SWB Saleen F100

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

theletup

Re: SWB Saleen F100

Post by theletup »

poke em wrote:
fordguy_78 wrote:Happy to see an update, Going to make it to car da lane? I might think about putting mine in it if there is another bump side there.
Hey man, I will have my 68 in the cruise tomorrow. LWB Camper Special shortened with CV front end, Mark VIII rearend, 4.6 dohc and 4R70W. I wanted to have it ready for last year's Car d lane, but it just wasn't quite there.

Spotted you last night a couple times. Commented how cool your truck was. I like how you shortened the tool box. I'd love to get together for some cruises when my truck is done. I brought my blue 72 down last night but it was running too hot so I pulled off and parked at the white house and watched everyone else cruse.
http://SpokaneSaveMore.com
Save More Automotive
poke em

Post by poke em »

Hey thanks! I had planned on keeping the toolbox from the start of the project, and it turned out pretty good. Lots and lots of spot welds. I saw your baby blue truck parked on 7th at the big white house. I had seen it before on here and in Post Falls so I knew it was yours. Did you see the bump with the top chopped off? Aqua blue with yellow steel wheels. It was parked at Petersons market, but I don't know if it was in the cruise. There were tons of nice cars and trucks, it was pretty awesome. I'd like to check your rear suspension setup. I've got the Mark IRS right now, but the 3 and 4 link setups are interesting and I may decide to go that route at some point.
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

Looking good. Question, the trans crossmember looks bolted to the inside of each rail. How do you remove it? It's too wide to fit between the rail lips. :?
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.
fordguy_78

Post by fordguy_78 »

poke em wrote:
fordguy_78 wrote:Happy to see an update, Going to make it to car da lane? I might think about putting mine in it if there is another bump side there.
Hey man, I will have my 68 in the cruise tomorrow. LWB Camper Special shortened with CV front end, Mark VIII rearend, 4.6 dohc and 4R70W. I wanted to have it ready for last year's Car d lane, but it just wasn't quite there.

I'm pretty sure i saw ya I Know I saw a couple of different bumps mine was the the big green extra short bed.
Phill
78 Mustang
67 F250ish
2010 F250 Harley Davidson
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

[quote="theletup"]Not sure if I mentioned it or not yet but I own an auto repair shop in Spokane. Right now I have one of my bays taken up by my Saleen truck build and last week one of the old timer parts drivers from the Ford dealership and I go to talking after he dropped off some parts. He has a 68 that he restored about 20 years ago.

I was going over some build plans on my truck with him and told him I was going to locate some mustang bucket seats and build some brackets. His face lit up and he told me a story about some factory f100 buckets with brackets he had sitting in his garage. He found them just after he had finished his interior. Knowing how rare they were he kept them all these years thinking he use them on his truck someday. Then offered to sell them to me for what he paid ($250 for everything. Seats, brackets, carpet that covers the fuel tank and even the chrome trim that going above said caret). I jumped on the offer and he dropped it all of monday! He even had all the original bolts that he had cleaned up and painted. WOW.

I couldn't wait so I mounted them up. I had never sat in buckets in one of these trucks and I'm stoked these things found me.

I know, I flippin love mine! best decision I made, and best part of my build. the funny thing is these seats found me too. lol
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
theletup

Post by theletup »

SATURN5 wrote:Looking good. Question, the trans crossmember looks bolted to the inside of each rail. How do you remove it? It's too wide to fit between the rail lips. :?
It fits no problem. You just have to rotate it and pull it out diagonally. I chamfered the edges so it doesn't scratch the powder coat when I install/remove it.
Save More Automotive
theletup

Post by theletup »

poke em wrote:Hey thanks! I had planned on keeping the toolbox from the start of the project, and it turned out pretty good. Lots and lots of spot welds. I saw your baby blue truck parked on 7th at the big white house. I had seen it before on here and in Post Falls so I knew it was yours. Did you see the bump with the top chopped off? Aqua blue with yellow steel wheels. It was parked at Petersons market, but I don't know if it was in the cruise. There were tons of nice cars and trucks, it was pretty awesome. I'd like to check your rear suspension setup. I've got the Mark IRS right now, but the 3 and 4 link setups are interesting and I may decide to go that route at some point.
Yeah man anytime. I've got the truck at my shop in spokane if you'd like to see it up close. I'd love to get a bunch of bumps together for a mini show/bbq this summer at the shop so I can get some pictures of them parked out front. I thought about doing IRS at one point. How's the traction ?
Save More Automotive
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

wow great deal on the seats even better on the chrome trim and carpet they are the super rare parts to find.
theletup

Post by theletup »

Oh man it has been a while since I've been able to actually sit down and update this thread but the wife and kids are sleeping still and I'm usually up early on the weekends and at the shop working on the truck while they sleep. This weekend is family weekend so today I can take some time to write up internet forum posts and say "hey everyone, look at my stuff!"

Anyway, I've been making some decent progress on the old Saleen build. This project has snowballed into a MUCH larger project than I originally anticipated. I was just planning on a quick down and dirty swap using the mustang parts and it's tuned into a full frame off with lots of custom stuff that's taking me 10x longer than I had planned.

I spent one weekend bending up some stainless brake lines and mounting my Wilwood proportioning valve along with new rotors, pads, calipers etc...

For the SALEEN on the calipers I ordered some high temp caliper decals on ebay. When I installed them I used a small torch to heat up the decal which really melted it into all the little bumps on the caliper. Then I clear coated them in.

I used all factory brake hoses that I could purchase from NAPA or AutoZone. Front brake hoses for an 03 crown vic. Stock rear caliper hoses for an 02 Mustang GT and I made a mounting brake to get from the frame to the rear axle and used a 99 chevy tahoe rear brake hose for that. I just happened to be working on a 99 tahoe about a year ago and always remember since then hose great the rear hose would be to use on a hotrod project. Worked perfectly.

I still need to relocate the rear t-block where it's mounted on the rear axle just above the drive line. I'm going to move it up and back a few inches which relax the hose a little bit and also get it a few more inches away from the drive line. Then I can finish bending up the rear lines. This was my first time working with stainless and it's definitely harder to make great flares and more difficult to bend than mild steel but I think I did pretty well.

So I tore the motor down about a month ago, the plan was a paint job and reseal with all new gaskets.

(Sorry Ace Hardware... someone left it on the street in front of my shop. Great for moving parts around :) )

Somehow I decided with the engine already torn apart I would go ahead and install stage 3 cams and add more boost which requires more fuel i.e. bigger 47lb injectors, which requires and bigger MAF, which requires a larger high flowing throttle body, which requires a different pulley/belt setup, which requires.. . . . . it never ends LOL... Well here's some pictures of the engine as she sits:

Headers are BBK long tube ceramics order from AmericanMuscle.com

Next I have to remove the Supercharger one more time to install the 47lb injectors I ordered. I order a belt idler kit from mosaleen than wraps the belt further around the s/c pulley to get rid of belt slippage. Also installing a 66mm s/c pulley which should put me right around 10-12 lbs of boost vs the stock 4 lbs. I have a Ford Lightning 90mm MAF and a BBK 75mm throttle body ready to go on with all of that as well. I think I will also paint the alternator housing and pulley and do a few little finishing touches before I set her down on the chassis and start wiring.
Save More Automotive
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I nearly went the route of a 2 valve motor but like you mine was suppose to be a budget build too and I knew I would want boost on an overhead cam engine so I built a windsor. And that snowballed too....it just happens when you want things perfect. Love the way your truck is turning out!!! So I am assuming those are headers for a mustang. Do you think they are going to clear everything ok? No one makes long tubes for a windsor in an F100, especially with a CV conversion. So I have been looking at long tubes for a foxbody and wondered if they would clear ok.

Barry
theletup

Post by theletup »

IN2FORD wrote:I nearly went the route of a 2 valve motor but like you mine was suppose to be a budget build too and I knew I would want boost on an overhead cam engine so I built a windsor. And that snowballed too....it just happens when you want things perfect. Love the way your truck is turning out!!! So I am assuming those are headers for a mustang. Do you think they are going to clear everything ok? No one makes long tubes for a windsor in an F100, especially with a CV conversion. So I have been looking at long tubes for a foxbody and wondered if they would clear ok.

Barry
As far as I can tell everything should clear. They are for a 99-04 mustang. I won't know for sure until next weekend when I mount the transmission and motor oil the frame so we shall see :)
Save More Automotive
ablokzyl

Post by ablokzyl »

I've been wondering about the headers as well. I was thinking that this setup would need long tube headers that fit a crown vic, But they are pricey! Your build looks awesome by the way!
poke em

Post by poke em »

theletup wrote:
poke em wrote:Hey thanks! I had planned on keeping the toolbox from the start of the project, and it turned out pretty good. Lots and lots of spot welds. I saw your baby blue truck parked on 7th at the big white house. I had seen it before on here and in Post Falls so I knew it was yours. Did you see the bump with the top chopped off? Aqua blue with yellow steel wheels. It was parked at Petersons market, but I don't know if it was in the cruise. There were tons of nice cars and trucks, it was pretty awesome. I'd like to check your rear suspension setup. I've got the Mark IRS right now, but the 3 and 4 link setups are interesting and I may decide to go that route at some point.
Yeah man anytime. I've got the truck at my shop in spokane if you'd like to see it up close. I'd love to get a bunch of bumps together for a mini show/bbq this summer at the shop so I can get some pictures of them parked out front. I thought about doing IRS at one point. How's the traction ?

I will likely stop in sometime soon to check it out. I didnt do a ton of research before doing the IRS. If I had I probably would have went with something else due to the cost, the limit on gas tank size in the rear and a few other reasons. It is pretty cool looking though. The traction is good, but this engine is very mild. I rebuilt everything with poly bushings. I don't think it would work too well as is if I did a coyote swap. I would likely have to do delrin bushings ($$$) or swap it out to a 3 or 4 link solid axle.

By the way, do you know anyone who can do a proper alignment for me? Ive called a couple shops around here and they told me that they can't do it.
theletup

Post by theletup »

poke em wrote: By the way, do you know anyone who can do a proper alignment for me? Ive called a couple shops around here and they told me that they can't do it.
I can do the alignment, no problem. If you haven't already we will put adjustable hardware on the front end setup. I wonder why other shops said they couldn't do it??
Save More Automotive