Here is my project that started out as anything but a project.....It's going to start off as a long story, but if I'm going to tell the tale behind my project, might as well lay it all out. So skip past the BS if you want and get to the pics
I have a '07 Mustang, partial daily driver, that I've done some modifications to the biggest of which is the Whipple blower. It's putting out enough power that I've been told it isn't a matter of if
it'll blow up but when. Since it was, at the time, my primary vehicle I couldn't forge the engine to keep it safer than what it is now. My solution was getting a bump. My requirements for the bump was
3) Power Steering
4) Power Disc Brakes
Since 3-5 weren't standard options, I knew it'd be lucky if I got all three. The main reason was that, again at the time, I lived 5 miles from work, mileage didn't bother me and if it was reliable enough I could use it as my daily driver while I built the Mustang's engine.
I found my bump in Oregon from the 1st owner's grandson. It's all original and has all of my requirements of what I was looking for. According to the guy it ran well and didn't have any major problems even if the motor was tired. The plan was set and I would get my bump, drive it daily and build up the Mustang's engine.
Reality set in when it arrived on the truck from Oregon. The first problem was it wasn't white. All of the pics, crappy cell pics I guess, made the truck look white or off-white. It's tan, beige, light brown... whatever. A grandpa's color. Very bland I thought.
pic I was sent
On the truck
It's not white...
But it's something I can work with
When it came time to fire it up it literally had a fountain of gas from the carb under start conditions and throttle..... Took me forever to figure it out, but before I did I spent $$$ in a starter, battery, fuel pump, new Holley 2bbl and other misc items including a tailgate and a drivers mirror that was shattered. Still no matter what I did it would not run. After trying to beat it up to get it to run right, you know run it hard blow out any carbon, dust, years of going no more than 30mph, it ended up running worse. Turns out several valves were sticking open and to make matters worse it would NOT go faster than 45. I knew something was wrong. working over the engine to get it to run half decent took some hammering skills, lots of sea foam and marvel mystery oil and replacing all the u-joints and balancing the drive shaft. It finally started to run decently but was WAY down on power, didn't want to run cold and had several exhaust leaks.
Not being the brightest tool in the shed it eventually dawned on me that the bump was the project and not the Mustang
Fast forward about 6 months and I ended up getting engaged, married and moving 30 miles from work and since these things took precedence I had to sell my bump.
Two years later and my good friend in VA (I'm in SoCal) and leaving the truck in my driveway while he compiles the engine parts to complete the motor ended up being he wasn't putting any serious effort into finishing the truck or getting the engine rebuilt. Having come into a little cash I bought ol' Bertha back and finally, finally, finally am going to get a motor into the truck in the next month or so. My bump became a truck that completely frustrated me and having no feelings for it when I sold it to something that I am very glad I was able to rescue it back from the dead so-to-speak.
More pics will be posted later. Wanted to get the story down first.
As I get parts, disassemble, re-assemble and build I'll post 'em here. It's been awhile since I've worked on an old car and although I took forever this will be fun.
Thanks for letting me ramble.