Power Steering Pump???

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Cal2121

Power Steering Pump???

Post by Cal2121 »

I have a 68 F250 CS with a recently installed rebuilt 390.

Getting squeal when I start up the truck. Sounds like belt squeal from the belt driving the PS pump. I replaced the belt, made sure the pulleys are aligned, and made sure the belt was snug. When the squeal first started, it would only do it for may 20-30 seconds and then stop. It is getting more prolonged and not going away until after driving the truck for like 10-15 minutes. I know that usually squeal is associated with a loose belt, but given the measures I've taken, I'm starting to question whether it could be the PS pump (original to the truck). Not sure if this is related, but I've also noticed recently that when I first start the truck and begin using the steering wheel I get a slight pulsation feel in the steering wheel. Any thoughts?

As always, thank you very much.
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Power Steering Pump???

Post by cdnwillyg »

Does the squealing get worse when turning the wheel or lessen? If the fluid got low and entrap air into the system it can produce a squeal. If no leaks just run the wheels hard left to hard right a few times, if it's air that should push it out. :2cents:
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

Turning the wheel does not affect the squeal. RPM does. But your comment has me wondering if air got trapped when I disconnected everything to put the new engine in. I'll try what you said to remove any air.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

You'll typically want to jack the front end off the ground and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock four or five times to "burp it" (purge the air out of it). Is this the bendix pump or the saginaw pump?

http://www.fordification.com/tech/PDF/F ... gnosis.pdf
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
ButtaBean

Post by ButtaBean »

Might want to check for a loose, old or oily belt.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Watch the belt while someone else turns the wheel. If the belt shakes or chatters is isn't tight enough. If it's noisy hit it with some WD-40 or similar to see if it quiets down. Use a couple 12" rulers to check alignment. No offset and minimal angularity gives long belt life. Any questions, google it for a better description.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

Thank you all for your input. It ended up being the belts. When I put the rebuilt engine in, I replaced both belts with belts from Autozone (figured I might as well get new ones). They are the type with notches or "teeth" in them. Luckily I kept the old belts. They are more solid/rigid and do not have the notches. Maybe more importantly, they each seem a little wider than the new ones. Anyway, I slapped them back on and low and behold no squeal! So, now I will try to get exact replacements.
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

As a follow up, I have a few questions.

1) Are all the new v-belts the notched style?
2) Do v-belts come in different widths?

The new ones that squealed were the sizes the Autzone computer said would fit. They were correct length, but a little narrow as I mentioned.

Thanks again guys. Really appreciate the info and this site.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I went to NAPA to get my P/S belt because none of the stores like Advance, Auto Zone, or O'Reillys had the right length or width belt for my '68 - when I get off work tonight I will find the belt number that I put on mine and post it for you........it cost a little more but was a perfect fit......
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Cal2121"]As a follow up, I have a few questions.
1) Are all the new v-belts the notched style?
2) Do v-belts come in different widths?
The new ones that squealed were the sizes the Autzone computer said would fit. They were correct length, but a little narrow as I mentioned.
Thanks again guys. Really appreciate the info and this site.
From a retired 35+ year HVAC tech...40+ year Ford fanatic.
Yes they come in different widths, (but we typically only see this in the HVAC trade-not in the automotive trade).
HVAC belt sizes are usually 4L (1/2" wide) / 5L (5/8" wide).
Automotive belts on our bump era trucks as far as I know have always been 1/2" wide belts with few exceptions.
I'd seen dent era belt sizes for smog pumps smaller thAN 1/2" before.
Buy a Gatorback once you have the correct size, (use the autozone belts for sizing) and walk away from a belt for 10 years if not left to dry rot. :wink:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/pro ... tine-belts
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

Thank you for the input fellas. I'll get some replacements that will work. The old ones aren't in bad shape, but I like having an extra set just in case.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Here's the belt I used....hope this helps....... :D

IMG_20171219_122458_hdr_kindlephoto-187445925.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

Thank you. I think I'll take my old belts into Napa and get replacements that will work.
OldRanger68

Post by OldRanger68 »

My 68 Ranger 360 (maybe a rebuilt 390) has power steering and no A/C. All of the catalogs want the belt size to be 1/2 width however my sheaves are designed for 13/32 belt width (about10mm) My gen/fan belt is also 13/32 width. This is a single belt system with one belt for p/s and one for fan/gen. Were differently sized sheaves used on different models or acc. packages? No one seems to make belts for my truck anymore. Anybody got any ideas on how to remedy this? Going into the future I hope to need to replace these belts several times. I discovered the problem with sticky steering wasn't with kingpins or bad steering gear but with a 1/2" belt that just quit turning the pump sometimes but never squeeled.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

Over time belt pulleys actually wear out, especially since our trucks are 50 years old. I've had to replace pulleys to get belt squeal to stop.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.