1971 f100 4.6 Mark viii CV-IFS FN-10/MN-12 IRS

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

redlinemotorsportts

1971 f100 4.6 Mark viii CV-IFS FN-10/MN-12 IRS

Post by redlinemotorsportts »

Howdy! Ive been apart of the forum for some time. Browse now and then. Introduced myself some time ago. Figured id whip up a thread! I bought a 1971 f-100 with a 360 FE bone stock truck. c6, 9" w/3.50's. The guy before me was going to flat bed it and something else redneck... Well, he gave up and i bought the truck.

I really didnt know what i wanted to do, but i pictured it being lowered, on nice rims.... Did some research, and vic suspension shouted... *BUY ME!* One half off junkyard day and $180 later..

Split these two up, the c6 got a front and rear seal, and new filter. old filter screen wasnt that bad lookin. painted pan and tube for good measure.

The fe however, got checked out, thought about putting 390 rotating assem. in it but firgured i should leave it alone. Cross hatching is great! Might have been bored over, the markings on the vally mean it must have been machined once from what some say. I plan on a comp thump cam, lifters, and timing chain kit. 4 barrel something or other 600-650cfm, headers.

Cab has rot! insted of goofing around with fabbing outside on the frame, we pulled it off and put it in the garage. GEEZ, easier said then done, i envy peoples two post lifts now. Made a little sub frame for it to sit on from 2x2".

Off with the bed! Calling it junk due to needing quarter on passenger, floor, bottom supports, and tailgate.

Cab time! Cut out the old floor pan from the replacement pan's tracing, and did a bunch of kick panel patching. Urg! Not quite done on the drives ATM.

And got these, 2012 mustang v6 preminum 18's for it. Traded some stuff for it. bad thing is the back spacing is a good amount, but im running adaptors on the IRS so that should space things good, and track damn good with how wide the front is.

Now... Getting up to date! I got this MN12 for $150, from a SC model. Bigger brakes. Trac lok 2L73's. The IRS will be a combination of the two. Aluminum 8.8 with 3.07's and lower control arms from a lincoln irs setup, and this one had coils, witch i thought they all had air bags, huh. Going to be putting the trac lok in the lincolns 8.8 and the arms on the subframe. The t-birds disk brakes are a good 1/4" wider ventilated then the stock lincoln disks, witch is a little odd, but better, me thinks.

Going to be making all my own mounts for this, seems pretty "easy". but i need two front mounts and cant find anything, ill try a dealer.

Welp! Lots of pictures, ooooo, ahhhh... Pictures from april to now so not exactly SEMA speed building... LOL, only 17 fab everything myself, workin with junkyard and CL parts. Enjoy!
Last edited by redlinemotorsportts on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'71 f100, 4.6 dohc, cab off, cv swap, IRS, and broke.
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1971 f100 FE 360 CV-IFS Thunder-Mark VIII IRS

Post by Calfdemon »

Pictures from any time are great!! Nice start to the build thread, now keep it going!! Love to watch it develop! :thup:
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
redlinemotorsportts

Thanks, i will for sure do that. Having trouble finding a box, its such a pain up in the north east. Searched far and wide, seems like they are non existent.
redlinemotorsportts

Well shucks. I was wondering how hard it is to swap in a mark viii 4.6 dohc. Trans cross member won't be hard, the wiring is. Do you pull all the wires you see from the hole car? Easy to cut out with a schematics book in hand? And good threads or videos? I've checked around and figured someone would know more then me.
Petewrench

Post by Petewrench »

If you are any good at reading Schematics, You can get a subscription to Alldata DIY http://www.alldatadiy.com Their Schematics are pretty accurate. You will want to remove any harness hooked to sensors on the Engine, Transmission, PCM, and you will need to use the Engine Bay Power Distribution Panel.

Good Luck! :fr:
Pete
"WARNING! Being Hit with The "Brick Of Life", is just a hint that you are about to be run over by the "Boulder Of Being"!"
:bdh: :hn: :rant: :wf: :drive:
1967 F-100 Base Long bed. 390 4Bbl, NP435 4Spd, Manual Steering, Manual Brakes, A/C. (BlueBeast).FOR SALE-NOT!
1967 F-350 C&C, 159"WB.(Donor Truck)
1967 Mercury Cougar Standard. 5.0 HO, RUG-E 4 Speed, Factory Triple Black, Console Car.(SOLD)
redlinemotorsportts

Thanks, it seems easy with schematics in hand. looking around still at it, definaly something to check out. Update when necessary...
redlinemotorsportts

Back from the grave, been busy with stuff, wish i had some money to order more stuff like always lol.

Patching the common area by the fuel switch.

Drivers pan from CHL (came with the truck) fits awesome. Tacked in and grinded down.

Removed heater and this is the passenger side. Not as bad.

Got a cheap pan and only gunna use half. Got a cab mount also.

Cant find two things to save my life.
1. The IRS sub frame front body mounts.
2. Short style side box within like 12 hours of me. Gah, probably shortening a long box. seems like less work then fixing my bed still.

Money total:
1000 truck
40 floor pan
30 cab mount
180 CV front
150 IRS
90 mark 8 aluminum
50 body mounts
30 random goodies
125 intake manifold
redlinemotorsportts

Now, 4 months later i havnt forgot lol. Picking up where i left off after a brutal winter.

I know theres aftermarket cab corners but i was feeling crafty. I guess someone got ahold of the bondo bucket.

Took the back glass out and flipped it on its back. Fabbed up the other side of the cab mounts, came out better then i thought. Wire wheeled the hole thing and ready for cab mounts to be mocked up.

Well i bit the bullet. To many gains to it then running my FE. A 1994 lincoln mark viii came in the junkyard and i couldnt resist. Pulled all the engine bay wiring, fuse boxes, ecm and controllers. Still need some stuff for it to run like fuel pump wiring, ignition wiring (going to try and use the original key or close to), rad and electric fan, overflow tank, air box, and gas petal setup.

Got wiring schematics in the mail 8 pages of this that shows the hole car.

Spaghetti's on the menu!

Going to try and use the original cluster in my cluster, if that makes sense. I might see if theres something that plugs into the mark viii's cluster plug thingmajig

Got the driveshaft from it too, light. Nobodys tried to make it work I dont think but we figure that its only 2 1/4" to long witch is way closer then i thought. Found a guy who shortens them and see what he wants to do that

Now looking for new gears for the rear end. Ranger in the junkyard had 4.10s but the pinion was trashed... :pout: plenty of 3.73s so i think thats what im going with, overall good gear. The solid axle 8.8 ring and pinion should swap to my irs housing I assume.

03 cobra long tubes MIGHT fit this. Pace setter has some for $299. Once i get the engine mounted up and cab on i can really see how they might fit. if i suspect they will i think ill try some out and if they wont fit ill return them.

Have to figure out a tank, i think a fuel cell would be easiest but i have to figure out how people rig them up.
poke em

Re: 1971 f100 4.6 Mark vii CV-IFS FN-10/MN-12 IRS

Post by poke em »

Nice work!

I am building a swb with mark viii drivetrain and cv ifs as well.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a tank that would work with the IRS. The easiest option I have found is a 16 gallon universal tank. The sway bar just gets in the way for anything bigger. I got one from tanks inc, baffled and ready for an in tank pump, hopefully I'll get it bolted up in a couple days. I can post some pics after it's in if that helps. A mustang tank would work but you'd need to section about 4" out of it. I didn't want to take a chance on having leaks, plus you'd lose about 5 gallons of capacity. With the 4.6 I should still be able to get close to 300 miles on a tank.

I found that my stock mark driveshaft was about 1 3/8 inches too long. Nobody would shorten it locally for less than 200 bucks, so I am having a steel shaft built.

I was really anxious about chopping the wire harness down, but after I started it wasn't that bad. It only took a day or so. I used a factory EVTM manual I got on ebay for 15 dollars and it was worth its weight in gold. Figuring out how to route it all into the cab and make it look okay was harder than cutting it up.

For the exhaust, I used cobra manifolds and a Mac pro chamber h pipe. I'll build the rest myself sometime soon. The cab support crossmember had to come out, and I'll probably have to fab something up at some point. I am 90% sure that cobra longtubes would fit.
Uni Moe

Post by Uni Moe »

I'm enjoying watching your progress. I've done a bit of research on the CV swap. It's recommended that you box the frame at the CV attachment area. Without the boxing you will get a lot of frame flex that will effect the ride quality. Without it the ride can be clunky. Keep up the good work.

I've shortened a long box. It's time consuming but not too difficult.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12973 ... e-box.html
gasnoil

Post by gasnoil »

Keep up the good work! :thup:
redlinemotorsportts

Thanks guys!

I talked to a few people about setting up a steel tank such as a mustang tank but yea, sway bar is right in the way. Ill probably do a fuel cell with a inline pump and return. Could you link me to what you have, poke em?

Yea i think we roughly measured that it was bout 2" to long so were going to contact a local driveline place and get some numbers.

I really want long tubes, and pace setters might work but theres a good chance theyll hit the firewall. If it looks close ill buy some with a return, and just send them back if it doesnt work.

I do have a plate cut out for one side of my cv frame just not welded, ill probably make a bigger plate when i can paint the inside of the frame with bedliner and then plate it, so i get most of whats behind the plating.

Got 4.10s from a explorer 8.8. Scored brand new, never used cobra carbon fiber trac lok clutches and maybe some other new diff junk, ill see what he sends me.

Ive been messing with it a little, working on the rear irs subframe with my father. Put the body on the frame, and frame in the garage.

I have both repop cab mounts in hand, but i need the metal sleeves for my new cab mount bushing kit. Old ones were all siezed up and i cut them out.

Got into my hood to find out its worse then i thought, but i have a game plan for it. Whats the worst that could happen??? :?

Patched up the stupid vent hole thing too.

I still look twice a week for a bed on cl and nothing, for the past however many months its been. even a long bed or step box.

I can hack up my bed floor completely out but i really need a passenger bed side front to the back cap part under the body bump.
poke em

Post by poke em »

That rust looks like a lot of work. I've driven about 200 miles so far on my Mark VIII swap and I can tell you that lower gearing is the way to go. I got this tank from Tanks Inc:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... prd173.htm

Here are a couple pics of my tank install. If it looks like I have more room, keep in mind I still need to cut 4" off the back of my frame rails, as this is a swb conversion. The rearmost crossmember will be almost right next to the rear support of the mounting frame for the tank. The sway bar has about 1/4" clearance at full droop. 16 gallons. You could have a custom tank made that is taller and an inch or so wider to get more capacity. I'm running that Mark VII 4.6 dohc so I should still get decent range on this tank.

48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

When you start messing with the wire harness on the 4.6 There are a few places that do it search wire diet keven know a bunch about it.

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/183 ... -a-63-F100

also a really good forum

the pats might be a pain but if you have original cluster and key.

You should have plenty of room for headers unless they hit crown vic crossmember. I had exhaust clearance issues with the first stock for crossmember i made up a tube one . I know shorty headers fit coupe 05 used them on a 3v, think he picked them up on ebay. what about the driveshaft from a crown vic. wheel base is almost the same, I'm running one in mine. The cop car version its 5/8" shorter than civ and it has the huge u joints and is aluminium, bought mine form so taxi place in the queens or brooklyn shipped to my door. I student taught up in the finger lakes Moravia and Auburn.
gasnoil

Post by gasnoil »

Great work so far :thup: can't wait to see the finished project!