body mechanicals

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

paddy_70

body mechanicals

Post by paddy_70 »

Have a 1970 F-100 and need to know how you get to linkage on windshield wiper. I need to replace gaskets on outer linkage assembly.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: body mechanicals

Post by Jacksdad »

I just replaced the driver's side assembly and you have to pull the dash - undo the screws around the edge, disconnect the speedo cable and wiring connector and you'll much more room to work. The wiper assembly has three bolts and a c-clip, but you might get away with leaving the clip in place.
Not sure about the other side though. Pull the glove box liner maybe?
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yeah, wipers went in first so it's easiest with everything out of the truck. Spray the bolts a couple days before trying to break them off. I used windshield strip caulk as a gasket when I installed mine. No leaks. PITA to install because the metal dash hurts as it gnaws on your arms.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Yep - I doused the ends of the bolts through the cowl vents for a few days before I attempted it too. Should have mentioned that because the ends are exposed to the elements. Not as much of a big deal in SoCal as elsewhere, but it still helped.
And Ranchero's right. Prepare to meet some nasty sharp edges while you're doing it. That's why I was wondering if you might be able to leave the C-clips holding the arms in place, because they're a bear to remove. And they're even worse to replace. Luckily I grabbed a spare when I pulled the assembly at the wrecking yard, because the first one disappeared without trace when it slipped out of my fingers.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.