On mine, I changed the spark plugs, gapped them at .040 because I have an Accel Supercoil on it to go with my Pertronix Ignitor system. I had to put a 14" open element air cleaner on it, because the stock unit hit the coil.
Discovered a fuel drip coming from the fuel pump area. It's the type with a canister attached to the bottom. I tried to tighten the canister, but it didn't feel like it moved. But now it no longer drips fuel. I'm going to get under there and try to tighten it a bit more. Also check the fuel lines.
Replaced the wiper blades, and filled the washer reservoir. Got washer fluid all over the fender and frame because the reservoir stated leaking like crazy!
I pulled the reservoir off the fender and dumped the fluid back into the jug using a funnel. More mess.
I went to unhook the pump wiring and found another PO hack job. The wiring for the pump was spliced into the plug wiring harness by stripping some insulation from each wire, and wrapping the wire going to the pump around the open section of wire on the wiring harness! That was it. No electrical tape or anything to protect the wires! I removed the pump wires, and wrapped electrical tape around each harness wire separately, then wrapped them both together like the rest of the harness.
Went down to the basement and grabbed the reservoir/pump I bought from LMC Truck for the '68. Mounted that to the fender, attached the lines and connected the plug. Filled the reservoir, and started the engine. Wipers work fine, but nothing comes out of the washer nozzles. The pump was working perfectly when removed from the '68, so I know it works. Probably an electrical issue I didn't feel like dealing with at the time.
When I replaced the firewall cover, I had to pull the steering column. When I replaced it, I thought I had the steering wheel all lined up properly so the wheel would be properly oriented when driving straight. It was off a bit so I decided to correct that. It is a Grant wheel, so all I had to do was remove five Allen screws, turn the wheel a bit, and replace the screws. Well, the horn has never worked, so I decided to dig into that issue a bit. There is no power coming to the horn contact brush in the turn signal switch. Tracing that wire back down to the plug, the wire from the trucks harness to the horn wire in the column has been cut. There is 1/2 of exposed wire on the truck side of the plug. I replaced all the steering wheel and horn components. I found a wire under the dash near the steering column plug that was cut and exposed. I jumped that to the horn wire at the plug and the horn went off, even though the horn button wasn't pushed! Wassupwiddat?
More wiring issues to deal with!
Also, last night I took the bump out for a drive, and the turn signals were working fine. Then suddenly they quit working. After messing with the steering column, they work again! The turn signal flasher is brand new, I just replaced that today as well. The brake and hazard flasher lights have always functioned properly, even when the turn signals didn't.
So now I need to track down the washer pump issue (I'm wondering if the plug contacts are corroded and the PO just bypassed the plug). I need to figure out the horn issue, and I need to try to tighten up the possibly loose fuel filter canister.
Also, this afternoon I gave guidance to my special needs daughter while she did most of the work making chocolate chip cookies! Yummmm!!!
(That was the best part of my whole day!)