Anoying sound in the motor

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Tujohn

Anoying sound in the motor

Post by Tujohn »

1I have an 85 AMC Eagle 4x4 I have been having issues with a very loud whistling sound comeing from somewhere in the motor and I can't find what is causeing it. It goes completly away when you give it enough throttle but comes right back when you let off or let it idle. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks Tucker.
markguiver

Re: Anoying sound in the motor

Post by markguiver »

Sounds like something to do with the vacuum lines/fittings or the PCV system. At idle when the vacuum is highest the whistling would be more noticeable. I would check or replace all the vacuum lines and pay careful attention to any plastic connectors or "T's". The whistling may be caused by a crack in a fitting, loose or split vacuum line, or something not sealing properly. I would check the PCV hoses/fittings as well as the carb base gasket.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
Tujohn

Post by Tujohn »

From what I could see all the lines looked ok to me. I reaplace one that was rottted. It sound like it's coming from the back side of the motor on the driver side of the car. But I'm still having no luck. It is the loudest when I'm idle but also completely dissaoers in idele and will become loudest when I give it about 1/4 throttle.
Tujohn

Post by Tujohn »

It ended up being a loose bolt behind the carb that was causing it. Thank you fir the advice though Mark!! Now I'm in the process of figureing out why I have such poor acceleration and why my 4x4 wont engage, I can engage it manully but that could be tricky if I'm already in a bad situation and can't get to the transfer case easily.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Tujohn"]It ended up being a loose bolt behind the carb that was causing it. Thank you fir the advice though Mark!! Now I'm in the process of figureing out why I have such poor acceleration and why my 4x4 wont engage, I can engage it manully but that could be tricky if I'm already in a bad situation and can't get to the transfer case easily.
Really hate to say it but if you simply tightened a bolt on the carburetor base or intake manifold thinking your problems are solved with a vacuum leak your wrong.
You would still need to replace the gasket as it's probably still not seating-and this would be a key problem causing your acceleration issues. Buy a cheap vacuum gauge and you'easily troubleshoot if you still have a vacuum leak or not. You can also troubleshoot this by using a can of starter fluid or carb cleaner, (I prefer the starter fluid as it doesn't leave a residue and evaporates quicker) spraying all around ALL vacuum surfaces and gasket areas.
With the engine running you'll be spraying, (keeping in mind this is a highly flammable spray your using-stay away from exposed wiring and exhaust) with the engine running. You'll hear the engine RPM increase, (usually by a lot) when your spray hits a vacuum leak. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Tujohn

Post by Tujohn »

Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll have to check that out tomorow, I need it running like new (newish atleast) because i got a 45 hour round trio ahead of me in about 2 months. Only other issue I'm having is I noticed a grinding noise today when I engaged the 4x4. Not sher what causes it but I disengaged it right away and won't have time for atleast a week to even look at it. Any ideas on a good place to start for that issue???
Tujohn

Post by Tujohn »

Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll have to check that out tomorow, I need it running like new (newish atleast) because i got a 45 hour round trip ahead of me in about 2 months. Only other issue I'm having is I noticed a grinding noise today when I engaged the 4x4. Not sher what causes it but I disengaged it right away and won't have time for atleast a week to even look at it. Any ideas on a good place to start for that issue???
ButtaBean

Post by ButtaBean »

I had an extremely annoying sound in the cab yesterday, high-pitched and whiny. Upon further inspection,turns out it was the Misses complaining about my driving. Improved drastically when she insisted on being dropped off at home. Easy fix!