'69 into '70 4x4 build.. First Post!

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

fordhillbilly

'69 into '70 4x4 build.. First Post!

Post by fordhillbilly »

Hello All, I've been reading this forum since I started this build (which was almost 2 years ago, workin on it when i have the chance... and the money) but I have gained a ton of knowledge on these trucks from this forum and some other great ideas. So, I figured its about time to show off some of what I have been working on and start a build thread on my truck. :fr:

So I got this truck for free from a conversation where I mentioned I really wanted to build a bump if I could come across one. A guy I was working with was happy to get one out of his yard and so I got my first bump (year and a half ago).

Starting from the beginning, I started with a '69 F250 4x4

And then first day after washing if up a little, started tearing it apart:

Upon inspection when tearing her apart there was a TON of rust... began with rust repair.... Cut out the passenger floor pan, pass. body support, half the kick panel, two sections of the rocker panel, and much more... which I cant to seem to find pics of.. but oh well because I stopped that project when I found a donor truck for the body:

So here I began to prepare for the '70 body to be swapped onto the '69 frame...

So then I got the cab swapped

As far as motor mods went, I put an Eldelbrock performer plus cam, intake, and carb on this 390. Along with a set of flowtech headers, and a homemade exhaust with thrush glasspacks:

Once together I knew it wasnt running right... checked compression and was low on one cylinder, found out heads had worn exhaust seats. BUT also realized these were C1AE heads on this 390... Took them to the local machine shop and had new valves, seats, springs, guides, seals, and surfacing done. Reinstalled (better phone also):

Back together, with new radiator also:

Have been working on body work more recently and decided to do dash pad delete... not entirley done but this is progress:

Shes coming along and I will try and keep you posted thanks for all the help and info!

EDIT: Hopefully fixed photos (thought I could link from google photos... guess only I could see them)
Last edited by fordhillbilly on Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1969 f250 4x4 390ci
2000 f250 4x4 7.3l
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: '69 into '70 4x4 build.. First Post!

Post by Canonman67 »

Why can't I see the pictures? I thought it was my browser but I can see the pictures in other threads.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I can't see them either. :(
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
fordhillbilly

Post by fordhillbilly »

Should be working now. Let me know
1969 f250 4x4 390ci
2000 f250 4x4 7.3l
hot-rod

Post by hot-rod »

:thup: now it works. Nice pics :wink:
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I can see the pics now. You're making good progress! :thup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts. Keep up the nice work.
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

Looks great, keep up the good work. :thup:
fordhillbilly

Post by fordhillbilly »

Its been a while since i started this thread and i figured its about time to do an update... I have actually still been making decent progress on this project.

One big change is i decided to do a complete axle swap to super duty axles due to the lack of being able to find a good disc brake front end (with hardly any effort by the way) and came across a set of axles out of 2000 f250 for a really good price; plus four wheel disc brakes sounds good to me. I also purchased a hydroboost for the same year superduty and will be running that with a c2 pump to run it.

Heres the front end as a picked it up:

After the clean up and paint:

Crossmemember and hangers I built:

So the front end has been swapped but i changed tactics once again and has some time scheduled off from work to get some serious paint and body work done.. soooo... this is what i have been working on recently. I think i will have time to completely get the front half of the truck done this week, but i still have body work and prep to do on the bed... heres progress so far:

Decided om harbor blue and wimbledon white.. first time spraying anything (including primer), but i don't think it looks too bad; this is before i sprayed the white, decided to put it back on the frame to make it easier to spray hard to reach spots.

And after the two tone on the cab:

Tape lines came out surprisingly nice (to me at least):

Needed a break from paint and body work so I decided to start putting stuff back in the dash:

Got a little off track and finally decided to reupholster my seat with this LMC kit my wife got me over a year ago:

I'll post more pics as I make progress still have a week of vacation so I plan to keep hitting it hard. I wanna drive this thing one of these days! But I've got the fenders drying right now after the two tone along with the defroster grilles but still need to wrap up a little work on the hood and doors and probably reprime and then sand and paint. Also still need to swap that dana 60 rearend out for the sterling 10.5 I have but I need to come up with a plan for dropping the spring/shackle hangers to compensate for the added height i gained in the front.

Once again thanks for all the help this forum and all the members provide, I would be nowhere without it.
1969 f250 4x4 390ci
2000 f250 4x4 7.3l
fordhillbilly

Post by fordhillbilly »

So I decided to add a little bonus.... went and pulled the tape off the fenders so heres a sneak peak:

1969 f250 4x4 390ci
2000 f250 4x4 7.3l
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

wow :thup: looking great! keep the updates coming
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Great progress, the truck is looking good! My first bump along time ago was that color combo. Keep us up to date.
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
dave1972

Post by dave1972 »

Guy like you make me jealous! My project is going so slow!
fordhillbilly

Post by fordhillbilly »

dave1972 wrote:Guy like you make me jealous! My project is going so slow!
Haha that's the way it goes I think I'm 3 years into it at this point and still have alot more ahead I'm sure. :lol:
1969 f250 4x4 390ci
2000 f250 4x4 7.3l
fordhillbilly

Post by fordhillbilly »

So not a ton of progress today but I did loosely bolt the fenders on (even though I think I'll end up pulling them off again) , but I don't want them getting beat up floating around the shop. Anyway it is nice to see it start to look like a truck again.

Got it rolled back inside after being out for almost a week... it's a tight squeeze getting it back in there with these temporary 37" tires on there... but what can I say they were free (note the ratchet strap from the axle to the crossmember to gain that extra 1/2" haha)

Well that's all for today... I hope to make some more progess for the rest of this week, but I also have to get ready for my son's first birthday on sunday, so it's going to be a little busy around here until then.
1969 f250 4x4 390ci
2000 f250 4x4 7.3l