Hackster's 1968 f100 CV Swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

my79f

Re: Hackster's 1968 f100 CV Swap

Post by my79f »

Every time i get on here, i always check out this truck. Even if there are no new posts. Simply awesome.

In other news, I have long thought a wimbledon white truck with king ranch brown seats, dashpad, and door panels would look fantastic.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

my79f wrote:Every time i get on here, i always check out this truck. Even if there are no new posts. Simply awesome.

In other news, I have long thought a wimbledon white truck with king ranch brown seats, dashpad, and door panels would look fantastic.
That is exactly what I am shooting for....like Exactly. I think it would look incredible as well.

On a side note,

Got the truck out to a couple of good cruises the past few weekends. It was pretty fun, truck gets lots of looks when I pop the hood.

Ron came over today and we made another half dozen or so changes to the tune. It is running better and better each time. Peaked at 10lbs of boost, we got almost all of the knock out and are making progress on the boost side of things. Driveability stuff is pretty much nailed at this point. It is running in closed loop mode and very nicely as well.

Truck is fast, even just like this its fast. Makes boost at 2400 RPM and just keeps climbing. We were not able to make and great high rpm passes as it just gets too fast for city even freeway boost pulls.

Ron has learned a ton on this stuff and is doing such an excellent job. I really cannot thank him enough at this point

I do need to install a blow off valve though, we stopped tuning for today until I get one.

Thanks again Ron, truck is getting fun to drive now =)

Sean
Randle

Post by Randle »

I would like to say congratulations on making the cover of Classic Truck. Well Done. :rock:
guhfluh
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by guhfluh »

Yep, I got my magazine in last night and told my wife, "I know that truck!"

I love everything so far! I'd love to see some videos too! ;)
'67 F-250 Crew 2wd 300ci, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
'96 Dodge Ram ECLB CTD
'99 Dodge Neon ACR 2dr - 10.64@130 (Sold)
'05 Infinity G35 Sedan
trick

Post by trick »

:woohoo: Got mine today. Congrats go to you. Lol... And some people say no Chevy in a Ford. Who is laughing now.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Thanks a ton guys.....I did not even know about it until about a week ago or so. We actually found it yesterday on the magazine rack, pretty cool.

On a side note, just been driving the **** out of the truck the last few months, not working on it much other than some additional tuning with Ron.

Looking to start on the interior fairly soon but it might have to wait until the fall when this awesome weather lets up.

Sean
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Stopped by BAM yesterday to see your truck in the mag. Very cool!!!

Barry
F100biohazard

Post by F100biohazard »

Great job. I have a 68 and I am doing the CV IFS swap with an 08 Crwn vic. I am putting the whole power train from the vic in it.
I am cutting the rear frame off and grafting the vic rear frame on. It feels crazy and boarder line dumb. I am a man so, it's likely. I'm doing it anyway.
It's gonna get me the four link rear end with the watts link setup disc brakes and c notch for bags later.
gotta narrow it from 58.75" to to 34".
Anyhow. Your work looks so clean. Engine mounts came out great.
Looking good. I am interested in the details of the steering column.
BossGB385

Post by BossGB385 »

Randle wrote:I would like to say congratulations on making the cover of Classic Truck. Well Done. :rock:
Wow just realized this! Congrats man, I admit though, when I initially saw the description "breaking blue oval history" I got a little sick on my stomach. :wink: awesome truck though, congrats again, sweet ride!
BossGB385

Post by BossGB385 »

BossGB385 wrote:
Randle wrote:I would like to say congratulations on making the cover of Classic Truck. Well Done. :rock:
Wow just realized this! Congrats man, I admit though, when I initially saw the description "breaking blue oval tradition" I got a little sick on my stomach. :wink: awesome truck though, congrats again, sweet ride!
tripped38

Post by tripped38 »

Amazing work. Please keep this updated with progress!
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

Very clean truck! Amazing work from start to finish! Love everything about it. Im building a 72 with a S/C 5.4 and was thinking to go with a similar paint. I haven't figured out what to do on the bumpers and grill but yours has me convinced! Congrats!
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

hackster wrote:Made a little progress on the truck the past few days.

Ordered in a weld on sump from Summit and it showed up a lot bigger than I imagined. Trimmed it down and rebent all the flanges to fit the back of the 70 mustang tank. Took it over to a buddies shop and got the tig machine out and welded it all up. Put the tank on a water test and all checked out ok. Need to order a sender for it.

So I got busy, self etch then some high build, got the tank pretty flat and shot on some single stage gloss black. Turned out descent enough for a gas tank hanging out under the back of this truck.

Rear brakes also showed up, Wilwood dynalite pro setup with the two piece rotors.

Assembled those with some help again from Asher, he did all the safety wire on the two piece hats while I put the rest together.

We bolted those onto the fully painted and assembled rearend.

Pretty happy with how the rearend turned out. Also got some shocks on the rear, s10 something or others, but they should do just fine.

Assembled the master cylinder, booster and powdercoated brackets and got to work on plumbing all the brakes. Had a couple of wrong fittings but all in all I think it turned out nice. Here a couple shots of the whole mess on the firewall.

Really happy with the lines we ran. They all look great and are tucked up and out of the way. Master cylinder is painted with a coat of rustoleum hammered gray. I like the look of the raw master but know it would rust. This is the closest thing I have found to keeping it looking cast.

Not really worth pics but the front suspension all got pulled back off, front framerails all wire wheeled down to bare metal and metal etch primed, primered and shot with the same alk200 I shot the rear frame with.

Front brakes all got cleaned up, painted and installed along with new rotors.....Not wilwoods but 12.5" brakes look big on an old ford pickup.

Front sheetmetal is all pulled apart and bumper got straightened out and ready to head out to powdercoat along with the grille and headlight bezel.

The first rust I have found is on the inner fender underneath the battery tray. Need to do a little patch work on that. Should be good work for this week.

For those that have done this swap before, has anyone dealt with the steering column like I have? DO I need to get a different column?

I gotta figure out the steering situation the next few days.

Sean

Sean- Is this the original master and brake boost from your truck? Did you use the stock distribution block? The small one on the frame under the column? Also, your fuel tank, Is it the 20 Gallon 1970 tank?

Thanks
Devin
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Hey there.... Truck is actually the factory color, whimbledon white number 2.

As far as the brake setup, it is from a 78 or 79 disc brake truck. I tore apart the stock pedal assembly and adapted the early pedal assembly to the later master and booster, it took a little bit of messing around but the truck stops extremely well. I will probably do something similar in the new truck.

Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Fuel tank is the 20 gallon tank from a 70. I just ordered a second one from Amazon, think it was like $100.00

Sean