Hackster's 1968 f100 CV Swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Hackster's 1968 f100 CV Swap

Post by hackster »

It really depends on what wheel you are wanting to go with. There are some late model mustang wheels that will fit for sure. I had 9" on the front before from an 03 cobra and they were an excellent fit. You will have no issue finding a wheel that will fit the front, just not sure of the style or price range you are looking for.

Rushforth makes an amazing wheel, they take a little time but Jason was great to work with. They are not the cheapest wheel out there.

If you are on more of a budget, look at American Muscle and look at their 18 and 20" stuff, there are several wheels on there that will work well. I was doing a bunch of research a few weeks ago on there for some track wheels, I will see what I can dig up.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Managed a little seat time this past weekend and got the brakes bedded in.

Took the truck to this local sunday night cruise in called Red Door Meet. It is mostly imports,some european cars and a few muscle cars. I have never been before.

The turnout was crazy. I was impressed as there were hundreds of cars there, all parked on either side of the road angled in. Everything from other muscle cars and pro touring rides to bikes, beemers and other cool cars.

Truck got a ton of compliments and looks from lots of people. All in all something I thought was not going to be that fantastic, turned out to be a really fun night.....I just love cars.

Now that the show is done, I want to get back on the tuning in the next month or so and get out to some events to see how the truck performs.

Ill keep updating this as time goes on.

Sean

Actually driving around.....at the store picking up groceries for the wife last night.

Bigfreeb

Post by Bigfreeb »

Hey Sean does the power steering work like it is supposed to? I have read that the EVO valve gives some people (not everyone) problems with not very much power steering at slow or standing still. Thanks Shawn
1968 F100 Ranger 360 soon to have CV swap
1969 F250 Ranger 360 2 owner Dad and me
2001 Exploder Sport Trac
2005 F250 King Ranch Crew cab S/B 6.0l
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

I have no issue with the power steering at all. Works like a brand new car. I am wondering it if is because of the GM pump?

Sean
Bigfreeb

Post by Bigfreeb »

Thanks Sean, I'm not sure what is causing the problems, I have just read some random posts around the web. I even found where a mechanic was having issues on an actual P/I that was hard to steer. I'm not even close to that phase just doing my homework right now. P.S your truck looks awesome i'm jealous!
Shawn
2001 Exploder Sport Trac
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/150 ... rated-not/

Nice write up on the truck.....the comments section is a little rough though.

Sean
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

You're catching hell on the FB page too.... I don't have an issue looking past the labels and acknowledging the quality of the build and the workmanship that went into it. Heck.. My 68 had a Olds 350 in it when I bought it! :lol:
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

I know....

Honestly its the first time I have ever wanted to take something off the internet just because it makes me feel like I did a poor job on the build.

People suck.

Thanks for the props though.

Sean
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

Don't let the keyboard warriors get you down, or make you question your choices. It's your ride, built your way. It looks good, betting it runs like a scalded ape, and stops on a dime with those big binders. I'd drive it like I stole it in a heartbeat.

Haters are going to hate. Tell em to bugger off and leave em in a cloud of tire smoke. :woohoo:

Bob
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
trick

Post by trick »

I would give them the evil laugh then say "do you have your truck in the Goodguys Gazette or in Hot Rod. No.., well I do" and show them a nice smoky two tire rub mark as you drive away. This is a truck with great creativity and ambition of someone's talent. :thup:
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

You saw it in the goodguys gazette???

Any chance you could share a pic of it with me?

Sean
trick

Post by trick »

Sorry :cry: , Don't have the issue close at hand. The semi I drive is in the shop for a full motor rebuild and I'm on the road in a back up truck. Its in the January 2015 issue showing your truck in the background. I could only make out the front half. Trick
Bigfreeb

Post by Bigfreeb »

Sean, don't let all the ass hats that have never built a nice rig get you down. I am a die hard ford guy but the quality of your work by far over shadows the name on the vehicle/motor combo. Keep up the good work!!
2001 Exploder Sport Trac
Uni Moe

Post by Uni Moe »

Hackster, I just read your build from start to finish. Man you've got some talent and energy. I'm not married to any one brand. You had a vision and you completed it. The only single criticism I have is with the front view of your truck and I've noticed this on other builds as well. When you paint the rad support the same as body color, especially lighter colors, it takes away from the appearance of the grill. The grill half disappears. It should be flat or semigloss black, at least the portion behind the grill opening. I saw a thread where a guy did a before and after pic when he went back and blacked out the rad support and it made a big difference. Just my opinion. NICE truck!
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Uni Moe wrote:Hackster, I just read your build from start to finish. Man you've got some talent and energy. I'm not married to any one brand. You had a vision and you completed it. The only single criticism I have is with the front view of your truck and I've noticed this on other builds as well. When you paint the rad support the same as body color, especially lighter colors, it takes away from the appearance of the grill. The grill half disappears. It should be flat or semigloss black, at least the portion behind the grill opening. I saw a thread where a guy did a before and after pic when he went back and blacked out the rad support and it made a big difference. Just my opinion. NICE truck!

Thanks Moe,

I see and have thought about what you are saying. The issue is that there is no good cut line to stop the black behind the grille and I am not going to paint the entire core support black, it would defeat a lot of what I was going for with the ultra clean engine bay. I might give it a shot if I ever pull off the grille for other work and see how it looks.

Drove the little truck around a bit this weekend, thinking about taking a few things to the next level in the next few months. I would like to build a set of new font fenders and stretch the wheel opening a bit as well as get a little more tire clearance for the fronts for if and when I need to lower it some more. Probably going to do a c notch in the rear and get it down a little more and redo the rear shocks at that time.

Looking at getting rid of the bench seat and doing a real interior in the truck, The bench is nice and bouncy but it lacks in holding power for keeping you in the seat in any kind of a turn. probably going to buckets and a center console and ditch the black theme for the inside. I want to do a double french stitch with Brown interior. I think it would go excellent with the cream doors and dash.

Sean