Did I Get Screwed?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

DuckRyder

Re: Did I Get Screwed?

Post by DuckRyder »

So what i come up with on O'Reily and Summit

2 seals (PN 472856; National brand) for 81.32; 23.99 EA = 47.98
2 rear wheel bearings (PN 18790; Timken brand) for 81.32; 27.97 EA = 55.94 - 23.99 EA BCA/National
2 bearing races (PN 18720; Timken brand) for 40.64; 16.97 EA = 33.94 - 11.99 EA BCA/National
2 bearing races (PN 25520; Timken brand) for 33.86; 8.97 EA = 17.94 - 9.99 EA BCA/National
2 rear wheel bearings (PN 25592; Timken brand) for 128.24; 29.97 EA = 59.94
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Cal2121 wrote:Thanks for the input. I certainly understand some markup, but it just seemed really high to me. I was contemplating doing it myself, and I think going forward I will do everything I can or buy the parts and pay labor. Thanks again.

Best thing you could do is get a set of original Ford factory service manuals if you want to do things yourself - ebay item again - I did and between all the fine folks here and those I haven't come acoss anything I couldn't fix myself.......yet.......also find a retired mechanic or someone that does it on the side that you can trust that may have the knowhow and tools to tackle the jobs that you can't do - I have a couple that I use here when I need it and they work a lot cheaper and I know they wont screw me...... :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I absolutely agree, Busboy - the mantra my son hears from me more than anything is not to be afraid to try, because there is simply no substitute for failing and learning from it.

Just as in any other demographic or profession, there are extremely intelligent mechanics out there, but training doesn't match experience or improve IQs, and an analytical mind is something you either have or don't have. One of my Dad's friends was self taught and worked out of a shed on a piece of land he rented, looked like the most archetypal grease monkey you could imagine, but he could fix anything with an ease that was almost unsettling while engaging you in a conversation about particle physics, philosophy or the meaning of life. Conversely, I had the owner of a very well respected shop argue up and down that there was no point porting a cylinder head without enlarging the valves as the gas would just pile up behind them until it choked the engine. And a young friend who recently graduated from tech school swore that the ticking from a cracked flex plate was actually a CV joint, even when it was pointed out that the car didn't have to be moving to make the noise.

My Dad was honest to a fault, even though he knew it was costing him money, and I remember a young girl coming in to his shop to get the last of three quotes to fix her brakes. Other than saying her mechanic had told her they were dangerous, she couldn't elaborate. My Dad took it for an exhaustive test drive and found nothing wrong, then jacked it up and came to the same conclusion. He told her the brakes were fine, but her response was to ask him again how much it would cost to fix them. Nothing he said would convince her she was being hosed by the other two shops. The end result? She got mad and left to get her third quote somewhere else.

I've seen oil changes that were little more than wiping off the filter, clutch adjustments that were billed as replacements, structural chassis repairs that were actually bondo and undercoat, supposedly rebuilt drum brakes that were thick with rust and spider webs - the list goes on. Do I think all mechanics do that? Absolutely not - that would be unfair to characterize an entire profession like that, but I've seen enough of it to know it happens more than most people realize. On a personal note, I recently had a tire changed while I watched, only to have the mechanic tell me my brake shoes were badly worn - without taking the drum off. What he didn't know was that I'd actually changed them out a few months earlier. And a few years ago, another mechanic told me that if I didn't replace the PCV valve with the right one (he was angling for some work after the car failed smog) the engine could "explode".

I bought a used Jeep for a song a few months back, and it came with a folder full of receipts half an inch thick. Among other things, the previous owner (a young girl) had been charged between $150 and $180 to change the valve cover gasket on three separate occasions in four years (the leak is actually the oil filter adapter). She'd been nickel and dimed on everything by a guy she had absolute trust in, and yet the front end was so shot that every ball joint, tie rod end and bushing has to be replaced. The death wobble when I got it was frightening. Her mechanic had either not noticed, or it was beyond him to fix. Those are just some of the reasons I haven't handed my keys over to anyone else in over thirty years, other than for smog tests.

And I agree that technologies are definitely changing, but a bump will always be a bump :wink:

1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

I've seen and heard the same stories or even worse. I am ASE Master certified in 3 different areas with other ASE certifications as well and I'll be the first to say that I wouldn't trust even a fellow ASE certified tech to change a tire on my truck unless I was there watching to ensure it was done correctly. We have a new mechanic (Afghanistan veteran) that couldn't figure out what the balance shaft was on a Ford V-10 engine!
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Kind of scary, right?

The last time I took my car to a shop was to redeem a Pennysaver voucher for a $17 transmission service. I was new to town, driving a '65 Buick Electra with a 445 Wildcat motor, no tools to speak of and no off street parking. I figured it'd be okay because I'd know if they were trying to screw me. Went back in the afternoon to find the transmission out of the car and torn down and me over a barrel. Long story short, it got real expensive and unpleasant, and next paycheck saw me buying tools. Never let anyone turn a wrench on my car since.
Last edited by Jacksdad on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

Thanks for all of the replies. It was an expensive lesson and something I won't let happen again. I really appreciate all of the input.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Cal1212 - sorry to hijack your thread there. We've all been there, so don't feel bad.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

>>Cal1212 - sorry to hijack your thread there. We've all been there, so don't feel bad.>>

Yes We Have. (Some of us are slow learners, and have been to that particular well a number of times. One of the reasons that I have bought more tools over the years than anyone in their 'right mind' ought to, but there's not one damned thing that I'm afraid to tear into, with the assistance of Google and some time in my shop.)
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

Yeah thats full markup, heck, for that kind of money you could have had new brakes, hardware, drums turned and new gear oil if you done it yourself.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
magic bus

Post by magic bus »

Good advice in this thread. I worked for years as a full time young mechanic. I had formal training at a tech school. My dads education stopped at the 8th grade.

I can't tell you how many times he would grab a hammer, drift, torch or whatever the job dictated and say " Here son let me show you how a man with an 8th grade education does it. "

And sure enough he would get the job done!

Just an FYI. You all know what ASE stands for right?

ASK SOMEBODY ELSE!!!! :D
71 F100 2WD Longbed Sport Custom 390 C6
67 Econoline E100 200 I6 3 on the Tree
70 Mustang Coupe 302 C4

97 Expedition 4x4 Eddie Bauer
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

Thanks again guys for the input. While it tends to reignite the anger I have for the situation, it is partly my fault for not questioning it before I paid. Paying someone else will definitely be a last resort from here on out, and I'll be asking a lot more questions.