Camper Special Towing Capacity

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Clunker

Camper Special Towing Capacity

Post by Clunker »

Hello everyone!

I'm sure this subject has been discussed before, but I can't seem to perform a search on this forum, and I can't find the answer anywhere online. Anyway, I am considering purchasing a travel trailer and would like to know what the official factory towing capacity is for my 1970 F250 camper special. I'm not interested in how much it is capable of, just what the official number is. Exceeding the limit is a hefty fine, so I want to know just how large a trailer I can get and still be legal. Thanks,
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
Ranchero50

Re: Camper Special Towing Capacity

Post by Ranchero50 »

Depends on the state on how they interpret gross vehicle weight and combined vehicle weight.

Are you running power disc brakes, power steering and some flavor of sway bars? If not I would not use it for towing around modern vehicles.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

It has power front disc and large rear drums. Also has power steering, and I have no problem installing sway bars. Trailer brakes are mandatory. The thing is, if it can only tow 5,000 lbs, then it isn't worth the effort. GVWR on the truck is no longer legible, but it weighed in at 4,700 the last time I took it to the landfill (then subtract 180 lbs for me).
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Without the tag I honestly don't know. Perhaps Marti can decode it. Different spring packages changed the weight rating. Being a CS it should have the heavy duty parts.

Clunker

Post by Clunker »

Decode? Would a VIN help?
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yeah, Marti Reports got the build sheets for a ton of 60's and 70's stuff. They do print outs of build sheets and that would tell you what spec parts were installed on the truck at the factory.

Clunker

Post by Clunker »

Great. VIN is F25YRH90338. I hadn't thought to look on the registration, but the scale weight (4,280) and gross weight (6,000) are listed. That does not leave much for trailer tongue weight, especially with a fifth wheel receiver, stabilizing gear, 45 gallons of gas, a driver, and the dog. Seems like these numbers are a little light for a CS, but maybe the state of Washington does not take the upgrades into account and just lumps all 1970 F250's into one category with minimum specifications. Anyway, I still don't know how much it can tow. Thanks,
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Should be very readable via the raised letters on the door tag.

I looked at 4 of my 1970 F-250 Camper Specials. They were all 6900. But still, your's could be as low as 6100#, 6900#, or 7500#.

I should think if you can't read it, it will be dependent on your paperwork (registration). Does WA even have pickup gross printed? If it doesn't "look" overloaded you should be able to talk common sense into any patrol officer that questions it. Just pull your phone out and record him so that if his is blatantly an ass-hole, you can have something on your side at trial. (the video).

I know we have to hold our guys accountable here in Idaho these days. I'm sure WA is no different, if not worse.

- Joseph
Owner @ bumpsidetreasures
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

Thanks for reminding me about the stamped door tag. I was looking at the pillar sticker that has been fading for 47 years. Stamped tag says GVW is 7,500 lbs.. That is much better than 6,000, but I still don't know about towing.
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

There you go! 7,500 is the good one. :) Start towing, and you'll know when you have too much!

Tomorrow I'm taking a 7,500 # '68 Camper Special out to snag a 1970 159" Wheelbase F-350 with 12ft flatbed. With my small trailer I'll have about 8,000 in tow. Probably near 2,500 of that as tongue weight. The truck weighs about 4,800 empty. So I'll be just about at max. If anyone gives me trouble, I'll defer to my original post.

- Joseph
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Attaching image from today's tow. The old '68 F-250 with 390/C-6 and 3.73 Locking rear did just dandy. Pulled great. Hat to give some space on the slow-downs, even with the front disc brakes. But otherwise super.

- Joseph

Last edited by idaho_cowboy on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

Good to know. So, do I understand correctly that you were pulling a total weight of 8,000 lbs (plus the weight of the pickup)? Did you have trailer brakes? I also have a C-6 and 3.73, but I have no idea what's under the hood. It came stock with a 360, but one of the previous owners had the engine rebuilt and then installed a cam, performance valve springs, headers, and had the heads rebuilt with hardened valve seats. If someone went through all the trouble to make those improvements, then you would think they would also upgrade to 390 internals. Easiest way to tell is to pull the oil pan, which is more difficult than it sounds. I ended up adding an Edelbrock intake and Holley 600 to the mix, so it should have plenty of torque. It gets all new brakes this weekend.
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

Clunker wrote: but I have no idea what's under the hood. It came stock with a 360, but one of the previous owners had the engine rebuilt and then installed a cam, performance valve springs, headers, and had the heads rebuilt with hardened valve seats. If someone went through all the trouble to make those improvements, then you would think they would also upgrade to 390 internals. Easiest way to tell is to pull the oil pan, which is more difficult than it sounds.

Might wanna read threw this http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =34&t=1317 Measure the stroke and you will know :thup: :D
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Yes, trailer + the F-350 should came came in right around 8,000lbs. Total with the F-250 pulling would have been around 12,200 give or take a passenger.

It's a bone stock 390 with 4v intake and carb. Stock exhaust manifolds. Nothing to write home about.

Pulling was no issue at all. Like I said, needed to take my time stopping. But I'm due for pads on the front brakes..

No trailer brakes. My trailer is just small enough/light enough not to require them in Idaho.

This was a max-effort job. Usually I wouldn't think of it. But for the sake of the discussion I wanted to show what can still be done comfortably.

As far as suspension and power the '68 doesn't really have much for upgrades. And it was flawless.

- Joseph
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

Sounds like I should be good for 8,000 lbs. then. Good to know.

The dowel method for measuring stroke is too unreliable. I have tried it twice by two different methods and both times I got 3.625", which is neither a 360 nor a 390 stroke. I have a full set of 390 internals (minus pistons/rings) and a set of very nice heads that I would like to use if I knew for certain that it was still a 360. I should have recorded casting numbers when I replaced the oil pan gasket but had no idea that a previous owner may have already done it.