Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Hackster, thanks for the nice photos and the up date.

I am surprised you are doing so well against the fast cars.

I bet it has surprised a lot of people.

Just shows all the work and improvements you made.

Please keep us up dated.

I enjoy all of your posts.

Thank you.

:fr: :fr: :fr: :fr:
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

crazyhorse wrote:Mr Hackster, thanks for the nice photos and the up date.

I am surprised you are doing so well against the fast cars.

I bet it has surprised a lot of people.

Just shows all the work and improvements you made.

Please keep us up dated.

I enjoy all of your posts.

Thank you.

:fr: :fr: :fr: :fr:
Thank you for the reply. It does surprise a lot of people, that is the fun part about it.

I leave them :hmm: sometimes.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Truck did great Saturday and I had a really good time. It was just a fun run but they were timed and the ORPCA posted up some results. Truck was fastest in its class of Non porsche RWD street tire. I was happy with that. The fastest cars out there were really fast, some of those guys are all about autocross all the time.

69 cars, an I was in the top 20 or so with the loose results.

I have a few things I need to work on. Driving the truck harder for one. Stiffer springs for another. Its going to get more body roll when the tires get bigger so it needs more spring. Going to order those tomorrow.

Looking forward to working on the truck again soon. Been working on house projects the past few weeks....wife is happy about that though :snapout:

Ill see if I can post some pics of the weekend up.

Thanks for the support.

Sean
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

sean, kudos on all your continued successes with the truck. probably fewer comments lately due to you getting into the "fine tuning" stages, but i for one certainly enjoy the updates and regularly scan back through both your builds for reference. going to get my engine bays as clean as yours if its the last thing i do :) keep up the posts! thanks
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

SeapineF37 wrote:sean, kudos on all your continued successes with the truck. probably fewer comments lately due to you getting into the "fine tuning" stages, but i for one certainly enjoy the updates and regularly scan back through both your builds for reference. going to get my engine bays as clean as yours if its the last thing i do :) keep up the posts! thanks
Thanks man. I understand the build is usually what I live for. I am actually enjoying using the truck rather than just looking at it like some hot rods.

I love a spotless engine bay, Each one seems to get a little better, it takes a lot of planning and patience but totally doable. I think the next one will get more sheetmetal work done in the engine bay with some formed panels.

I appreciate the comments.

Sean
iplumb

Post by iplumb »

Hackster,
Love both of your builds - love both of your trucks. Very very nice.
I was wondering if you might be able to share a little info...
I am replacing my 1969 F100's driveline soon and was wondering if you could post any additional info about your coyote motor mounts and the radiator you selected? A couple of pics of the mounts would be a huge help.
Thanks!
Mike
FrankZX

Post by FrankZX »

Sean,
I stumbled on your post when searching F100 handling with CV front end swap for my personal big block CV swapped F100. Your posts on this build has kept me reading your entire build!!! I'm amazed in your skills and taste with everything. I would love to pick your brain for about a hour. Lol
Keep this thread going, please.
By far one of or the best 67-72 F100 builds.
I have the same tow vehicle too, 14 2500 Cummins Ram or atleast I think that's what your camper truck is.
iplumb

Post by iplumb »

Anything?
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

iplumb wrote:Hackster,
Love both of your builds - love both of your trucks. Very very nice.
I was wondering if you might be able to share a little info...
I am replacing my 1969 F100's driveline soon and was wondering if you could post any additional info about your coyote motor mounts and the radiator you selected? A couple of pics of the mounts would be a huge help.
Thanks!
Mike
HI Mike,

My motor mounts are super simple. They are a piece of 2 x3" 1/4" wall rectangular tubing chopped down to 1-1/2" height with the holes offset in them. They are nothing fancy at all. I offset my motor a little bit to the drivers side so that the passenger exhaust manifold clears the frame boxing and set the motor back 2" from the intended location. I could have gone back further in hind sight but started to worry about shifter position when I was building it. Now that it is done and running and my final seating position is determined, I would have gone back further.

As far as the radiator, I dont have a part number. I purchased it from Northern Radiator and got their fan and shroud to go with it. I ordered the radiator to fill the opening between the radiator core support supports. Its pretty simple and obviously for a ford with the inlet and outlet in the right location. This thing keeps the engine very cool, have had zero issues with the truck getting too warm ever.

Sean
FrankZX wrote:Sean,
I stumbled on your post when searching F100 handling with CV front end swap for my personal big block CV swapped F100. Your posts on this build has kept me reading your entire build!!! I'm amazed in your skills and taste with everything. I would love to pick your brain for about a hour. Lol
Keep this thread going, please.
By far one of or the best 67-72 F100 builds.
I have the same tow vehicle too, 14 2500 Cummins Ram or atleast I think that's what your camper truck is.
Thanks Frank. I know that there are other people doing the crown vic swap but from what I have seen and the reading I have done, I don't think many others are pushing the performance side of this swap the way I have and it performs amazingly well for what it is.

Feel free to get ahold of me anytime, I am happy to help.

I love the cummins......all of the electronics and emissions B.S. though, not so much. I recently picked up a 98 12 valve cummins to be the dedicated hauler, working on getting the dually setup for the camper, just need to extend some wiring to get it all together and ill be able to test it all out.
iplumb wrote:Anything?
Sorry man, sometimes life just gets in the way. Work has been pretty busy and extremely stressful the last 6 months or so and I have found myself battling some depression for the first time in my life. As you guys have all seen, having motivation and getting work done is not really a problem for me normally. Since I got the truck done, I have had very little motivation and just a little gloomy.

Been staying off the internet a lot so as not to sound too emo but been feeling a little better the last week or so and hopped back on here to see whats up.

I have been keeping busy when I have the motivation. Shop is spotlessly clean finally. I have managed to finish all the tongue and groove I installed last year, ripped down all of my own trim for it got that all installed, stained and finished out. We repainted all the brick on the front of the house and replaced some bad flashing around a roof penetration. It turned out great.

Straightened out all of the dents in the original gutters and painted all the gutters house and shop. We had white garage doors before and they were showing their age so I repainted all of the garage doors on the house and finished up all of the can lights all around the house.

Getting a little more concrete work done on the front of the house now but all in all I have one happy wife and the house is looking really nice.

Very, very little to report on the truck other than I have been driving the **** out of it and dialing it in more and more each time. I finally ditched the stock type pads and put some Hawk HP Plus pads on it and cannot believe the difference in braking. Yeah they squeal a bit and they are dusty as hell but good god do those brakes work now.

Did a track day at Pacific Raceways last weekend and the truck did great. I am still waiting for the Addco front sway bar to show up, ordered it a month ago now...

Going to start on a few more changes to the truck here soon. Going to fabricate a tonneau cover for the bed with an adjustable spoiler on the back to help with a little extra downforce in the fast braking zones. Also toying with the idea of a full in cab cage.

I was over the 140 mark down the front straight at Pacific Raceways and that is damn fast.

Thanks for follwing along Ill get some pics up of the last few track days when I get a chance.

Sean
iplumb

Post by iplumb »

Sean,
Thank you so much for the info. Sorry to hear that you were having a rough patch there for a bit. We all go through it sooner or later.
Keep enjoying that truck, I'm sure its a blast to drive.
Mike
Ozblitz

Post by Ozblitz »

Little late on the reply, but I for one am NOT surprised you hang in there with those modern cars! I saw all you did to this truck and I knew you would hold your own. With all the suspension, brakes and Coyote motor you did to that ol' girl. Yeah, I knew it would be a beast!

Awesome Sean. :thup:
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

The truck has been really fun and surprisingly fast. I am looking for a little more rear grip on corner entry and probably the need to add some kind of rollover protection here soon. Ordered the large front sway bar a month and a half ago and it is still not in stock.

Work on the truck has been at a standstill, its pretty normal being in the HVAC Service side of the world, I get pretty hammered with work when its either hot or cold out.

Wheels should be here soon as well.

Managed to get a few days off last week and head out to the Ron Sutton class in Colombus Ohio just before the big Goodguys event. To say Ron knows a lot is an understatement. The amount of information that guy covers is immense and I came away with a much better understanding than I went into the class with.

I certainly have a few things to work on now, Bigger Front sway bar, Adjustable height on the Panhard Bar at the rear axle mount is in need too.

Ron was a great guy and I enjoyed the class a ton.

Then there was the Goodguys show....which by the way was just an added bonus we had no idea how big of a show it was. We went from hotel parking lot to hotel parking lot, burnouts in the streets to the actual show. Vendors for days, autocross with all the big dogs in attendance was amazing. Danny Popp is a machine and that vette is pretty damn fast.

The cars were just over the top. Some more than others.

Here are a few pics I took while back there.

This thing was just bad ass. Pretty Original with the G code. Stripped down base model 4 speed. It sounded incredible when he fired it up to leave.

I am starting to really dig these too. 49,50 and this was a 51.

The wife has a love for these cars now....this is an acadian and it was damn cool. Great stance.

Ill preface this with I am not a first gen camaro guy, nice cars but eh. This might have been my favorite car all weekend. It had just the perfect balance of new touches with the old styling. Interior was just enough race car, engine bay was still the resemblance of the original. Not covered up with fancy paneling and perfect paint. Excellent Balance in my opinion. Cool Build Busack.

For some reason my photobucket account is all messed up and I am looking for the photos.....

Ill try and get them loaded up and share.

Nice meeting those people I got to meet.

Sean
zmonster72

Post by zmonster72 »

killer build!
Bronco_77

Post by Bronco_77 »

You've got a wicked truck. I know what you mean about work I do hvac as well and we've been slammed all summer.
68 f100 390 3 speed on the collom G maw gave to me G paw drove in late 70s till late 80s
77 bronco 302 lifted 5.5 with 33s and rears cut
69 Mustang boss 302 clone bought when was 14 sold when was 28 to build house
FrankZX

Post by FrankZX »

Sean,
I punched and dimpled my frame after seeing yours. Dang the dimple dies are expensive. If my truck turns out half as nice as yours I'll be happy.
Don't want to mess up your thread. Heres my crossmembers eliminating. Got a few questions.