Thoughts on Shop Work

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

cougswan

Thoughts on Shop Work

Post by cougswan »

I have a 1970 3/4 ton with a 390 that I inherited from my grandfather after he passed away a few years ago. It not been driven since the late 90's and I have been slowly working on it. Last summer I tore the engine down to the block, but since that point it has been sitting under a truck cover. I haven't had time to do anything more with it and I don't think I will in the near future. I was thinking about dropping it off tn an independent shop to get someone to get it up to a point where it was running and I could do the rest. Anyone have any experience doing this and have any lessons learned or tips? (PS If anyone is located in Eastern Washington and would be interested in doing the work let me know. I am in Pullman)
1970 Ford F250 390
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Thoughts on Shop Work

Post by Bill Ramsey »

I would get the engine rebuilt and do the rest myself. Shops these days can't do anything right the first time.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.
Ranchero50

Re: Thoughts on Shop Work

Post by Ranchero50 »

Agree. Gather the parts yourself, assess them and go from there. At the very worst I'd purchase a long block and decent aluminum heads to assemble an engine myself.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.