Honestly, what's it worth?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

lamogo33

Honestly, what's it worth?

Post by lamogo33 »

Before I begin, I know what you are going to say... "It's worth how much somebody is willing to pay." I know, but my family is in a financial hardship ATM and I need to come up with some cash so I have to sell it, and I'd like a starting point. The issue is, this truck is too hard to price for me cause of how unique it is. So let me introduce you to the "Green Latrine" and then give me a fair price of what you think it is worth, what you'd be willing to pay for it.

She is a 1969 F350 Dually, with a 9' flat bed and gooseneck hitch. The original 390 has been replaced with a Perkins 6.354 diesel engine, which is mated to the stock NP435. It also has a 3 speed spicer, also known as a browine (double under, direct, over) which then finishes with the stock Dana 70 (I believe) with 4.10 gears. I've rescued it after it was parked in 1998. I've installed a new windshield gasket, had the injection pump rebuilt by a diesel garage, replaced the master cylinder, and most of the front brake hardware, to include calipers, brackets, pads, and soft lines. It runs fine but is old and needs work.

The ignition switch needs replaced. The wipers are not functional, and some of the side lights are broken. Carpet could be replaced. The dash pad has been removed (still have it). And the universal joints need replaced. Also the speedometer is not functioning. However, a custom cable has been ran from the brownie to the speedometer. The cable spins freely and the gauge does work but the gear in the brownie is not spinning the cable. The tires should be replaced, and I'd recommend bias plys to keep the aggressive look in the rear with drive tires up front. Lastly, the brownie does work but I've never been able to get it to stay in overdrive while moving forward, only in reverse. I am not sure if it is a shift fork, bad bearings, bad gears or what but that might need attention.

Lastly, I have sourced another Perkins 6.354, and a SRW Dana 70 with 3.08 gears. Both could be picked up for scrap I'd imagine, if they would add to the selling price.

If you need some numbers to work with, NADA says it is worth $10,000, and I'm in it about $2,200. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DuckRyder on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed images
1928 Model A Sedan
1952 Ford Tudor Sedan (Mainline)*
1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB w/a 454*

* = Daily Driver
lamogo33

Re: Honestly, what's it worth?

Post by lamogo33 »

I'm not sure how to post pictures.

Here is a link to an online album. http://imgur.com/a/b9K0o
1928 Model A Sedan

* = Daily Driver
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

It's more of a matter of _where_ you are. Here on the left coast a running bump can still be had for $700 +/-
They seem to fetch more in the mid-west, and even more so on the east coast.

Out here in Commiefornia your truck would fetch about $1,800 +/- since it's a one ton dually.

My two cents, I'd keep it. Selling material items does not get one out of finical difficulties. The truck will be gone, the money spent, and the finical problems still present. Might as well keep the rig.
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
lamogo33

Post by lamogo33 »

ToughOldFord wrote:It's more of a matter of _where_ you are. Here on the left coast a running bump can still be had for $700 +/-
They seem to fetch more in the mid-west, and even more so on the east coast.

Out here in Commiefornia your truck would fetch about $1,800 +/- since it's a one ton dually.

My two cents, I'd keep it. Selling material items does not get one out of finical difficulties. The truck will be gone, the money spent, and the finical problems still present. Might as well keep the rig.
Thanks for your input. It is very much appreciated.
1928 Model A Sedan

* = Daily Driver
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Bumps with diesels (even a Perkins) in the shape you're talking about should be pushing north of $3000 in WA.

Some lucky dog up here has a 72 avocado green highboy, Cummins diesel, perfect in every respect. That truck would sell for north of $20K if it ever went on market.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
lamogo33

Post by lamogo33 »

tsherry wrote:Bumps with diesels (even a Perkins) in the shape you're talking about should be pushing north of $3000 in WA.

Some lucky dog up here has a 72 avocado green highboy, Cummins diesel, perfect in every respect. That truck would sell for north of $20K if it ever went on market.
Thanks for the input and that truck sounds cool! I like this thing 'cause this diesel was swapped before diesel swaps were a thing. I'm thinking about posting it on eBay in a week or so. I have it for sale locally but so far only got a couple trade offers.

Peace
1928 Model A Sedan

* = Daily Driver
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

I am in Tehama County Ca. Around here probably $1,800. to $2,400. Due to what it needs.
Nada shows my 68 C.S. is worth way more than what I could get I'm sure.
Last edited by Mancar1 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

by lamogo33 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:10 pm
Before I begin, I know what you are going to say... "It's worth how much somebody is willing to pay." I know, but my family is in a financial hardship ATM and I need to come up with some cash so I have to sell it, and I'd like a starting point. The issue is, this truck is too hard to price for me cause of how unique it is. So let me introduce you to the "Green Latrine" and then give me a fair price of what you think it is worth, what you'd be willing to pay for it.
She is a 1969 F350 Dually, with a 9' flat bed and gooseneck hitch. The original 390 has been replaced with a Perkins 6.354 diesel engine, which is mated to the stock NP435. It also has a 3 speed spicer, also known as a browine (double under, direct, over) which then finishes with the stock Dana 70 (I believe) with 4.10 gears. I've rescued it after it was parked in 1998. I've installed a new windshield gasket, had the injection pump rebuilt by a diesel garage, replaced the master cylinder, and most of the front brake hardware, to include calipers, brackets, pads, and soft lines. It runs fine but is old and needs work.
The ignition switch needs replaced. The wipers are not functional, and some of the side lights are broken. Carpet could be replaced. The dash pad has been removed (still have it). And the universal joints need replaced. Also the speedometer is not functioning. However, a custom cable has been ran from the brownie to the speedometer. The cable spins freely and the gauge does work but the gear in the brownie is not spinning the cable. The tires should be replaced, and I'd recommend bias plys to keep the aggressive look in the rear with drive tires up front. Lastly, the brownie does work but I've never been able to get it to stay in overdrive while moving forward, only in reverse. I am not sure if it is a shift fork, bad bearings, bad gears or what but that might need attention.
Lastly, I have sourced another Perkins 6.354, and a SRW Dana 70 with 3.08 gears. Both could be picked up for scrap I'd imagine, if they would add to the selling price.
If you need some numbers to work with, NADA says it is worth $10,000, and I'm in it about $2,200. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
It's a "unique" truck loaded down with patina for sure but realize that won't raise the price of the sale. I had just over $8K in my 71' F-350 one ton dually that I'd had a custom made aluminum flat bed with hidden gooseneck / hidden spare tire / all new brake and fuel lines / rebuilt engine / rebuilt auto C-6 tranny / upgraded new wiring to the headlights (common issue with flashing/dim headlights in our bump era trucks) / all new LED cab and bed lighting / six all new 10 ply RADIAL Goodyear tires wrapped on aluminum 16" rims.

Make the truck safe and so it would pass a DOT roadside inspection-then try to sell it and it would pull a lot...more than it's current state.
1) Repair the windshield wipers.
2) Ditch the death trap split rims and 16.5" bias ply tires (which you can't even buy anymore) is there two different size tires on the truck from front to back? Never do this because I'm sure it doesn't have two different spare tire(s) or carriers?
3) Get the gear needed for the brownie box to get the speedometer working.
4) Replace the broken side lights.
5) Repair / replace the ignition switch, (or is it in the wiring itself and has been hot wired)?
6) Is the fork in the brownie box bad and needs rebuilt to stay in gear?
7) What else needs to be done on the brakes to make it driveable?
8 ) No door locks
9) Diesel exhaust very loud not exiting the rear or extended stacks above the cab?

There's a few thousand in repairs that a new owner can expect to safely drive the truck and pass a DOT inspection when he gets pulled over. :pop:
Last edited by basketcase0302 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

It's worth whatever the engine is worth. Rest of the truck, add $800 or so. If the diesel conversion was cobbled together, less.

Financial hardships are usually a lifestyle issue so selling the truck for $1500 isn't going to save the day, only prolong the suffering.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
lamogo33

Post by lamogo33 »

basketcase0302 wrote:
by lamogo33 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:10 pm
Make the truck safe and so it would pass a DOT roadside inspection-then try to sell it and it would pull a lot...more than it's current state.
1) Repair the windshield wipers.
2) Ditch the death trap split rims and 16.5" bias ply tires (which you can't even buy anymore) is there two different size tires on the truck from front to back? Never do this because I'm sure it doesn't have two different spare tire(s) or carriers?
3) Get the gear needed for the brownie box to get the speedometer working.
4) Replace the broken side lights.
5) Repair / replace the ignition switch, (or is it in the wiring itself and has been hot wired)?
6) Is the fork in the brownie box bad and needs rebuilt to stay in gear?
7) What else needs to be done on the brakes to make it driveable?
8 ) No door locks
9) Diesel exhaust very loud not exiting the rear or extended stacks above the cab?

There's a few thousand in repairs that a new owner can expect to safely drive the truck and pass a DOT inspection when he gets pulled over. :pop:
1. My rims are spilt-ring, and 16 inch.
5. The original turns with a screwdriver. I did replace with a reman, but it fell apart after 5 months. Threw the old one back on.
7. It is a daily driver ATM.
8. Needed?
9. They are, by a foot or more.
1928 Model A Sedan

* = Daily Driver
lamogo33

Post by lamogo33 »

Ranchero50 wrote:It's worth whatever the engine is worth. Rest of the truck, add $800 or so. If the diesel conversion was cobbled together, less.

Financial hardships are usually a lifestyle issue so selling the truck for $1500 isn't going to save the day, only prolong the suffering.
Diesel conversion is actually decent. There is a front motor mount that is bolted up to its on custom cross member. Then it is bolted up to the stock transmission (both SAE #2 bell housing, I think...). The only goofy thing about it is that they did a body lift on the truck for hood clearance. About 1" up front, 1/2" at front of the cab, and 0" at the rear of the cab. Too bad I don't know what the engine is worth, hahahah!
1928 Model A Sedan

* = Daily Driver
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I did a 1.5" body lift on the cab to clear the trans on mine. Kind of funny that they did a taper on yours.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

I think you can safely ask for $3k and be prepared to accept $2k if you do sell it. The big thing is finding a buyer, as later model diesels are selling cheap now.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
lamogo33

Post by lamogo33 »

hfdco4 wrote:I think you can safely ask for $3k and be prepared to accept $2k if you do sell it. The big thing is finding a buyer, as later model diesels are selling cheap now.
Hey thanks for the input. Those were close to my numbers actually.
1928 Model A Sedan

* = Daily Driver
dudingbos

Post by dudingbos »

I don't really have anything useful to say, I just wish you luck with your financial problems! Stay strong!