach
Replaced all belts and rubber hoses
Replaced factory radio with my trusty Sony, didn't even have to cut any metal
Bigger tires for better highway performance with the stock toploader 3speed
Replaced oil pressure sending unit since it was spraying oil
Column shift to floor shift since most of the column's insides were going to hell
Replaced intake seals since it was leaking oil pretty badly
LED taillight replacement, is super visible at day and night
New brakes/master cylinder since they were going/gone
New blinker switch
LMC shoulder belt kit + added a middle lap belt to help transport friends
Switched original carb with rebuilt carb to correct choke issues, made different issues
Replaced cracked exhaust manifolds and ***** exhaust pipe for Flowtech 1.75" into 3" headers + 3"x32" Purple Hornies true dual
Stock distributor and coil replaced with Mallory Unilite + MSD Blaster HVC coil
2nd fuse block with 12v line ran into the cab for power for 12v ports, tach, and my radio
Put speakers in lexan mounts behind the seat in the cab corners since the original dash speaker burnt out on my first trip back to school
Will be pulling the current carb tomorrow for a rebuild
Will be replacing stock air cleaner with open element cleaner, off of the 351w crate in my granddad's Bronco

Future plans:
EFI eventually, possibly after finding a good 4bbl intake
On the lookout for a vacuum brake booster
Performance cam
Forced induction always seems like a fun idea
Find some more gears since I run out so quickly

But yeah, I love my truck. It's fun to drive, it's fun to work on, it does burnouts when I want it to, and it even got 13.5mpg this last trip home from school, even with the carb spitting gas out the throttle shaft the entire time.