What did you do to YOUR bump today?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: What did you do to YOUR bump today?

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Finished the last item on my PS installation........crossed my fingers, rubbed a rabbits foot, said a little prayer and fired it up........AND I NOW HAVE POWER STEERING AND EVERYTHING WORKED ON THE FIRST TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!...................... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

And now Im off to buy a lottery ticket and when I get back Im gonna celebrate with a sweet tea and peach moonshine victory drink........I never have anything work right on the first try........ EVER........... :D

Thanks to all of you for the help and answering all my dumb questions......... :fr: :fr: :fr: :fr: :fr:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Broke out the buffer and compound and got after it.........and realized I forgot how much work it is buffing out 50 year old paint............ :eek: but was very happy to find out that when I pulled the reflectors off the hood and did it that the paint that was hidden under them and the exposed paint matched perfectly which will make my life much easier matching the paint when I replace the damaged drivers door....... :D

Off to buy another lottery ticket........ 8)

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
WarEagle

Post by WarEagle »

Fixed my short in the headlight switch. All is good, ready to night cruise!
1972 F100 300 cid straight 6
2009 F150 4.6L Super Crew
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

Well, Saturday and today, finished the new brake lines, master cylinder and 76 prop valve install. Got more of the frame, underside of the cab and inside the front cab mounts painted. Got new rubber cab mount insulators installed, one replacement inner fender painted, along with the replacement rad core support. Removed the in-cab tank along with the old extra tank. Got a new extra tank, have all the mounts painted and new rubber glued in the tank and installed new filler hose and vent line.
Now with the mounts replaced, brake lines ran, extra gas tank figured out. I can put the new steering gear in and put the rebuilt front suspension back in.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

Slowly getting the suspension back on. New KYB shocks and the exlporer springs for a 2" drop via this thread
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... it=springs

left side, also put new cab mount rubber on.

Right side
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Not exactly what I did to my bump, but it's close enough.
Went to the wrecking yard yesterday to pick up an alternator for my DD, and saw an F250 Camper Special near the gate. Took a peek even though it looked rusted out, picked clean and trashed, and lo and behold, saw the small block mounts I've been looking for. I'd run out of time to pull them (and the only two cherry pickers had engines dangling from them) so I made arrangements to come back. When they opened this morning, my son and I were waiting only to find the same two engines still swinging in the breeze. A guy laid claim to one of them (and I gave him s**t for thinking he had exclusive use of the thing for two days), but I took the other one around the corner and used a knife to liberate the V6 Vortec hanging on a couple of seat belts (thump).
As we were getting ready to lift the small block to remove the motor mounts, I started to notice new gaskets, fairly fresh paint, and new brass freeze plugs. I decided to pop a head, and the standard pistons were sitting in cylinders with no lip after I cleaned the carbon off, and the cross hatch was still visible. I googled the casting numbers on the block, and they came back as an '89 351W, likely a cop car engine from what I'm reading. I'm not sure what the story is other than an extremely low mileage, well maintained engine, but at $194 plus core charge for the short block (we're going with GT40/GT40P heads) I couldn't turn it down. Long story short, we tore it down to the block in the yard and it all looked good, so we now have a near perfect 351 short block with a rear oil pan, flex plate, and small block mounts for a bump. I'll check it properly before I button it up again, but I'm guessing the rings will be reused, and the bearings will plastigauge as good to go.
Good weekend :wink:

Edit - just found the receipt and the motor was actually $133 plus a $35 core charge, not the $194 plus core I was originally quoted. I'm even happier now :D
F250 Ecology.jpg
351 Windsor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jacksdad on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
farmallmta

Great score! Brass freeze plugs always dictate a closer look

Post by farmallmta »

Great weekend! Hey, do us all a favor and snag those emblems off the hood, letters and side markers both! If you don't need them, somebody here will! The whole hood, too, if it can be salvaged and repaired.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Hood's trashed unfortunately - huge gouge in the front. Not sure of the condition of the emblems. They didn't stand out as being that special. We still get a few bumps showing up in the wrecking yards, fortunately.
Actually, I was going to post that it has power discs if someone is looking to switch, and everything seems to be there. It's the Ecology Yard on Energy Way in Chula Vista. I'd pull them if I had time, but I'm pretty slammed with my own to-do list right now.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Working on refreshing my new to me High Pinion Dana 44.
20171110_175325a.jpg
20171110_175330a.jpg
20171110_175341a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Took advantage of the break from the deep freeze here to repaint and install my steering wheel and horn ring......... :woohoo:
IMG_20180112_121304_hdr_kindlephoto-107413984.jpg

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Worked on rust repair for the second of 385 days...

after 8 hours
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Nice to see someone tackling drip rail/roof rust :thup:
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Jacksdad wrote:Nice to see someone tackling drip rail/roof rust :thup:
Thanks gonna do the play by play in my build thread.
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Bumpside Bobby

Post by Bumpside Bobby »

I did a POWER STEERING conversion.
Following the instructions I got on this site, I was able to install all the parts and it works great, well......not at first.
Unlike the tinkerer, it did not work the first time, First error was the pump bracket from Borgeson was so short I could not get the lid off the pump to fill it because my A/C compressor covered it. I had to fabricate a better one. Then Second, the hose I had custom made for the pressure side got hooked to the return side of the box. do you know what that does??????? Its like HULK is under your truck turning the wheels left to right, and you cant stop him. :lol:
A few small adjustments and its all fixed.
NOW I HAVE POWER STEERING!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!
See you on the road
Bobby
:fr:
1969 F250 Ranger 390 4spd w/POWER STEERING (no name yet) over 500,000 miles
1956 Willys Jeep CJ5 modified powered by Ford "TONKA"
pawpaws67

Post by pawpaws67 »

Jacksdad wrote:Hood's trashed unfortunately - huge gouge in the front. Not sure of the condition of the emblems. They didn't stand out as being that special. We still get a few bumps showing up in the wrecking yards, fortunately.
Actually, I was going to post that it has power discs if someone is looking to switch, and everything seems to be there. It's the Ecology Yard on Energy Way in Chula Vista. I'd pull them if I had time, but I'm pretty slammed with my own to-do list right now.
I wonder if that power disc set up is still there...? It's only a two hour drive south and i'm off the rest of the week.

I did a complete drum brake job on all four corners to include new hoses, wheel cylinders, hardware and shoes today. Discovered that NPD had sent me one wrong wheel cylinder and another that fits but has a mysteriously small bleeder valve. I got everything bled down at about the same time my wife's patience gave out. Rolled it around the yard a few times and adjusted it up a little too much I think as there's only about 4 inches of travel in the pedal before it gets hard as rock. It's not ready to get out on the road yet where i'll be able to tell what I should change. After all this work I discovered I don't have brake lights and the Master Cylinder is leaking down the inside of the firewall... Any suggestions on where to find a quality MC? I'm starting to get a little leery of the parts from Autozone and O'Reillys.

Anyway, I guess thats why I call it a project. There's always something else I need to do.
1967 F-100 Ranger 2wd 352 3 spd
2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100