4bbl Cast Iron Intake value?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

MadJoe

4bbl Cast Iron Intake value?

Post by MadJoe »

Hey guys, I just stumbled into a great deal on an Edelbrock Performer 390 intake for $120, and as long as it's in as good of shape as the seller claimed (literally just got it, haven't had a chance to check it thoroughly), I think I'd rather use that than the cast iron one I had thermally cleaned 2 months ago.

Any suggestions on value for the cast iron one? All cleaned up and ready to be painted has to count for something, right? Other than that one, which I bought for $75 (and paid $120 to clean), I've only seen 2 on CL: one for ridiculous money - $250!, and the other for cheap, but only 2bbl, for $40; both absolutely filthy and needing cleaning. So any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Joe
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
idaho_cowboy

Re: 4bbl Cast Iron Intake value?

Post by idaho_cowboy »

The cast iron 4v may or may not have any value based on the casting numbers, and who's looking for that particular casting it in your area. Typically $50-$100 is what they go for, or they end up in the scrap iron bin.

2v. iron are worth about $20.

With a 1" carb spacer, the factory cast intake isn't all that much different than a Performer 390. Biggest advantage is the 390 is easier to lift! However, the performer 390 is also a bit more tricky installing/maintaining. Would recommend using Edelbrock's intake bolt kit if you do go with it. 8 longs, 2 shorts with washer. Part # 8508 on Summit.

If it were me. I'd paint and install the Iron intake. Clean and sell the Edelbrock. Someone is always looking for it, and it might bring $200 if it's in real good shape.

- Joseph
Owner @ bumpsidetreasures
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

I bought this Intake (same as one pictured)
http://www.mustangtek.com/Intake/C8OE-9425-C.html
and these head's (same as the ones in picture)
http://www.mustangtek.com/heads/C4AE-6090-G.html
from a buddy for 500$

Good deal :dk: but like joseph said "casting numbers" are the value to me :2cents: I had a 4v off nothing special and couldn't give away
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

67mann wrote:I bought this Intake (same as one pictured)
http://www.mustangtek.com/Intake/C8OE-9425-C.html
and these head's (same as the ones in picture)
http://www.mustangtek.com/heads/C4AE-6090-G.html
from a buddy for 500$

Good deal :dk: but like joseph said "casting numbers" are the value to me :2cents: I had a 4v off nothing special and couldn't give away
Thanks, good to know. I certainly don't have that intake, though. I'll have to do some casting numbers research and see if I'm in the same boat as you were, or have a good one.

-Joe
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

I paid $150 for a C4SE and then within a week found a Performer 390 at a wrecking yard for $60. After researching, I found that the Edelbrock was better for torque (not to mention that it didn't require an engine hoist to remove and install). The guy who sold me the C4SE said it came off a 428 police interceptor, but he could be full of it. "The Great FE Intake Comparo" book suggests that the C4SE has the highest flow rate of any stock iron intake other than the cobra jet, and it offered higher horsepower than the Edelbrock on high performance engines. The Performer 390 offered better low to mid RPM torque, and that's what I wanted. It all depends on what you plan to do with the truck and what type of engine build you want. Did you find any casting numbers yet?

67mann
I bought the exact same heads but haven't used them yet. How do you like them?
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

Clunker wrote:
67mann
I bought the exact same heads but haven't used them yet. How do you like them?
:roll: Would love to tell you but, the project stalled :doh: before any road time. I bought them from my buddy and he had already had the hardened seat's done. Being the 2.02valves...went with a longer duration cam and heavier spring's. This was my engine thread back when it was done http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =3&t=60624 My buddies Talladaga (the motor on the stand) has about the Identical drive train and I have driven that :woohoo: :D
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

C3AE-9425B. Can't find much about it anywhere, but if I "smudge" the 3 into an 8 it comes up as a 260/289/302 intake.
Any ideas? I guess I'll keep the Performer 390 (low end torque is what I wanted anyway) and slap this on craigslist.

Thanks again, guys.

-Joe
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

That intake is in beautiful condition. I couldn't find any info on it either, other than it was originally from an early 60's Thunderbird. Someone had one posted on ibid for $250, but I don't know what it sold for. Yours is in better condition.
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:hmm: this is what I find but, they won't validate the info http://www.mustangtek.com/Intake/C3AE-9425-B.html so for what it's worth :?
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Clunker wrote:That intake is in beautiful condition. I couldn't find any info on it either, other than it was originally from an early 60's Thunderbird. Someone had one posted on ibid for $250, but I don't know what it sold for. Yours is in better condition.
Thanks, I had it thermally cleaned a few months ago. Believe me, it looked like a 54yo intake when I got it. I wish I had thought to take a "before" shot before it was to late. Oh well.

As far as where it came from, the guy who sold it to me said he took it off his old '63 Galaxie 500 that had a 390. Of course he could have been mistaken or full of it. Not really knowing much about these, I had to take his word for it. Either way, Thunderbird or Galaxie, it's for a car, not a truck so if the Performer is in good shape (I still haven't been able to really take a good look at it or see if anything is out of wack, cracked, bent, dented etc..) I think I'll use that. But I'll probably hang onto this one for now. I'd like to know more about it before I sell it since I don't want to get ripped off or rip anyone off, and as it sits I'm into it for $160 total after cleaning. So if it's worth that or more, great. If not, dang.

Here's a better shot of it fresh from the cleaning:

Thanks again!

-Joe
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Nicest intake i have seen in a while.
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I currently have a 4BBL "S" intake on my 352 (big "S" cast into one of the front runners). A few years ago, I bought a 4BBL "T" intake for $50, and paid another $50 to get it shipped. I don't remember what I paid for the cleaning. I just installed it on a rebuild project I have in the garage. I hear all kinds of stories about performance differences ("S" is for "suck", "T" is for "truck"; it's just like the Performer, but heavier; there's no benefit over a 2BBL; Ford never made a decent 4BBL intake; blah blah blah). I guess I'll find out after I finish the rebuild.

But as for value, I probably wouldn't have paid much more for mine, since I could have searched for a Performer just as easily.

:2cents:

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

colnago wrote:I currently have a 4BBL "S" intake on my 352 (big "S" cast into one of the front runners). A few years ago, I bought a 4BBL "T" intake for $50, and paid another $50 to get it shipped. I don't remember what I paid for the cleaning. I just installed it on a rebuild project I have in the garage. I hear all kinds of stories about performance differences ("S" is for "suck", "T" is for "truck"; it's just like the Performer, but heavier; there's no benefit over a 2BBL; Ford never made a decent 4BBL intake; blah blah blah). I guess I'll find out after I finish the rebuild.

But as for value, I probably wouldn't have paid much more for mine, since I could have searched for a Performer just as easily.

:2cents:

Joseph
I have been happy with my s intake. Only issue was toting it out of the junkyard. Been fine on the truck. For the price it was it beat the performer. Got one of them on the shelf now too. Also got a 429 choices choices.
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
MTM

Post by MTM »

When I went through the engine in my 390 LTD I decided to put on a 4V intake. I ran into a guy with a cool 64 F100 with 3x2. He likes to hunt for cool parts at the local junkyard as a hobby. Anyway he told me that he had a cast iron 68 428 Cobra Jet manifold that he found on a 360 in a bump. $50 bucks, but dirty and rusty inside. The price was a lot better than the aftermarket intakes that I had been watching on CL.

I called a good small radiator shop local to me and he said that he couldn't help, but he told me to buy muriatic acid and put it in a plastic tote for a bit. I bought $27 dollars worth of acid and poured it into the tote. Unfortunately It would take more like $100 worth of acid to fully submerge it, so I just poured the acid through the runners. It took an hour or slightly more, but it looked like new when finished. Then I coated all unpainted surfaces and runners with WD-40 and paint on top. It works great and doesn't cost much. It could be done with $9 worth in hindsight, but it would mean more times pulling intake out of tote and carefully pouring the acid from a bucket. Gloves, mask, and eye protection are your friend with this task. I still have the acid in a homer bucket for the next time I need it. I Just thought I would throw that out there for the cheap and broke among us, of which I am both. :lol:
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

MTM wrote:I Just thought I would throw that out there for the cheap and broke among us, of which I am both. :lol:
That would be me too - I'll be trying that on mine. I have the exact same intake as Joe, and it needs a good cleaning before I can contemplate using it. Thanks for the heads up about using muriatic acid :thup:
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.