72 F100/99 Ford Lightning/06 CV Build.

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

JamesM72CS

Re: 72 F100/99 Ford Lightning/06 CV Build.

Post by JamesM72CS »

devindastrup wrote:
JamesM72CS wrote:Cool build man! I'm in the same boat as you...not sure what to do for the shifter.
Everything I've found only works on the 4r70 trans. Nothing for the 4r100. I think I will just build a bracket that extends down and weld it to the shaft. Should probably pull it out of the transmission even though I really don't want to.

What motor and trans are you using?
I'm using a ls1 and 4l60e...I thing I can make a braket for the cable to work with the column shift. Not sure yet thought.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

This is how I did the shifter linkage on my Cummins 6bt install with the Dodge 47rh.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 95#p583945

Should be able to do something similar on yours. Hardest part is understanding the arm length ratios so the column shifter moves the same as the trans to engage in each position. I'm not familiar with the Lightning, but how many detent's doe the tranny shifter have?
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

Very cool ideas guys! Thank! Been swamped with work and other projects lately. I shifted gears a little and started fitting my gas tank. Picked up a 70 mustang 22 gallon I'm putting behind the rear axle. Moved the cross member back today. Need to trim the frame rails then build straps. I'm planning on two straps on top of the tank and two straps on bottom. Has anyone done this way of mounting? I don't want to slide the tank in the frame rails for some reason... Can't figure out why.

Devin
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Since you will be fuel injected, you may want to rethink your tank and pick one up that is set up for EFI. I grabbed one from Tanks Inc Mustang tank. Came with the fuel pump and everything you need to make it work. If you don't get one set up for EFI(meaning with a baffle) then you have three choices. One is an external pump which can get noisy, or run an in tank pump with the a Tanks Inc. bolt in baffle(small baffle so not ideal) or no baffle and make sure you have at least 1/4 tank of gas. If you run below that the pump can run dry for a moment and fuel is how the pump stays cool. Just food for thought. By the way Tanks Inc has "scratch and dent" tanks that they sell at a reduced price. All you need to do is call and ask if they have one.

Barry
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

IN2FORD wrote:Since you will be fuel injected, you may want to rethink your tank and pick one up that is set up for EFI. I grabbed one from Tanks Inc Mustang tank. Came with the fuel pump and everything you need to make it work. If you don't get one set up for EFI(meaning with a baffle) then you have three choices. One is an external pump which can get noisy, or run an in tank pump with the a Tanks Inc. bolt in baffle(small baffle so not ideal) or no baffle and make sure you have at least 1/4 tank of gas. If you run below that the pump can run dry for a moment and fuel is how the pump stays cool. Just food for thought. By the way Tanks Inc has "scratch and dent" tanks that they sell at a reduced price. All you need to do is call and ask if they have one.

Barry
Thank Barry. I picked up a fuel cell with a sump from jegs. The piece of crap cap wouldn't come off... I tried everything. Called jegs and they explain, "push down and turn"... Yeah that thing sucked. I sent it back, they sent me another even though I just asked for my money back... Finally got my money back and bought a 70 mustang 22 gallon tank. I'll weld on a sump like what Sean did and use an external pump. I have no desire to wonder if I'm going to be able to remove my fuel cap.

Been fitting my tank up yesterday. Moved the cross member back and trimmed the frame rails wider. Need to work on rounding the corners then make straps. I'll have two straps on top and then two on bottom. It will mount under the frame instead of in between the rails. Been swamped at work so I only get a few hours a week to work on it.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

There is no reason for the two straps on the top of the tank if you are going to snug it up to the bottom of the frame rails. I did mine that way and really like it. Super clean and I can drop my tank with two bolts....I will do this next tank that same way.

I am doing the same tank as you but going to run the Aeromotive Phantom fuel pump, its a little spendy but it will be in the tank and no external pump noises or crap to worry about. My Bosch 044's are kind of loud and a lot of work to mount and plumb.

Sean
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

hackster wrote:There is no reason for the two straps on the top of the tank if you are going to snug it up to the bottom of the frame rails. I did mine that way and really like it. Super clean and I can drop my tank with two bolts....I will do this next tank that same way.

I am doing the same tank as you but going to run the Aeromotive Phantom fuel pump, its a little spendy but it will be in the tank and no external pump noises or crap to worry about. My Bosch 044's are kind of loud and a lot of work to mount and plumb.

Sean
My truck was originally a long bed. The frame rails aren't straight. Are your rails straight? I'd prefer just snugging it up but I don't think it will work as good with my frame...
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

Sean, do you have a part number for that pump? Is it a bolt in pump to this tank or a weld in ring on top?
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Ahh....I see my frame rails are straight on both trucks.

Cut a hole in the top of the tank drill a bunch of holes and bolt it in. Done deal.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/prod ... %20Systems

Sean
poke em

Post by poke em »

That is weird, my 68 was a long bed and my frame rails were completely straight.
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

Photo one is a 67-69 F100 rear frame I got that was made into a trailer. Slight change where the wiring dips down.

Photo two is my 72 F250 Shortened frame.

photo 3 is my friends 68 F100 Long bed. Still looks to be a slight change but cant tell for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Did you lay out the tank in there? I don't think it goes that far forward on the frame.

Sean
poke em

Post by poke em »

Okay, I see what you mean about the frame rails. On mine I cut a little bit of that out for my IRS install, so it's not quite like that now. I went with a smaller universal tank and was able to mount it way up into the frame, so it barely hangs down. The only downside is that it's only 16 gallons.
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

hackster wrote:Did you lay out the tank in there? I don't think it goes that far forward on the frame.

Sean
Fits snug. Plenty of room for the rear end. May end up putting a sway bar in front of the axle. Haven't decided.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
devindastrup

Post by devindastrup »

One last one