1995 FORD F450 SD V8 7.5 DUMP TRUCK

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Papa M

1995 FORD F450 SD V8 7.5 DUMP TRUCK

Post by Papa M »

Just purchased the truck, seems like the Hydralics may be bad, or I just don't know how to operate. I activate the PTO by pulling a handle on drivers side, then I move a handle installed on the vehicle hump. I can hear something going on but the dump bed does not lift.
Anyone out there that can help, sure would appreciate. From labels adhered to the Dump bed, the dumper package was installed by Crysteel. Looks like the dumper works on a transmission driven hydralic pump.
Thanks,
Papa M
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1995 FORD F450 SD V8 7.5 DUMP TRUCK

Post by fordman »

this post is in the wrong place. here is what i would check. in this order. hydralic fluid level. pto cables and thier operation. do they actualy move the lever on the pto. the pump for the fluid. and verify the flow. if you are gettign pressure to the cylinder then the cylinder is not working for some reason. if you arent getting pressure to the ram then it is a problem above. ie bad pump or stuck relief check ball. if it is getting pressure then it is possibly a check ball in the ram.
Papa M

Post by Papa M »

fordman wrote:this post is in the wrong place. here is what i would check. in this order. hydralic fluid level. pto cables and thier operation. do they actualy move the lever on the pto. the pump for the fluid. and verify the flow. if you are gettign pressure to the cylinder then the cylinder is not working for some reason. if you arent getting pressure to the ram then it is a problem above. ie bad pump or stuck relief check ball. if it is getting pressure then it is possibly a check ball in the ram.
Thanks, the pto cable does move the lever, where is the relief check ball. Someone told me that the hydralic fluid tank is under the dump bed, how can I check for fluid if I can't get the dump lift working. Also, where in the forum should I be posting?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

all the check balls woul dbe internal in the pump and or cylinder if it has one. the tanks i have seen have sight glasses in the side of them. but those are on larger trucks. the fill may be on the pump. i really do not know the system you have i was only giving guesses as to what i would look at. if the tank is in the frame under the bed. you will have to crawl under the truck to find it. it may fill there for all i know. i have no idea where to fill it at.
67bartcat

Post by 67bartcat »

is it a auto or a manual trans. we have a F450 auto bucket truck at work and it has to have the e-brake on to work
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Clutch has got to be out ofr it to work as well... Usually you can look under the bed between the frame rails and see the tank and can usually fill them with a kerosene heater transfer pump (squeeze bulb setup) or a squeeze bulb fuel line from an outboard boat motor setup. Personally I would be looking for leaks etc and maybe calling the folks you got it from first.

Seems they should have demonstrated it before you bought it???

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

4wd? try putting the transfer case in neutral and the trans in 4th. thats how the pto worked on our old pump truck
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

If the pto's on the tranny it runs off the counter and operates in any gear and nuetral provided the clutch is out. If the pto's on the t-case the tranny must be in gear, any gear (reverse is probably a bad idea).
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70