1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 7/9 rubicon

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 7/9 rubicon

Post by 1971ford »

I recently got a 1969 F-100 Ranger with 63,500 original miles and very little rust for $400.00 plus 350 worth of work 8) . For the story on how i got it see this link http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 52&start=0
It is away from the rain in a Pvc shelter i built. see this link for details
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 0&start=30
I looked it over pretty good and there is very very little rust, after market Heater/AC (says heat works but AC may need to be racharged to work),
has electrical issues (dome light, and dash do not light up and its not the bulbs), it has a maaco paint job wich does not match interior, my dad noticed it has a exhaust leak, it needs a new trans seal, neads valve gasket, front end work and a good cleaning.

plans- I want to try to make this truck LOOK like show condition but not replace every single thing to get to show condition. I am going to repaint it its original colors which are sky view blue with wimbolden(spelt wrong i know) white. The interior is sky view blue with very few chips except for the inside of the drivers door which i will repaint (it has been repainted before, i can tell). I am going to swap the Chevy seat out with a Ford seat, and swap the chevy bumper for a nice bumper that actually fits.
I want to make this truck fast (not crazy fast or engine replace), but still look original.

today i only got to taking off the steering wheel coverS and found a nice steering wheel underneath. Im going to pull it off, fix the horn, and paint the steering wheel.

I will not be spending much money on this truck YET since ive got the 71 project half done. but for now i am doing cleaning, interior (just the drivers door) painting, door panel painting, and fixing problems.

oh and the truck is on Non-op so i can take it apart and not have to stress about getting it back together in time for a driving test or something.
8)
Last edited by 1971ford on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:29 am, edited 108 times in total.
-Ryan
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: 69 F100 Ranger(lots of pics) project

Post by basketcase0302 »

Good job Ryan!

I like that color of Blue! (Hoping if i ever to get to re-paint my one ton it's that color).

Basketcase/Jeff
Last edited by basketcase0302 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

update
ive started stripping the interior. I started just taking out the glove box, ash tray, and radio to get to the dash bolts, but then i got carried away.
I havent gotten the heater/ac, the cluster, heater contols, and some other stuff out yet.
i found out that the holes in the middle of the dash were to let the original speaker sound come through and that the original speaker was mounted there. im going to put in the original radio and hook it up to the original speaker, and have a hidden aftermarket radio somewhere else.

the brackets for the original radio are just bent to the side :woohoo:
headliner
sound deadening?
the passenger door vent window is twisted and wont close.
most of the parts removed
Last edited by 1971ford on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Ryan
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Looks like a great deal for a good condition truck.
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

Looks like you found a nice one Ryan. :thup: Fix the small stuff and drive it. :D
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

well it needs brake work, front end work, a new trans. seal, valve gasket, brake light, reverse lights fixed, gas tank cleaned, interior wiring work, exhaust leak but ive driven it and it was great!
its on non op though and im not going to take it off non op until all those things are fixed and when the truck is all put back together. ive got the 71 to drive until then. once the 69 is off non-op, i may be driving it to high school. I cant wait
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

small update:
my dad got a steering wheel puller and we pulled the steering wheel.
note to self:

the 8$ steering wheel at kragen doesnt fit my wheel very well.
the bolts are weak.
slightly turn horn ring to left before removal.

i will be needing a new tab piece for my steering wheel. 5.00 at LMC.
but we did get it off :)
now im going to put something in the cracks, sand it all, and paint.
while the wheel is off i need to find out what is wrong with my horn. and the turn indicator peace in there has a broken end. done know if that is important or not. its just the very end of it.
-Ryan
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

The broken part of the turn signal switch is what cancels ( turns off) the signal after you turn the other way.I did see a kit to repair this problem in ( I think) the NPD catalog.If not try LMC or Mac's.The other options are replacing the switch or remembering to cancel the signal after you turn.

The left side of my 72 has this problem and my hearing isn't what it once was.My daughter reminds me to shut it off with a sarcastic " DAD, turn signal" :lol:

I'd suggest an epoxy such as J B Weld to repair the cracks in the steering wheel.It's pretty easy to work with and holds up well. :)
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

in LMC, there is a blinker piece witch is broken for 13.00.
weve got some jb weld. i may try that.
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

little update:
I layed down some free mats in the garage. do you like the creativity in the mats 8) . i got the seat taken out and next to go is the gas tank for a good cleaning after sitting 15 years. i got some good pictures of the chassis of the truck since i have those nifty mats to roll around on (when they get dirt i just have to throw them away and get more free ones 8) ).

emptyness
i found this behind the seat :eek: im rich!
welded gas tank. soon to be removed for cleaning
old seat makes for great chair after hard work 8)
mats :D
showing off my rust free chassis 8)
floor pans no rust. (dark stuff is grease)
in the cab floor pan
pretty little swirlies. (glue to hold up insulator stuff)
Last edited by 1971ford on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

BUMP.. side

i bumped it because i completly changed a reply i made about paint into the one reply i just made before this. so heres a little BUMP
-Ryan
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: 69 F100 Ranger project(many new pics 11/18)

Post by FORDification »

Hey, when you get that in-cab tank out, take a whole bunch of pictures of that! I've never seen one like that before....that thing is BIG! :eek: At first it just looked like a homemade cover over the stock tank, but now it appears as if that's actually the tank? See if you can find any markings or manufacturer's info stamped on it...I'd be very curious about it's origins.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

it is a actuall tank not a cover. 15 years ago when the truck began to sit, there was no gas cap so the tank rusted out. so the PO (owner of a welding shop) took out the stock tank, got some measurements (must of took advantage and made a bigger tank) and welded a new tank. it is nicely done. i can still get lots of pictures if you would like :)
-Ryan
TheEskimo
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TheEskimo »

Wow, that is an interesting tank. Looks like it is all going well for ya Ryan. Now about those mats, what did ya do? Run around in the middle of the night and hit all the McD's and dealerships that left their mats out. LOL!!! (J/K)
-Jason
1972 F250 Camper Special 360ci
1973 F100 Custom 390ci
1985 Thinderbird 302ci (DD)
1971fordsdad

Post by 1971fordsdad »

TheEskimo wrote:Wow, that is an interesting tank. Looks like it is all going well for ya Ryan. Now about those mats, what did ya do? Run around in the middle of the night and hit all the McD's and dealerships that left their mats out. LOL!!! (J/K)
I work for a company that gets mats from uniform companies that are done renting them out and resells them as "recycled". The mats that Ryan got are some that we cannot resell since they have trademarked logos on them. I took him to my warehouse, grabbed a pallet of mats with the forklift and he slid a bunch of them off into the back of his '71. Normally we have to throw these out but I have my people keep some of the best ones for me.