Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by hackster »

Well,

The first truck went pretty well in the end....few things I would do different on it so a few months ago I started scheming about a plan for a second truck.

Things I want in this truck.

Driver Quality, not as pretty and not afraid to drive it....anywhere.

Manual Transmission...I hate not having a manual. Autos are great and strong but so boring.

Lower ride height. This one will be a couple inches lower and on smaller diameter wheels, either 18's or 19's and will run 275's or bigger on all four corners.

Pretty much sums it up.

So the search was on for a 2wd short bed, mind you they are getting harder to find around here so this was harder than the first time around. Looked for a few months and my dad actually found the truck, behind his mechanics house. Picked it up for $500.00, literally drug it with all 4 tires locked up solid onto a trailer.

Here is the Gem!!! Aint she purdy.

So the teardown began last Thursday or so.....when I discovered the little fender bender was a little worse than we thought. The front framehorns have a little sway in them so it slowed the teardown progress a fair bit.

This is about 3 hours into the build..

Giving the LSX truck a little on screen glory..

Got the old girl to actually roll put two less old tires on the front and made it mobile for the first time in who knows how long. Its on the trailer headed to the frame shop.

So here is where we get very different from my last build.....its going to be ford powered. I truly wanted to do another LS build, but this truck is going to be a road race truck with potential for some sticky tires and all of the reading I did on the LS3 was horrible. It needed a dry sump setup in order to survive any kind of real road course events. I thought about LSA but the costs were more than I wanted to be in up front. So I started searching for coyote stuff. I stumbled on to this car down in Grants Pass a few days ago, made a deal with the owner and picked it up for less than a crate motor...it only has 22k on it and I should be able to use the engine, transmission, rearend, pedal assembly and hopefully the brake Master Cylinder.

Car is almost too nice to part out......oh nevermind =)

That brings us up to today. I should be able to get the truck back from the frame shop in the next week and get started on the real project.

Having a tough time getting my hands on a crown vic front clip....recommendations?

Should be a fun build.

Sean
poke em

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by poke em »

Awesome, I look forward to watching the progress!
yarko

Post by yarko »

Subscribed!!
clemsonjeep

Post by clemsonjeep »

Looking forward to watching this one for sure. The picture above with the buggy in the shop finally made me realize I know who you are...sorta. I've watched your builds on Pirate in the past...the 1st gen Cummins you built was awesome 8)
71 F100 Ranger XLT 360
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

clemsonjeep wrote:Looking forward to watching this one for sure. The picture above with the buggy in the shop finally made me realize I know who you are...sorta. I've watched your builds on Pirate in the past...the 1st gen Cummins you built was awesome 8)
Its a pretty small world isn't it. Especially in the car world. Thank you by the way, that truck was pretty awesome....I actually miss that one.

Whats funny is I have owned the buggy longer than anything else. Its been cut up and rebuilt several times. I think i have owned it for 10 years now. I dont know if I will ever sell that one.

Scored a Crown Vic frontend today up in Seattle, my dad is heading to get it this afternoon....super stoked about that one. (Thanks dad for all the help!!!)

Getting ready to order a bunch of parts in hopes that they arrive by the weekend =)

Sean
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

This is going to be a cool build!! I will be watching this for sure. I am hoping to carve up some corners with mine.

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

IN2FORD wrote:This is going to be a cool build!! I will be watching this for sure. I am hoping to carve up some corners with mine.

Barry
Thanks Barry, should be fun.

Although I only had a few hours to spend on the truck tonight, I had a hand and we got some work done. Did find a few things that I did not see upon my first inspection..needs an oil pan, it took a little hit when it went off roading. Also the driveline has a bend in it, but should be able to use the yokes and stuff to build a new driveline with so no real big deal.

She is a big girl....

Also scored on a frontend...2009 crown vic with all the hardware. My dad picked it up and I should see it sometime tomorrow. Stoked about that.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

If you decide you want to do a Tremec 6 speed on that engine, let me know. I still work for American Powertrain on the side so I can get you with the right guys on it. Also clutch, hydro clutch stuff and such. I am fabbing in their hydraulic clutch stuff now on the Krusty Kab. Think its going to work out good with the factory pedals. If you end up using the mustang pedals then just use the factory stuff for that.

Barry
BossGB385

Post by BossGB385 »

Sweet! Gonna be watching. Interested to see what you do with the stock shifter, I'm kinda excited. :D
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

IN2FORD wrote:If you decide you want to do a Tremec 6 speed on that engine, let me know. I still work for American Powertrain on the side so I can get you with the right guys on it. Also clutch, hydro clutch stuff and such. I am fabbing in their hydraulic clutch stuff now on the Krusty Kab. Think its going to work out good with the factory pedals. If you end up using the mustang pedals then just use the factory stuff for that.

Barry
That is one hell of an offer, thank you....I just might take you up on that Barry. I should know a little more about what I am doing here in the next week.

I hope to have the mustang torn down tomorrow and the truck back to start yarding the frontend out from under it.

Sean
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

BossGB385 wrote:Sweet! Gonna be watching. Interested to see what you do with the stock shifter, I'm kinda excited. :D
Thank you, I am not sure what I am doing with the stock shifter. I have looked and measured and since I am going to use buckets I should be able to get away with keeping the shifter closer to the seats, like between them like a normal car.

I really want to keep the seats a little lower than truck bench seat.

Thanks for following along.

Sean
guerra
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by guerra »

Sean you do some killer work! I cant wait to see how this one turns out. I like that this one is going to be powered by Ford..Keep up the great work, and lots of pic's please.
1967 f-100 lwb 360/c6
1969 f-100 swb 351/c6 (project)
Coupe5oh

Post by Coupe5oh »

I liked the first truck, but REALLY like this one. :)
-1993 Cobra #121, Black/ Grey leather
-1968 Mustang GT Fastback, Gulfstream Aqua
-1967 f100 pile of parts...
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

guerra wrote:Sean you do some killer work! I cant wait to see how this one turns out. I like that this one is going to be powered by Ford..Keep up the great work, and lots of pic's please.
Thanks for the compliments....Ill do my best but I am not that religious about taking photos, especially when there is nothing exciting.

So the wife is still over in Europe and my spare time has been much less than normal as I am taking care of the dog and doing chores a bit more. I did manage to get out in the garage for a couple of hours today and a little bit this week. Managed to get the entire pedal assembly, clutch master cylinder, booster and master cylinder out of the car. Gas pedal removed as well as some cool steering column parts that I think Ill be able to use.

Got the car outside today up on jackstands and pulled the rest of the exhaust, driveline and rearend out of it.....It was a little more work than I anticipated especially by myself.

I have a few little parts and pieces left to grab like the emergency brake handle assembly and boot and a few hoses and stuff but other than that its pretty stripped down....now to figure out what to do with the rest of the damn thing.

Sure my neighbors love me...

I swear there is something missing here =)

Rearend out and ready to go serve a much better life.

I am torn with the rear suspension. I seriously considered using the stock mustang rear suspension and building mounts on the truck but I am not super keen on the single upper link that is super super short. Everything else actually looks pretty descent, maybe Ill build a new upper link setup and keep the lowers.

Should be making some serious progress in the next few weeks. Work owes me some serious time off.

Sean
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I have fooled with foxbody mustangs for a long time and a 3 link setup with panhard bar is the ticket for handling. That will take alot of fabbing but would be nice. Doing a 4 link ridetech bolt in kit might be easier and just as good.

Barry