The "Krusty Kab"

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

The "Krusty Kab"

Post by IN2FORD »

Ok so I watch to much Sponge Bob with my son....

My build is a 72 F100 shortbed. I have played with Foxbody Mustangs and late model F150's and a couple of Lightnings but have wanted an F100 hotrod for years. So I worked out a trade for this 72. The Previous owner had already done the Crown Vic swap with an Explorer rear end. Exactly what I wanted to do. He installed the late model Mustang wheels with a 2 inch spacer in the back. They work ok on the front but not on the back even with a spacer. Way to much offset. Also I had hoped I would make a few changes and then it was off to the autocross...well the more I messed with this truck the more I realized it needed a total tear down. Sooo many things were barely installed. Fromt clip only had 4 tight bolts out of 8. No wonder things were shaking and rattling on the way home. Then found that the frontend was not tight, rear leaf springs were shot...total tear down is bound to happen.

Then I tried an 18x10 Bullitt wheel with the 2 inch spacer. Worked ok but not what I wanted.

I made me a frame to pull the bed off with my engine hoist.

I pulled the bed to do a couple of things. First was to remove the cross member for a Mustang tank and then move on to a C notch. As far as the Mustang tank I purchased a Tanks Inc tank setup for fuel injection with a 255lph Walbro pump. (Set up similar to a fox mustang). For the C notch I picked up a piece of 6 inch steel pipe, cut and spliced.

Ready to start the c notch

Made my first cut using a angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Tough making curves with that. The other side I cut it small and worked my way into the right side with a flapper wheel on the angle grinder 60 grit.

Second side with the pipe fabbed in

I picked up some steel plate and fabbed in the backing plate. I could not take it further forward because of leaving room for the shock

I work on the side (truck money) for American Powertrain. I take care of their computers and server for them, but a couple of guys came over to help me weld up the c notch. I am very inexperienced with welding so Matt Graves taught me what to do and in a few minutes I was welding up my frame. The bald head is Gray Fredrick one of the owners of American Powertrain. Both are awesome guys. Gray is building a wicked 66 Cornet Convertible with a 528 fuel injected big block 6 speed and Matt built a C10 (known as the cheap 10) with a carbed LS 5 speed.

Finished product

I went to the local pick and pull with my dad and buddy and bought a 351W out of a 96 F150. I wanted a late model to have the roller cam and also all of the mounting brackets for the accessories such as A/C compressor and alt. Cost me $280 with everything but the intake. I plan on running a foxbody style intake plus I have an extra fox engine harness. The plan is a basic stock rebuild with flat top pistons and I have a set of AFR185 heads(Thanks to a fellow Ford buddy of mine).

Today I worked in getting the front clip ready to come off. It's ready so just waiting on some help to lift it off.

The next step is to replace the rust on the Krusty Kab. cab mounts, floor pans, small spot on a rocker, plus the back cab corners...both sides. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks I can get that done so I can remove the cab. I decided to go ahead and sand blast the frame to powder coat it.

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 12 times in total.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: The "Krusty Kab"

Post by sargentrs »

Great work! Looking forward to seeing more. :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Grease Monkey

Post by Grease Monkey »

Looking good!
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

That is some major and also nice work you have been doing. The more i read these post about lowering the trucks the more i think about doing it. I guess that will be in the future.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

jimmy828 wrote:That is some major and also nice work you have been doing. The more i read these post about lowering the trucks the more i think about doing it. I guess that will be in the future.

I have always been into the hotrod stuff. I like all types of stuff but enjoy the hotrod build. Gotta have the slight raked stance with some meaty tires and a strong engine. I did pull the frontend off today with the help of my dad and a buddy of mine. Now onto the rusty stuff.

Thanks for the compliments!!

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Looking good! :thup: :pop:
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
derbydad276

Post by derbydad276 »

Im half way through my crown vic swap also I hung a 8.8 from a exploder too and don't like it so Im going Mark VIII IRS nice work so far
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Just a small update...finished stripping the inside of the cab. I removed the harness, heater box, and also removed the brake booster. Also started diagnosing the Krusty Kab's Krusty areas. looks like I need floor pans, cab mounts and a door post patch. While I am waiting on parts, I started fabbing a plate to mount my Mustang hydroboost. Slowly moving forward.

More to come!! As soon as I move a little further forward on the hydroboost I will post some pics.

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonhanger007

Post by moonhanger007 »

Nice work! Wish I had the time to do a full frame off.

Here is the new cab mounts from DC, only thing missing
is the hole for the mount bolt.

Definitely worth the extra few $.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

After reading about the others, I will definitely will be purchasing those mounts. Thanks for the pic!!

Barry
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Truck looks like a fun project! I didn't do the CV swap or C-notch on my current truck, but I'd love to built another truck someday and go all out on the mods! Keep up the good work! :thup:
Jason
"Where there's a wheel, there's a way!"
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Sold: '77 F100, '72 Gran Torino, '76 El Camino with 454 & TH400
390fastback

Post by 390fastback »

Ditto on the Explorer rear. I put it under my uni with the CV front end. I put the |Cragars on it with 1.5" spacers. |They fit nice but......I bought a 93 Mark VIII that will donate the rear to this, and the quad cam 4.6 to replace the interceptor 4.6 I put in two years ago.

BTW the Cragars are 17x9 with 5" back space.
74 F250 4x4
67 M250 4x4
62 unibody short box
couple old mustangs
couple old buicks
couple old internationals.....too much junk
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I have been working on fabbing the Mustang hydroboost to the truck. I fabbed a 3/16 inch steel plate that mounts to the factory holes on the firewall an drilled a hole for the hydroboost to pass through the same hole the factory booster did. I also opened up the hole on the firewall so that the large nut that keeps the mounting plate on the booster can pass through.

Now my problem is connecting the rod to the pedal. As you can see the rod is about 1" short and the hole is slightly higher than the rod. Now what is going to be the best way to lengthen the rod and will the angle be to steep? Right now I am thinking cot the rod and lengthen it. I am also thinking that the angle will be ok because as you press the pedal the angle quickly drops to come in line.

What do you think?

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrypticRacer13
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by CrypticRacer13 »

Looks good
-Mike-
ECV 1849
Build>http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=68225
69' F250 Highboy 390ci.,NP435,Dana 24,HPD44,D60
67' Dodge Coronet R/T 440ci.4speed,D60, all numbers correct
72' Dodge Dart 440ci.727,D60,10ptcage street strip on meth 10.40s
05' Chevy Tahoe LT loaded for the wife an the baby duty
12' Ford Focus Titanium Hatch Back, Gas saver for the work week
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Here is the plate mounted in the booster. I had to elongate a couple of holes and also the hole the booster passes through on the firewall. This allowed me to move the booster up so that it lines it with the hole on the pedal better. Now I need to get the pedal and booster connected some how.

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.