Towing a bumpside (with a bumpside) by tow bar

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

farmallmta

Towing a bumpside (with a bumpside) by tow bar

Post by farmallmta »

Some pretty expensive transport suggestions were being made for a common issue with getting our bumpsides from one place to another. A couple of postings have mentioned flat towing with a tow bar, but not very much elaboration was given to help people understand how they can work well.

Flat tow of a bumpside with a tow bar can work great, providing you do it correctly and used good sense.

Thousands of vehicles are towed daily at full highway speeds with tow bars. This can work just fine for you as long as you observe a few commonsense rules. I towed a '69 F250 with a tow bar behind another '69 F250 (both purchased from their separate original owners the same day) from Albuquerque, NM to Amarillo, TX, about a 5 hour, 400 mile trip over some mountains, hills, desert. I had no problems whatsoever. However, the following rules were observed.

1: Tow at night when traffic (and Law Enforcement presence) are lowest and you can more safely keep your speed down.
2) Remove driveshaft of the towed vehicle, stow with U-joints taped securely to prevent bearing caps from coming lose and scattering bearings.
3) SECURELY attach the tow bar to the towed vehicle. Brackets can be easily fabricated for the front bumper. The one I towed had a grill guard with holes for tow bar attachment.
4) Front suspension and tires of towed vehicle MUST be in very good condition. If the front end and steering are slack and have play in them, flat towing is not an option. Fix what should be fixed. D0 NOT START OUT WITH A LOOSE FRONT SUSPENSION AND BADLY WORN TIRES on either vehicle as you'll see whipping and travel that can be a hazard to you, your vehicles, and others on the road. Vehicles must be in good shape before you start.
4) Flat towing is accomplished at posted road speeds. If you have a load on the towed vehicle, slow down. You're still going to get where you're going at 45mph, just a little later. SLOW DOWN!
5) Connect a light kit from your towing vehicle's trailer harness to the back of the towed vehicle: the magnet style of kit stays put just fine and requires no drilling into your towed vehicle or light system. Harbor freight has these along with the tow bar you'll need.
6) Some drivers tie a rope with a bit of slack from the towed vehicles steering wheel to the towed vehicles vent window pillar or door handle to ensure the steering wheel cannot turn fully, sending the towed vehicle to the side dramatically in the case of an emergency. I've found it's not needed or advisable. If both vehicles suspensions are in good shape and you drive wisely, you'll have no problems.

Again, thousands of vehicles are flat towed by tow bar daily at highway speeds. U-haul used to rent tow bars and hitches, but Harbor Freight can be cheaper. I can personally vouch for the safety, cost effectiveness, and ease of this method of transport as long as you observe the above rules.