4bbl Cast Iron Intake value?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 4bbl Cast Iron Intake value?

Post by colnago »

I've heard good things about muriatic acid, although I've never used it. I guess it's the same stuff they use in Vaseline. My go-to stuff is phosphoric acid. Same basic routine. Soak the parts in a tub, and keep turning the parts to get everything soaked off. Don't use it on aluminum, though; it will eat it up (yum, yum). You can get a one-gallon jug at Home Depot for about $16. If I have the time, I'll set up an electrolysis vat for a few days, then I'll attack the parts with the acid and a wire brush.

The acid is used for etching cement, so if you spill/splash it on your driveway and don't clean it up, you may have interesting designs ...

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
MTM

Re: 4bbl Cast Iron Intake value?

Post by MTM »

Clunker wrote:That intake is in beautiful condition. I couldn't find any info on it either, other than it was originally from an early 60's Thunderbird. Someone had one posted on ibid for $250, but I don't know what it sold for. Yours is in better condition.
Beware of Thunderbird intakes. The carb sits flat on them, as in parallel to the valve cover. This may or may not cause an issue with float level in anything but a T bird where the engines sit parallel to the ground. Worst case you could have a spacer fly cut at an angle to compensate, of course you'd have to open up the stud holes too.