My 71 Bump

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

wndsofchng06
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: My 71 Bump

Post by wndsofchng06 »

Man you're all over this! Looks great
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

Thanks! Really enjoying working on this truck.

Got the truck and motor/trans pressure washed this evening.

Figured out why it was leaking. Previous owner installed Edelbrock intake and reused the gaskets between the intake and block...which if im not mistaken you are suppose to leave out and just use RTV. There was silicone smeared all over the rear. :doh:
71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

Gonna repaint the block and oil pan ford blue, exhaust manifolds with vht flat aluminum, and i believe ill even paint the edelbrock intake with ford blue...and of course ill be installing the OEM style valve covers.
71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

Well I didn't get as much done tonight as I'd hoped. First thing I did was separate the trans from the motor which led to the torque converter puking all over the floor. I know I told myself to put the spill tray under it...oh well...live and learn. So I moved on to cleaning the trans and got it wrapped up. I'll end up dropping the pan and replacing fluid and filter once its back in the truck. Next I moved on to cleaning the OEM valve covers and throwing a coat of primer on them.

Biggest hold up was I didn't have the correct bolts to put the engine on my stand so I'll have to pick those up tomorrow...

71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

3 coats of "Old Ford Blue" later... :woohoo:

71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

looking great, keep up the good work :thup: . I wish I could have started with a short bed in as good of shape as that.
"FoPar" because I love Fords and Mopars so just call me FoPar... :D
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

Had a pretty good night in the shop. Got the motor torn down and started cleaning everything up. I hadnt planned on removing the exhaust manifolds but decided it was the right thing to do. That left me 4 problems...all the same but still problems. I broke off 4 of the studs along the top of the manifolds, but i must have had a golden horshoe up my hind end cuz i was able to drill through all of them and then run a tap through the hole :woohoo:

Moved on to cleaning an painting a few parts after that. Tomorrow will be a long day but i intend on having the motor back in the truck and running...fingers crossed!

71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

I'll add text later but here's today's progress...

71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
my79f

Post by my79f »

Great looking truck! I have your long lost brother truck. Same thing except a 302, and the green and white flipped.

What kind of mileage are you getting? 3.25 rear gear?
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

I haven't checked the rear gear yet but I'd say you're right or very close to it. Its been averaging 10 or so mpg. I've only had the truck 3 weeks now and put a little over 500 miles on it. Most of that was in town and back roads. I'd say its seen 30 or so at 70mph on the interstate.

If I read correctly the vac modulators on the C6 are adjustable and the previous owner installed a new one. I'm curious how much I can get out of it. The truck is in 3rd gear by the time I get to 25mph so I was thinking if I could let it stretch out a little more before shifting it might help mpg in town.
71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

Anybody have info or pics on the parts used to attach the shift linkage to the gear selector at the transmission? Mine has a top hat shaped bushing and the previous owner had a hodge podge of circlips on there.

Should it have a hitch pin style retainer or what?
71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
AZf100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by AZf100 »

I Looked for them all over the place and ended up finding them in the help / Dorman section at Oreilly's
Dorman HELP! 74040 Linkage Bushing Ford
Dorman HELP! 74039 Linkage Bushing Ford
I Don't remember which one worked but they also had a combo pack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I ain't as good as I once was But I'm as good once as I ever was"
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r73 ... 6e738a.jpg
1971 F100 SWB 302 2WD (Work In Progress)
2010 F250 4X4 6.4 Power Stroke / lariat Black
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

Thanks I'll look into those. Anyone know where the ground cable that attached to the firewall on the driver side is suppose to attach to the motor?

Mine was previously attached to a valve cover bolt...but that just doesn't seem right.
71 F100 Ranger XLT 360