Camper advice

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

stang1986gt

Camper advice

Post by stang1986gt »

Hi folks, need a little camper towing advice. I have a 69 F-100 long bed with a 390 engine, automatic. I'd like to purchase a camper for me and my two kids to use next summer. Any idea how much I can pull safely with my truck? I know I should probably add a transmission cooler and trailer brakes. The truck is in great shape otherwise.

Thanks all!
Ranchero50

Re: Camper advice

Post by Ranchero50 »

Pulling you'll probably be fine, swerving and stopping will need some help. Power steering, power disc brakes, and some sway bars will make the truck more enjoyable. Per the trailer you'll need to find something that will fit your needs and is small enough to maneuver.

My folks just picked up a new Winnebago 1706 micro mini which is a small step up from a bed camper but wouldn't sleep three.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

I'm pretty anal when it comes towing safely. I've seen to many pickups laying on their sides with trailer pieces scattered on the road behind them in my travels. Makes for a crappy vacation. I towed a 19', 2800 lb. trailer with my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) with no problems (other than the gutless engine). I had it set up with a weight distributing hitch, friction sway control, and trailer brakes with a Tekonsha Prodigy controller. With an appropriately sized WD hitch, set up right, and the other items I think your truck should tow a 20' camp trailer fine. Adding sway bars will make it even more stable. The drum brakes should be fine as long as they are in great shape. Trans cooler addition should be a must as well as tires in good shape and capable of the loads added to the truck. A lot of stuff to consider but, keep in mind, it's you and your loved ones as well as those with you on the road whose safety is at stake.
Be safe out there.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
stang1986gt

Post by stang1986gt »

Thanks for the advice! Exactly what I need.