Where to get truck appraisal

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Big Blue 72

Where to get truck appraisal

Post by Big Blue 72 »

Does anyone have a recommendation of where I could take my truck to get a written appraisal of the trucks value for insurance purposes? I just got my truck back on the road after a lengthy restoration and I KNOW if I got in an accident the insurance company would give me pennies on the dollar. I need to get an appraisal so I can prove to the insurance company what its' worth.

I live in Washington State.
IMG_2177.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Where to get truck appraisal

Post by sargentrs »

Not sure if it counts for an insurance rate but this gives some interesting numbers. http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/ ... LWB/Values. Some of the classic car insurers like Hagertys offer appraisals too.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Big Blue 72

Post by Big Blue 72 »

Thank! I'll check into that.
lamogo33

Post by lamogo33 »

Some insurance companies let you insure whatever price you want for upgrades etc... But appraisals can be done at car lots, or even some insurance companies as previously stated can do it, or a classic restoration garage could too. The best thing to do is call YOUR insurance company and ask them what kind of appraisal they will take and if they can do it for you. HTH.
1928 Model A Sedan
1952 Ford Tudor Sedan (Mainline)*
1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB w/a 454*

* = Daily Driver
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Blue, Like said above.
Call your insurance company & ask them where can you have it appraised .
They will instruct you where and who to get it appraised ?
OR you can take it to a official certified appraiser in your area.
Some good body shops have a certified appraiser.
Some charge $100 or so for the official appraise and some will ask you what is the dollar amount you want it appraised for.
NOT saying they will appraise it for your amount but will ask you anyway.
Nice truck.
How much do you wish yours appraised for?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Btw, I forgot to mention, that is a gorgeous truck! 8)
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Big Blue 72

Post by Big Blue 72 »

Thanks. I love the truck. :D I'd sell my daily driver before I got rid of it. It's funny how it brings back memories for so many people. So many people grew up with one, their parents had one, their friends had one, they remember seeing them, etc. etc. It's a great truck to have.

I talked to my insurance company long ago and he wasn't specific about "where" to get an appraisal. He said I can insure it for whatever value I want but should be able to back it up with "documentation", (receipts, appraisal, current market price, etc). I'm not exactly sure what value to put on it. :hmm: I've got thousands into the restoration and I know it's unrealistic to think I could recover those costs. I just want to make sure I don't get screwed by the insurance company. I'm sure if Allstate looked in their little "value" book they'd try to tell me a 72 Ford is worth $850. That'd barely replace the tires. :wink:

I'm just going to accumulate as much documentation as I can and hope I never have to fight an insurance company. :rant: I have all the receipts and I print out flyers from time to time when I see people selling similar trucks. I've see prices that range from $1000 to a stock one that sold at Barrett Jackson for $31,000.

An appraisal would be nice to have in case I ever need it.
lamogo33

Post by lamogo33 »

Market's on classics are always a fluctuating affair. One summer these 4x4 trucks might be the thing to have and suddenly people are spending 3x what a truck is worth, and the next year it could be out and worth pennies on the dollars compared to the year before. That's how it works.

The best advice I have for you is to determine how much it is worth to you. Whatever that price is, then that's what to insure it for. In other words, fill in the blank: "If I had to sell my truck I'd rather have $_______ rather than the truck."

And yes, beautiful looking truck. I love old stuff because of just how many conversations they can start at stop lights, gas stations, parking lots, etc... and you have a real head tuner with great appeal. Cherish it.
1928 Model A Sedan
1952 Ford Tudor Sedan (Mainline)*
1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB w/a 454*

* = Daily Driver
Big Blue 72

Post by Big Blue 72 »

Thank you! :thup: