Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

SeapineF37

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by SeapineF37 »

gah! new thread! new thread!
why you holding out on us with this good good? haha
love your builds and looking forward to some updates on the changes you made to this new truck based upon your past projects.
seriousy sean. thanks for all you have shared with all of us in the past and if you have some time...
give us at least the abridged version of the thoughts behind this guy!
:pray:
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
Pepper2829

Post by Pepper2829 »

I had been looking at that 4-link.... wasn't sure how much tire space it would eat up...looks like there's plenty of room. :thup:
You need to put all your knowledge down in a book, it would be the bump Bible for great mods
Btw, I love your $8 wheel dollies .....I need to go get a couple more
2013 Ford Explorer Limited
2005 Ford F350 Lariat - crew/short/6.0L
1972 F100 Sport Custom - reg/short 429/C6 crown vic/Explorer rear
1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 - in family since new
1954 Chevrolet pickup - 350/T5 mustangII/Explorer rear
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

SeapineF37 wrote:gah! new thread! new thread!
why you holding out on us with this good good? haha
love your builds and looking forward to some updates on the changes you made to this new truck based upon your past projects.
seriousy sean. thanks for all you have shared with all of us in the past and if you have some time...
give us at least the abridged version of the thoughts behind this guy!
:pray:
Hey man Thanks for the compliments. Been super busy with the truck build, getting ready to head to Fontana for the next Optima event, then SEMA and Vegas Invitationakl shortly after that.

Ill try and get a build thread going for the other truck.....engine and tranny showed up today at my work so Ill have some progress on it soon.
Pepper2829 wrote:I had been looking at that 4-link.... wasn't sure how much tire space it would eat up...looks like there's plenty of room. :thup:
You need to put all your knowledge down in a book, it would be the bump Bible for great mods
Btw, I love your $8 wheel dollies .....I need to go get a couple more
There is a lot of room between the frame and the inside of the wheelwell as the frame is inset from the wheelwell location

The 4 link is a pretty cool setup especially for the DIY type fellow. I would do it again for ease of installation. I still like my custom bracketry better for fit, finish and final look but you really cannot go wrong.

Appreciate the props fellas.

Sean
GOODOLEBOY84

Post by GOODOLEBOY84 »

hey I looked at your build, I might have missed it but how did you hook up you speedometer to the transmission?
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

GOODOLEBOY84 wrote:hey I looked at your build, I might have missed it but how did you hook up you speedometer to the transmission?
I am running Dakota Digital VHX Guages hooked up through the Coyote ECU. They are awesome, look totally stock to the unsuspecting eye and work great. Resettable trip meters, programmable and no holes in the dash :thup: :thup:

Well interesting few weeks I have had.

Been working on the front of the truck trying to get some better Aero and get the frontend down a little bit. Munssey Speed and Design had built a few front bumpers for the bumpside trucks, I was lucky enough to get one of the very first ones of them in the fiberglass ones. Well, when I got it in the mail it was not exactly what I expected but I decided to make lemons out of lemonade. It really is a front bumper delete, think front rolled pan. You would have had to cut off the first 4 or 5 " of the frame and I was not up for that so I used it as an aero piece to smooth out the front of the truck.

You can kind of see what I am going after here.

Oh and finally picked up a tig machine, this was literally my first time on aluminum, I was pleasantly surprised.

Mocking things up, and getting the bumper to finally sit straight.

Once it was mocked up I pulled it apart and painted the front "Bumper" and sanded it down to get it to match the rest of the truck. This was a quick effort.....this is all rattle can, primer a few coats of paint, some wet sanding a a little time with a buffer. I think it turned out awesome.

Finished up the frontend with some pretty cool little home made struts and that was a wrap.

With that done I was ready or almost ready to load stuff up and head to Optima Fontana. Spent a few days getting the new wheels and tires on the dodge as well as de stickering the camper....yes, I am OCD.

That is my 15 year old nephew that rolled down there with me, just under 1100 miles one way. He had an awesome time and lives 3 hours from me, we dont spend enough time together but we always have fun and he loves car time with his uncle.

Lost a trailer tire about 50 miles from Fontana on Friday got it up in the air and swapped it out fired up the tuck and something was squealing fierce up front.

Got to a tire store, got them to plug and patch the trailer tire and picked up a Tensioner, belt and water pump just incase. Ended up swapping that out at the track at night as it was cooler at night and quiet. Got rid of the noise.

Some great sunrises and sunsets down there.

Last edited by hackster on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Well, things kind of kept down that route the rest of the weekend.

Ran a few Speed Stop events and my time was getting better, not great and certainly not on the fast end of things compared to the rest of the cars in the field...there was some super fast ass cars there this weekend.

Was getting down to the last 45 mins and went to start the truck for the next run and it had no throttle operation. Shut off, started again and it went full throttle....Ran for a second or two and I got it shut off. Pushed out of the staging lanes and pulled out the JMS Pedal Max controller and tossed it....all worked well again. By this time Speed stop was over and it was lunch time. Ate some lunch and headed to the autocross. Got in two really, really slow runs but getting the lay of the course. Hopped in for the third session and the brake pedal was pretty spongy. Pumped it a few times before heading out and it went to the floor. pumped, pumped and it never came back up. Drove it back to the pits with the e brake and worked on it.

Pulled the cap off the master and had the nephew pump the pedal a few times. Got some air bubbles and the pedal came all the way back. Rebled the fronts and no air, wondering if I had air or something trapped in the lines and they migrated to the master cylinder?? Still wondering about that.

Only ran two sessions on the track on Sunday, just could not get into it.

I have a bunch of photos of the truck thanks to my Nephew and Daniel from FTE. Thanks again for the photos man.

Yes this is an amateur race with streetcars. This thing was bad ass, the guy was super cool and gave us a full tour inside and out.

Autocross

Speed Stop

Ill get some of the other photos from the weekend up soon.

I had a great time with the kid, safe travels, I am pretty hard on myself and a little disspointed in how I drove and how the truck handled.

Its getting a pretty good tear down, new Springs front a rear, new rear panhard bar and looking at how to get more corner entry grip before SEMA. So here is to the mad thrash of the next two weeks.

Oh and the rearend decided to puke a bunch of fluid on the drive home :cry: Pretty much how I felt yesterday :clap:

Sean
poke em

Post by poke em »

Love the track day updates, thank you for posting them. The air dam is bad a$$. The truck just keeps evolving, getting better and better. I have to think that racing is alot like golf, where some days are better than others. Try not to be hard on yourself, just enjoy it and keep the updates coming, they're great.

Are you going to do a thread on the new truck in progress?
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

wow sean! that looks super rad. is that lower "dam" channeling some air into the engine bay? or just adding some front end downforce?
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
MiniSuperDuke

Post by MiniSuperDuke »

Are you going to be at SEMA? Will you bring this truck or the other or both, and if so what building and booth number?
GOODOLEBOY84

Post by GOODOLEBOY84 »

could you post a picture of you gauges...I have a 68 that im wanting to do something similar to yours..I picked up a 5.4 4v engine I wana use!
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

MiniSuperDuke wrote:Are you going to be at SEMA? Will you bring this truck or the other or both, and if so what building and booth number?
He asked my exact question. Looking forward to seeing your truck(s) and possibly meeting you, Sean! This thread has been just awesome to read, and echos a lot of what I've been thinking. I too built a truck that's just a little too nice to drive, :lol: , and have been thinking about building another one, or something similar to just drive the wheels off of. Anyway, dude, you do awesome work, thank you for sharing it with us, and let us know where you'll be at SEMA!

Tyler
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

tylerb43 wrote:
MiniSuperDuke wrote:Are you going to be at SEMA? Will you bring this truck or the other or both, and if so what building and booth number?
He asked my exact question. Looking forward to seeing your truck(s) and possibly meeting you, Sean! This thread has been just awesome to read, and echos a lot of what I've been thinking. I too built a truck that's just a little too nice to drive, :lol: , and have been thinking about building another one, or something similar to just drive the wheels off of. Anyway, dude, you do awesome work, thank you for sharing it with us, and let us know where you'll be at SEMA!

Tyler
Hey Fellas!!!

Sorry to have been MIA lately. Was pretty unhappy with my performance at Fontana so I busted ass to get things hopefully sorted out a little bit more than the last time out.

Went through all the suspension, remade the rear axle side panhard bar mount to hopefully get the rear roll center down a bit.

Replaced the rear springs with some 450lbx8" springs and replaced the front springs with 650x10" beehive style springs. Reset all the ride heights to be close to how it was and threw it on the scales. Believe it or not this thing is not horrible My next changes will be much much better weight distribution but for now I have to live with a 3550 lb weight with the race seats and and a 55 front 45% rear weight distribution and 3550 lb total weight.

Then was the brakes. I built some heat shields for the brake lines near the exhaust and covered them with heat tape. Been having some brake issues. Got the shields installed and rebled the fronts. Well the passenger side. Got to the drivers side and started inspecting it and found the lower piston was leaking into the dust shield. Curious if that was letteing air into the system. Replaced the caliper with a new one and bled the crap out of the system. Hoping all is well.

Loaded stuff up and headed south.

We are here in Vegas now...Loading into SEMA tonight as we are one of the last groups to load into the show. I will be there all week long and the truck will be in OPTIMA Alley. Not sure exactly where that is as I have yet to be there :D

If any of you guys following this want to check it out or shoot the **** hit me up, Ill be around most of the week and enjoy meeting peeps fromt he forums.

503.621.4186 Text is great

Have a great week fellas,

Sean
Last edited by hackster on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ckcorder

Post by ckcorder »

Sean, the splitter looks amazing!!

Picked up some magazine the other day and there you and the F100 were! I bought it so I can give you credit for massive amounts of inspiration with your few builds - Keep it up brother!

Chase
Pepper2829

Post by Pepper2829 »

Is he/ are you in a new magazine, or did you pick up a back issue??
2013 Ford Explorer Limited
2005 Ford F350 Lariat - crew/short/6.0L
1972 F100 Sport Custom - reg/short 429/C6 crown vic/Explorer rear
1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 - in family since new
1954 Chevrolet pickup - 350/T5 mustangII/Explorer rear
ckcorder

Post by ckcorder »

Pepper2829 wrote:Is he/ are you in a new magazine, or did you pick up a back issue??
It was a new magazine. It might have been a month or so old? I was in the grocery store and I can not remember what magazine it was. It wasn't a feature article but there were a few pictures of the truck!