Fordmans 71 4wd woods truck

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Fordmans 71 4wd woods truck

Post by fordman »

Double work dont you just love doing it? i put the starter on before i put the passenger exhaust pipe in. so i will have to remove the starter i put on tonight. and jack the engine up a little to clear the bellhousing. and put the exhaust pipe up in there. here is a list of what i did get done tonight.

clutch engine bracket and z bar assembly as well as the clutch fork rod and spring. the clutch fork came off the same engine the clutch disc and pressure plate did so i didnt even have to adjust it. not for now anyway.
i also put the starter on. it may have to come back off. because i keep forgetting to put the exhaust pipe in.
i then moved on and replaced the mashed passenger valve cover. that got mashed when the enigne fell off of the cheery picker. i aslo put the engine wiring harness back on the engine. i found out that i forgot to put the correct power steering bracket on it. it had the wrong one on there to begin with. it had the 68-70 style and this truck is getting setup for factory a/c. i also got the brass nuts for the exhaust manifolds. they are 7/16 fine thread if anyone asks. and i finally remembered to change outthe windshield wiper arms and get rid of those junk aftermarket wiper blade brackets. its getting closer. it may be driveable by monday.
Last edited by fordman on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

some recent pics of what i have done lately. the ft valve cover and the new bushings in the stabilzer bar on the front axle.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

another day another waste of time. i got the passenger side exhaust up in past the bellhouisng and frame. then i couldnt get the motor mount back into place. that tooks some time. i then tried to put the drivers side pipe on and relized that it wouldn't fit because it was from a 2wd truck. so the pipe hit the oil pan. i did get the bracket for the power steering pump swapped. that was a breeze. but i am still stuck on the bad bolt hole for the a/c and power steering bracket stud. i am going to check around and see what i can find or do in the morning before work. i have never had so much go wrong with putting a truck together.
Last edited by fordman on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i also got the alternator and wiring on it and the belt. oh boy.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i got a picture of the power steering box that is suppose to be used on these trucks with power steering. i can get it for a good price but i may be able to get it for a better price elsewhere. yes sir. i will be finished soon. too bad i didnt have the room or time to paint everything and do a bunch of rust repair work. ignore the rag joint. i dont have the proper steering linkage for that. well i do but its rusted together. i am soaking it. i have been for weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fordman on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Despite the snags it looks like you're moving right along with it Fordman! :thup:
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

so that is what the proper box is supposed to look like. i wonder why that truck had the other box in it? lots of stupid stuff going on with it for sure.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yea i wont have to cut the fender well out like they had it before.
Last edited by fordman on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

well long time no parts. or ways to figure out how to fix this. but today i went out there and just started doing stuff right or wrong i got some stuff done.
in this first picture is the hoses to the power steering pump. i have been trying to figure out how to route them since this truck has a 2wd box on it. here you can see the one hose bent around into place to go under the inner fender.

since the hose rubbed the bottom of the inner fender. like it was. i didnt know exactly how this was going to work.

Since the steering box was also pushing the inner fender out of alignment and the hose would rub i cut it off.

once i cut it off i was able to get the first hose to clear very well. but the second hose wanted to rub a slight bit on the rough cut of the bottom of the inner fender. so i had some of that coiled edge protecter for metal edges i put onto the bottom edge of the inner fender. i also had to use the incorrect power steering cooler on this truck to make the hoses reach but i had to bolt the cooler on at an angle rather than straight up and down to make sure the hoses would reach and the a/c compressor would clear properly.

something you may not be able to tell is the 2wd steering box still pushes the inner fender inward a bit. but i am hoping that once i get the inner fender botled down to the core support that it will be ok for awhile. I do have my eye on a 4wd power steering box. but i dont have the correct steering extension rod to make it hook up yet. just as well i dont have all the parts for this extension rod to be used either. i am considering some bailing wire to hold the washer in. since i cant find the correct piece to hold the washer inside of the socket.

any ideas would help.
Last edited by fordman on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

this evening monday evening. we put the passenger inner fender both front fenders hood and upper valance back on the truck. we left all of the bolts loose so that i could adjust it all in the morning. right now everything is pretty out of wack. but its not too bad. i also was checking on grilles that i have and which one i was going to use. i have five grilles for this truck. I am not even sure where they came from. not all of them anyway. i also got the solenoid and most of the passenger fender wiring hooked up. but i think i will have to redo the alt harness. i got it twisted and it want to pull towards the engine instead of lay against the fender. the truck is starting to finally look like something now. i am feeling better about it. but it still needs lots of work. rust is a big problem the front axle is going to need rebuilt. i still have to put the radius arm bushing on it. as well as the driveshaft. and i lost the needles out of one of the bearing cups so i have to either use a different bearing cup or another u joint out of another shaft. and i am still stuck on the intermediate steering shaft parts. but the junkyard opens at 8 so i will see what i can find. i am also now in the position that i will also be thinking about what kind of front bumper i want on it. and how i want to make my own grille inserts. i want something custon and something no one has ever thought of doing with these truck grilles. what abotu the girls you see on mud flaps. one in each side fo the 71 grille? i will post pics in the morning. when i do my ebay picture taking.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

of course this day was full of stupid. i was able to make it to the yard and get the clips i needed for the steering shaft. but now i have to be able to put it on. and since the inner fenders and fenders are on that means i have to remove the shaft to put the clip in place. thanks to 70_f100 and knightfire for telling me about where to get this clip. i did get two of them if anybody wants the second one. i am using the one on the right in this picture. Image
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

here are some pics of the truck as it sits today. tomorrow i can finally get the out of state vin inspection done.i havent done any rust repair or painting to this truck. i just dont have the time materials or tools here to do any of that. but it can be done later on next summer when i will have more time. these pictures came out dark becuase the sky looked like rain. it was acutally lighter outside than these pictures came out as.

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

here are some better pictures and a picture of how the inner fender is riding up against the power steering gear. i am going to wait to cut it out. because i can get a different 4wd power steering box. but i dont have the steering extension arm for that box though.

Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

well the snow has been melting like crazy today. as well as some yesterday. so i went out to the truck and put the new dome light wire in it. and the instrument cluster. i hope it was the right one. tomorrom oil gas water and the radiator. then we drive it for the first time.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

cool deal craig. i might try to come down on sat. you gonna be around?
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage