Fordmans 71 4wd woods truck

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Fordmans 71 4wd woods truck

Post by ezernut9mm »

man, that sucks craig.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i need to talk to the guy who sold me this truck. he had a heck of a sales pitch.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

one more day before we pull it out. we have a few ideas on what to do before we call it quits on this enigne. the first thing is we are going to get the exhaust dount sealed up properly. so we can hear 100% if there is still a knock in the engine. the grinding noise we are hearing during cranking could be a bad starter drive. i had that idea today. it is a automatic starter on a manaul transmission truck. so maybe it doesn't match up properly or something like that. so i will also do a starter swap and see if theat noise goes away. then if everything looks good i will go ahead and repalce the timing chain so it will run better. just in case today i did strip down the non used accoriess off of the other good enigne i have in the garage today. the impact through a socket into my lip. good thing it didnt hit me very hard i would have been mad.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

well i went the other direction today. i put a timing chain in the old enigne first before i called it quits. i had a good used timing chain and all the gaskets so it didnt cost me anything to do it. i am thinking i may have to do something more to the engine. but i may be able to save it. i think my noises are the wrong starter and or maybe a bad lifter.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i didnt do anything today. i woke up later than i wanted to. i started the truck. let it warm up. then drove it to the farm with no problems. other thani think i may have the teeth set wrong ont he used timing chain. i think its off by one tooth. but no rod knocking happened and it didnt explode on the trip. i figured if it was going to explode this was the one way to find out if something was wrong or not. i do have good news. the exhaust manifold botls on top all turn free enough to remove them without breaking off the botls in the head. hooray. i have never ran onto this around here.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i neeed to get back to this. the truck is doing its job again tomorrow. maybe i might have time to work on it later in the week. i have another car and another truck that really need fixing first.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it was kind of slick out in the mud today . i almost got stuck again. i backed up and ran into a small tree. i cut the tree down after this happened. the tailgate was rusted out badly. so that is why it made so much damage to it. i had the truck loaded and couldn't put the tailgate up. i have another old rusty tailgate i can put back on it. does anyone want this one to fix up? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

Ehh just drive over it and straighten it up enough to close ;) lol adds character.
Darlin 69 Ranger 390 4v, PS, DS II, disc front, 3G alternator, 67 mirror.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i could probably straighten it. but niether latch will reach anymore. i already tried that.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

something kind of funny. i made my wife drive it. i got her to back it up and pull it forward a couple of times. and she still had trouble reaching the clutch pedal. she told me there was no way she would ever drive it because of that. i told her to move the seat forward. i guess she was proud of driving it too. she even bragged to her mom that she drove it. my wife is kind of short. and pretty small for a short woman.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by BiggDogg »

fordman wrote:it was kind of slick out in the mud today . i almost got stuck again. i backed up and ran into a small tree. i cut the tree down after this happened. the tailgate was rusted out badly. so that is why it made so much damage to it. i had the truck loaded and couldn't put the tailgate up. i have another old rusty tailgate i can ptu back on it. does anyone want this one to fix up? :lol:
:lol: :lolprev: Way to show that tree for messing with your truck :evil: :lolprev:
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

its a good thing i cut that tree down to. because my brother in law was being pulled through there and when his truck got pulled through there he went right over the center of where that tree used to be at. it was too narrow through there anyway.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

put the new old rusted tailgate on it today. and put in the nss bypass switch from the old wiring harness. i got rid of that dangling wire that ground out under the clutch pedal from the old automatic column that was in that cab. i didnt bother taking any pics of a blue colored tailgate that had been repainted copper color. and had rust holes in it.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bb429power
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by bb429power »

:loco: Really? Don't you have a dang mirror? Ouch that looks bad, it'll probably just buff right out. best of luck to you, looks like your gonna need it. :lol: But with all seriousness, good luck. :wink:
Justin
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=47482
http://s976.photobucket.com/home/bb429power/allalbums go to both of the albums.
1967 Ford F100 longbed with a 466 500+hp/600+ft-lbs (mine)
1969 Mercury Cougar xr7 with a 351w (dads, I helped alot)
1970 Ford Maverick with a 302 (became our drag car)
1986 f150 5.0 (my DD)
"Many can argue, but it takes a real man to apologize."-Me
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i have a mirror i just havent put it on. i need to though. i want to remove the camper mirros and put west coast jrs on it. i have a set but i havent had time to work on this truck as it doesnt sit here. it will be coming home soon though. i have a lot i stil want to do to it.