"Hunter"...A 1972 f350 in the making.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

SeapineF37

Re: "Hunter"...A 1972 f350 in the making.....

Post by SeapineF37 »

sounds like a great idea to me. would have liked to have had that option on mone but had a bad repaint at some point and some rough trim so slowly getting her back to original color w matte clear coat is my plan. love the patina w clear look. its got my vote.
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

Well ups stood me up yesterday, but hopefully they will make it today..did however receive the cab mounts via usps...poor lady came walking up to the house with a box bigger than her...now im no super genius or anything but as im looking at them im thinking, hey they support more of the floor and have less seams to collect dirt and mud and gravel(i live in the country) so im thinking with a small amount of reinforcement around the hole for the body bushing bolts these should be plenty ok for my application...not like my truck is ever gonna be a show truck, nor do I see myself selling it unless someone walks up to me with "stupid" money...and chances of them knowing they arent "original" style is slim...at any rate, the work has to be done cause my poor old girl aint movin till it is...well since its back to playin the waitin game again guess ill do a lil prep on the rest of floor and try and get the rear cab bushing out and what not...or not, as of right now they are keeping the cab somewhat aligned....decisions decisions...well that it for now i guess....cheers
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

SeapineF37 wrote:sounds like a great idea to me. would have liked to have had that option on mone but had a bad repaint at some point and some rough trim so slowly getting her back to original color w matte clear coat is my plan. love the patina w clear look. its got my vote.
from your lil pic your 72 looks like it had all that shiny stuff(trim/rust collectors)...i cant tell much from the pic, but my 72 only has the "custom" emblems and for some reason the "eyebrow" trim...which a fellow ford fanatic said isnt supposed to be the on a "custom"...im not sure if hes right or not but i have thought about removing it and filling the holes, it just traps dirt and grime and leaves a dirty filmy line on my grill when it rains where the water runs out from behind it...
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

ok...so maybe i couldnt stand looking at new parts and not doin anything...as expected the el-cheapo cab mounts were a lil flimsy...no problem im gonin to make a second inner piece out of 16ga cold roll sheet that will weld in on the inside and box the support a lil and double up the mounting bolt hole...however was quite pleased with fitment...other than trimming about 1/2" off the side that butts up against the inner rocker area fit like a glove...ill get some pics uploaded here later this evening...and i really do like the slick single piece look, kinda like when you do all that work to slick out your firewall, and hide all the wiring and plumbing so all you see is yer engine...granted im not doing all that...only draw back is new floors and mounts will only be screwed into place until truck comes back from exhaust being as i need it running to pull it around to welder access...because theres a dadgum pos of a chevy powered ski boat in the way....well enuff rambling for now back to being a fab gnome...
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

:? .... :cry: .... :oops: ....stupid evil ups driver....at least i have some sunglasses now....stupid evil ups website....maybe the new reschedule date will actually happen....stupid stupid evil ups corporation.... :x
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Shame about the cab mounts. Just curious were they LMC? But the benefit is that the added beef will make them live twice as long I'm sure.
Same here, couldn't care less about the bling on my old dually. It was the work and making things easy on her to allow her to work!
Pa...lease don't let that chebby get close enough to rub off on the dually! :lol:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

:woohoo: ups finally showed with the floor pans...yes they are lmc...i was only expecting the lower part of the pan but the replacements cover all the way up to the body seam at firewall...which is awesome now i wont have to add any patch pieces other than on the side kick panels...but back too the cab stands/mounts a quick weld of 3 pieces of metal in there and they should be plenty strong enuff...and thanks to rain no further progress was made today...
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

well rain went away sorta and its been a serious noodle cooker out there, but have been making progress...as I started tacking in the floor pan my hood started going out, so coupled with my extra shaky hands and the inability to see the initial spots and first or second pass of 1/4" welds looked not so nice...after getting a new helmet I could see where I was supposed to be welding so at least the last few finish passes look not so ugly...not like it truly matters, once its ground down, + 2 coats of bed liner, and eventually floor insulation and new mip floor mat no one will ever see it...floor is way stiffer than its ever been...out of town working for the weekend, then on to the driver side next week...have to work out of town the next weekend too but money is 2.5 times better so provided I get pans done it will be new tires, and off to the exhaust shop woot woot...gat a buddy scrapping a mid 70s dodge motor home with 4 1yr old tires for rear that have 4000 miles on them, for 80$ with period correct rims(i.e. 16.5's)...however the end goal will be modern 16's with 4 aftermarket, n 2 steel....but for now they will be 16.5's painted old skool red...anyways thats all for now....
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

well pic time folks....
I'll just let the pics do all the talkin....enjoy
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

nice work! glad i'm not having to deal with as much rust, but you made good work of it. :thup: hood patina and the body look good in the pictures. personally love the greens and the cream color grille. should paint your wheels to match the grille :2cents: be driving this thing in no time...
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

SeapineF37 wrote:nice work! glad i'm not having to deal with as much rust, but you made good work of it. :thup: hood patina and the body look good in the pictures. personally love the greens and the cream color grille. should paint your wheels to match the grille :2cents: be driving this thing in no time...
thanks...its been a battle fighting the rain and all...As far as the rims go I had the same thoughts then I decided I liked the idea of going really old skool on them and painting them red
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:thup: :wink: :thup:
:woohoo:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

ok so am finally done with floors n cabstands...well at least the welding part...now its on to grinding and clean up...95% of the visible rust is surface only and just requires a lil cleanup...am going to undercoat behind the fuel tank to try and eliminate some of the echo as well as the insides of doors...talked to the exhaust shop again and addressed my concerns with my truck on their lot for a week with no way to keep engine secure...so they agreed to same price even with front cap on...hoping to be able to set it tomorrow so truck will look like a truck again :woohoo: ...anyways ill have more pics shortly
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Another F350 build? Awesome :thup:
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

freaknajeep wrote:...am going to undercoat behind the fuel tank to try and eliminate some of the echo as well as the insides of doors...
Have you thought about Peel & Seal from Lowes?

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... el#p711357
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.