Hot Rod Power Tour

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

WarEagle

Hot Rod Power Tour

Post by WarEagle »

Hey all,

I know most of our trucks aren't 'hot rods', but I am thinking of doing this years' Power Tour, June 9 - 15, or at least part of it. Probably will pick it up in Birmingham and do the rest.

Anyone else interested?

http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour
1972 F100 300 cid straight 6
2009 F150 4.6L Super Crew
RottenAppleRed

Re: Hot Rod Power Tour

Post by RottenAppleRed »

I've got some buddies that do it. One is a twin supercharged '71 Z28 called "Under Pressure" owned by Jay Mielke of Mielke Way Coatings...a hydrodipping and powder coating shop here in Anderson, IN. I'm about to squeak out some more ponies from his heads. I'd love to take Rotten Apple Red ('72 LWB), but I can't get away from work between March and October with one exception...James Dean and Ducktail Run.
WarEagle

Post by WarEagle »

RottenAppleRed wrote:I've got some buddies that do it. One is a twin supercharged '71 Z28 called "Under Pressure" owned by Jay Mielke of Mielke Way Coatings...a hydrodipping and powder coating shop here in Anderson, IN. I'm about to squeak out some more ponies from his heads. I'd love to take Rotten Apple Red ('72 LWB), but I can't get away from work between March and October with one exception...James Dean and Ducktail Run.
Ummmmm, James Dean does all the power tours and fun runs. You just have to be there to 'feel his presence'. :lol:
1972 F100 300 cid straight 6
2009 F150 4.6L Super Crew
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

WarEagle wrote:
RottenAppleRed wrote:I've got some buddies that do it. One is a twin supercharged '71 Z28 called "Under Pressure" owned by Jay Mielke of Mielke Way Coatings...a hydrodipping and powder coating shop here in Anderson, IN. I'm about to squeak out some more ponies from his heads. I'd love to take Rotten Apple Red ('72 LWB), but I can't get away from work between March and October with one exception...James Dean and Ducktail Run.
Ummmmm, James Dean does all the power tours and fun runs. You just have to be there to 'feel his presence'. :lol:
Well I can assure you that I don't go to the James Dean Run because of who it's named after. Never understood the glamour of JD. I'd love to enjoy lots more car shows, but gym floors don't design and paint themselves.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Anyone confirmed going to the Atlanta (Hampton) stop. ?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Not confirmed, but I'd definitely like to go if I can get away from work. I'd like to see the car show portion, but I'm hoping that some vendors might have special pricing on some items for the tour. I know its a long shot, but kinda hoping Holley may have a sale on the Sniper EFI units.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Cool, I’m scrambling to replace an intake gasket and am planning to head over unless it is miserable weather...
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

OK, I bought a ticket so the pressure is on to get it done... :D
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

And we need to organize a contingent to do the “Long Haul” next year!!!
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I’m planning to be at Hampton GA (Atlanta Motor Speedway)

Look for the old rusty blue truck and the guy in a red Ford Trucks t shirt - probably working on the old rusty blue Ford truck... :lol:
Robert

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Yeah, work isn't going to give me the opportunity to go. Looked like it might be possible last week, but someone got off their ass and finally got us the parts we need to get production flowing again.

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but if you happen to wander by any Holley vendors let me know what their Sniper EFI pricing is. Wandering if they run any kind of show specials.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I will watch out. I think Edelbrock and FiTech are both sponsors, so not sure how prevalent Holley will be. Watch this space... :D
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Giving one away but no discounts
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The best part of this was the drive over and the parking lot. Edelbrock, Chevrolet, Petty Garage and Prestone had big trailers (there were a couple others) Holley was working out of a rented sprinter and had limited displays I think they were tired of people asking for dDiscounts or sSomething because he wasn’t rude but he wasn’t exactly gracious either when I asked. DakotaDigital was there but no dash for our trucks on display. American Powertrain and Silver State Shifters were there.

No camshaft vendors I saw, no air conditioning vendors.

You want to Swap An LS or to a lesser extent Hemi or Coyote this is the place For you.

All of The attendees were very friendly . On couple rolled the window down at a stop light and said “Come go to Hot Rod with us” I was like headed that way! Another guy in O’reilly’ parking ng lot when I was messing with the throttle linkage wanted to make sure I didn’t need anything! Good people IMO

I had to pay for a couple of dyno runs so understand “access to” is code for “but you’ll pay”.

I saw 2 other bumps both with ga plates, a red 71 or 72 short bed Ranger XLT which I think belongs to one of the car club volunteers working the show and a tan and white 68 Ranger with the tag “Joes 68” I didn’t get a chance to talk to either one.
Robert

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Thanks for checking. Not too surprised by the limited vendors or lack of special pricing. It is billed as a rolling car show, not a swap meet. I think there were some specials when I went down to Moultrie earlier this year, but not enough of a discount to bother going back. Now I know not to bother holding off for future car show, and just order one when I get to that point.

Everything I've read it sounds like a great time. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be able to make a long haul, probably be in the little ranger though if I ever get it finished.
You want to Swap An LS or to a lesser extent Hemi or Coyote this is the place For you.

That's why I dropped my subscription to Hot Rod. Too much focus on new engines, tech, cars, and high dollar builds. They also got to focusing too much on certain engines and forgetting about the other stuff out there. Maybe they've run out of stuff to print on old school hot rods and engines, but that's what I liked reading. Still well written and a lot of good info, but not what I was looking for in Hot Rod Magazine.