I call it the Bruise..........

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: I call it the Bruise..........

Post by Canonman67 »

Haven't made a lot of progress the last couple weeks, got frustrated and took a couple weekends off. Visited the wetlands and did a bit of wildlife photography. Checked in at the shop today to drop off a few parts and fitted the power steering cooler. Image

I still need to attatch this to the frame but it's nice to see how it fits. Image

Painted the last two pulleys and I'll get them on next weekend. Other than putting the connecting the two seat locks with a coat hanger I didn't accomplish a lot. Image
tnab1970

Post by tnab1970 »

Where did the adapter for the NV4500 to the 390 bell housing come from ?
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

I got it here. http://www.advanceadapters.com/categori ... /0/33/2/0/
Here's the article that got me started. http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ins ... nsmission/
I used the GM version simply because it was easier to find at a price I was willing to pay even with the cost of changing the input shaft to the Dodge version. One thing though, if you're planning to use the in frame gas tank I don't believe it will fit with the long Dodge tail housing.
tnab1970

Post by tnab1970 »

thanks, That's quite an article
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

So I got frustrated with all the little snafus and took a vacation from the truck for awhile. Got back to it this Sunday and started by putting the distributor in. Unfortunately that involved removing and resetting the intake manifold since it was too far back on the block and didn't allow the distributor to sit properly. Image

I'll clean up the excess sealant next week when it's set and easier to remove. Once the distributor was in the rockers were next. Image

And then the valve covers and carb. Image

The points were the next item on the agenda. Image

I decided to go with the Pertronics Ignitor III.
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

I had thought to run the ac lines under the inner fender so I bolted things up this weekend to see what I was doing. Good thing too since it raises more questions than it answers. Image
I played with the grille since it wasn't on the truck when I bought it and it's nice to see the bling even if I'm just holding it up.

I need to bolt the stone guard and upper valance on so I can see how and where I can mount the horns and ac drier.

Here's the problem area, I don't want to run the lines under the heater where you can see them inside, the article that I got the idea from ran them through the cowl vent which I don't want to do if I can avoid it.
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

Managed to get some work done today. I hung the under dash evaporater and the radiator. Image

I'll leave the plastic on until I'm ready to drive it. Image

I choose the one that runs under the column. I still need to work on the fit.

I wanted to run the lines under the inner fender with a shield to protect them from road debris. I was worried it wouldn't work, but it turns out that's pretty much where they fall.

Since my truck came to me with the wrong grille etc I wanted to get a preview of the right parts in place. Image

Obviously I still need to clean everything up before I bolt everything down for the final time.
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

It's been a busy couple of months. The club has moved to new digs so work has been slowed a bit but I have made a bit of progress. Mostly in the area of the gauge cluster. I wanted something different and also needed to have an electronic speedometer for the NV4500. Image

There's the layout after cutting the aluminum that was used as a floor patch. The high beam indicator is an Empi branded part and the turn signal indicators are NOS International Harvester. Yes the tach and speedo are different brands, the Marshall electronic is about two thirds the price of an Autometer. Image

I didn't want to spend another $50 on tools so I used this which I found at the local Ace on a closeout for $10. Image

It kinda felt like Christmas in April with all the boxes and bags getting opened. Image

I found a six inch by eight foot roll of walnut on Ebay for $10 shipped so I have plenty if I decide to change something. Image

I taped the veneer to the face to keep it flat while I sprayed it with urethane. I still need to sand and respray after scratching it cutting the holes. Image

Here it is mocked up. I did the veneer at home so I'll put the gauges in and finish the wiring at the shop this weekend. I had planned to use chrome screws but at almost three dollars a piece they're a bit spendy right now. Also scrapped is the plan to wrap the bezel with chrome vinyl, I'm going to try polishing it first since to be honest I liked the bare aluminum and steel look when I was laying things out.
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

looking great! working on a similar dash gauge setup right now. nice work :thup:
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

So here's the initial assembly of the gauge cluster. Image

After finishing the wiring I disassembled it so I could clean up a couple of scratches in the veneer and polish the bezel. Image

I've never attempted polishing metal before so it's going to be a new experience.
poke em

Post by poke em »

Awesome work, the panel looks great.
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

Thanks Poke em and Seapine, it's nice to finally see the bling instead of the mechanicals. Seapine post some pics in the interior forum when you get your dash done.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great job on the dash panel! :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
JWW
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by JWW »

I'm really enjoying this project. Great pictures. Looks like you are doing a great job. :thup: :pop:
JWW
1967 F100 Ranger, Auto, 240ci
2004 F150 Crew Cab
My project: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

Thank you gentleman. The compliments and attention are greatly appreciated especially when enthusiasm for the project gets low.